Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Deals Sites

Options
  • 30-04-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Sites such as GroupOn, Living Social, Boards Deals etc - do you think these are a viable long term business? I ask as I may have the opportunity to work for one in the future. Initially it seemed like a dream job but doing some research there seems to be questions hanging over the viability of these sites as a business.

I'm left wondering if going to work for one is a wise move as all I've read so far indicates that it's not a particularly great business model and most will have problems which need to be address in the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You're right, it's not a great business model, at least not for retailers and not in the long term either. The market is saturated with them and people are tired of all the daily emails from so many companies with offers they don't want.

If you really wanted to get into this business though you could buy a clone website of Groupon for a few grand and set it up yourself. From there you'd need to do a hell of a lot of online promotion to get peoples email addresses to begin marketing the offers. There more than likely is niches that have yet to be filled, i.e. offers aimed at specific groups, i.e. wheelchair users, over 50's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks RATM- I wouldn't set one up myself. I have the potential to be employed by one of the biggest globally and while I was very attracted to the role, I read a little more on the model behind these companies and it's not inspiring reading.

Basically I'm wondering if it'd be a wise move to leave a job and go work for them.

Advertisement