Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Ownership Scheme forms

Options
  • 30-04-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭

I have downloaded and filled in a shared ownership application form from my City Council, but I am not sure about the documents they want attached so I wonder if someone could help me:
    They want
    1. A Certificate Of Income (I assume I get this from the revenue)
    2. Record of Savings (I have money in a deposit account, should I just send them a copy of my latest statement?)
    3. Stamped Tax forms (seems very vague; don't know exactly what particualr ones they want.
    4. Income Tax Reference Number (I assume this is my PPS No?)

One more thing:
    I am living in rented accomodation in Cork City but my official address is the same as my parents (which is in Cork County). I want to buy in Cork city, I presume having my official address is in the county does not prevent me from doing so?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

i was told this scheme has been stopped. the only thing you can get from the council is a mortgage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

i was told this scheme has been stopped. the only thing you can get from the council is a mortgage :mad:
    Dunno why I was able to d'load the form so. I am going to ring Citizen's Advice in the morning to find out.

lukin wrote: »
    Dunno why I was able to d'load the form so. I am going to ring Citizen's Advice in the morning to find out.
    Let me know how you get on

Pretty s***e so far. Citizen's Information didn't seem to know anything about it, they told me to ring the City Council so I got the number that deals with the Shared Ownership; I rang it a few times today and got no answer so I tried another number and was transferred to another line that I got no answer from either.
    Sent them an email and got no reply. I'm not surprised really, the reputation of that place goes before it.

Pretty s***e so far. Citizen's Information didn't seem to know anything about it, they told me to ring the City Council so I got the number that deals with the Shared Ownership; I rang it a few times today and got no answer so I tried another number and was transferred to another line that I got no answer from either.
    Sent them an email and got no reply. I'm not surprised really, the reputation of that place goes before it.

Typical same situation I had contact your local TD and councillor . You will get there email address on the net remember to cc Jan O'Sullivan and Phil Hogan , explain your circumstances that's what I done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 garrolly

Lukin, the shared ownership scheme was scrapped at the same time as the affordable housing scheme was discontinued. See here from citizens info site http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/shared_ownership.html.

See here also from Dept of Environment about the schemes being stood down http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/HomeOwnership/

garrolly wrote: »
    Lukin, the shared ownership scheme was scrapped at the same time as the affordable housing scheme was discontinued. See here from citizens info site http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/shared_ownership.html.

See here also from Dept of Environment about the schemes being stood down http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/HomeOwnership/

Thanks garrolly, I asked that in the email I sent to the Council a simple question; "had it been scrapped?". Seems incredible that they couldn't even tell me that.
    I was looking into the affordable housing scheme but that's been scraped too. The website is gone (www.affordablehome.ie). I love this country.
    One of my friends bought a house off NAMA, I spose I could go down that route.

garrolly wrote: »

Thanks garrolly, I asked that in the email I sent to the Council a simple question; "had it been scrapped?". Seems incredible that they couldn't even tell me that.
    I was looking into the affordable housing scheme but that's been scraped too. The website is gone (www.affordablehome.ie). I love this country.
    One of my friends bought a house off NAMA, I spose I could go down that route.
    Pm me details of the nama route could be an idea

Got an email back from the council this morning;
    "Unfortunately the Shared Ownership and Affordable Housing schemes were both suspended on a national scale by the Minister for Housing last summer. No new schemes have been announced to replace them. I hope this answers your question."

Got an email back from the council this morning;
    "Unfortunately the Shared Ownership and Affordable Housing schemes were both suspended on a national scale by the Minister for Housing last summer. No new schemes have been announced to replace them. I hope this answers your question."

Email that to Phil Hogan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Email that to Phil Hogan

Why? He knows the scheme has been scrapped.

Email that to Phil Hogan

Why? He knows the scheme has been scrap

I'm sure he is well aware , by forwarding the email you are just showing that people are still in need of such a scheme

I'm satified I got a reply by email eventually. Just annoying they don't answer the 'phones! If I'd known they don't answer calls then I would have just emailed them first thing.
    This is slightly off-topic so I hope the mods will forgive me but seeing as the two options I have for buying a house on a low income (shared ownership and affordable housing) are now gone, what other options (if any) are available to me?

Try looking at rent to buy thats what i a m currently doing at the moment. Also depends where you are looking to buy

Try looking at rent to buy thats what i a m currently doing at the moment. Also depends where you are looking to buy

Looked into it mate, there are rent to buy schemes but none have the type of property I want to buy or are in the area I want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mariposa23

What about the house purchase loan scheme? Ask the council for the application form. Good luck!

mariposa23 wrote: »
    What about the house purchase loan scheme? Ask the council for the application form. Good luck!

I've looked in to that but they will only give you a loan if your working in the same job for 2years or more and still need 10% deposit, Its really just like the banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sparkles123

I am not surprised Lucan that you had to go "digging" for information on this scheme, count yourself lucky that you didn't partake in it. I did 11 years ago and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made, it is impossible to get out of unless they allow you to sell the property. It is offered to people that will never be able to completly buy out the councils share, or have a real morgage. They wont allow you to pay the full morgage because of your means and lure you into believing that you will one day own this property when in actual fact unless you win the lotto or get a substantial inheritance this will never happen. It is a rip off. I am in negetive equity on this morgage and will have to ask the council tommorrow if they will allow me debt forgiveness on this part, as I am having trouble meeting the repayments. I am not sure if I will be entitled to rent allowence once the house has sold, they will not give me a straight answer as the morgage is in arrears. I am in limbo as to where I will be when the house sells, whether I will be allowed rent allowence to rent privatly for a while, I know the waiting list is about 6 years, or if I would be entitled to it as with the last 11 years I have been in receipt of a subsidy of 54 towards the rented part of the morgage. Does this account for my rent allowence period and if so will I still have to go on a waiting list, if anybody has any answers for me it would be greatly apreciated.

I am not surprised Lucan that you had to go "digging" for information on this scheme, count yourself lucky that you didn't partake in it. I did 11 years ago and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made, it is impossible to get out of unless they allow you to sell the property. It is offered to people that will never be able to completly buy out the councils share, or have a real morgage. They wont allow you to pay the full morgage because of your means and lure you into believing that you will one day own this property when in actual fact unless you win the lotto or get a substantial inheritance this will never happen. It is a rip off. I am in negetive equity on this morgage and will have to ask the council tommorrow if they will allow me debt forgiveness on this part, as I am having trouble meeting the repayments. I am not sure if I will be entitled to rent allowence once the house has sold, they will not give me a straight answer as the morgage is in arrears. I am in limbo as to where I will be when the house sells, whether I will be allowed rent allowence to rent privatly for a while, I know the waiting list is about 6 years, or if I would be entitled to it as with the last 11 years I have been in receipt of a subsidy of 54 towards the rented part of the morgage. Does this account for my rent allowence period and if so will I still have to go on a waiting list, if anybody has any answers for me it would be greatly apreciated.

Sorry to hear that mate, hope it all works out for you in the end.

Advertisement