Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Licence/shotgun

Options
  • 30-04-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, just looking for some info on what The chances of acquiring a restricted licence for a shotgun are as my first fire arm licence... The reason for this is I would be looking to import a mossberg 500 from the states and the model I'm looking for comes with a 18.5 inch barrel. I was also looking for any info on time scale for importing and the process
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The problem isn't so much the restricted status (though you will need a restricted licence), it's the barrel length. See here, here, here or here for past discussions on this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

keno99999 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some info on what The chances of acquiring a restricted licence for a shotgun are as my first fire arm licence... The reason for this is I would be looking to import a mossberg 500 from the states and the model I'm looking for comes with a 18.5 inch barrel. I was also looking for any info on time scale for importing and the process
    Cheers

Don't bother , a shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel is about as much use as a glass hammer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Cant see the appeal of a pump action with such a short barrel :confused:

What are you planning to shoot???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

That gun has cylinder bore which delivers wide spread and it's short barrel will give poor range. Its simply designed for close quarter combat not hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most of the factory 18.5" barrelled 500 series also have 6 shot magazines which would add another layer of hassle onto your application.
    I don't see how you'd apply for one legitimately as the spread of shot from an 18.5" barrel is not effective for any sort of hunting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Most of the factory 18.5" barrelled 500 series also have 6 shot magazines which would add another layer of hassle onto your application.
    I don't see how you'd apply for one legitimately as the spread of shot from an 18.5" barrel is not effective for any sort of hunting.

Its actually no hassle at all if you're looking down the non restricted root because like mine you just put a plastic tubing in that prevents more than 3 rounds been loaded.

but if he got the restricted licence for barrel length(if you can) he wouldn't have to plug the mag and could buy slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Don't bother , a shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel is about as much use as a glass hammer .

How and Why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

garv123 wrote: »
    Its actually no hassle at all if you're looking down the non restricted root because like mine you just put a plastic tubing in that prevents more than 3 rounds been loaded.

but if he got the restricted licence for barrel length(if you can) he wouldn't have to plug the mag and could buy slugs.

How does that work? If you applied for a restricted license and were granted it does that entitle you to have a short barreled, multiple shot, pistol grip shotgun?
    Or can the Super grant it conditionally with a requirement that it is restricted to 3 shots permanantly and has a conventional stock?

In any case I think the 'Good Reason' for this applicant would be a hard sell to even a reasonably tolerant Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

How does that work? If you applied for a restricted license and were granted it does that entitle you to have a short barreled, multiple shot, pistol grip shotgun?
    Or can the Super grant it conditionally with a requirement that it is restricted to 3 shots permanantly and has a conventional stock?

In any case I think the 'Good Reason' for this applicant would be a hard sell to even a reasonably tolerant Superintendent.

agree and he definitely will not get a licence for a barrel under 24 inches

Yes, if that licence is for a short barrelled, multiple shot, pistol grip shotgun.
    Adding those parts after getting the licence for a long-barrelled, single shot, comb stock shotgun would be illegal under at least two parts of the act.
    It'd have to be a Chief Super as the barrel length alone is sufficient for the restricted status, but aside from that point, yes, he could indeed grant it conditionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Curious to know does anybody have a restricted shotgun licence or how many are in the country? Never seen someone on here or anywhere else with one.
    And what was their valid reason for getting it?

Slugs for abroad boar hunting is the only reason i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Curious to know does anybody have a restricted shotgun licence or how many are in the country? Never seen someone on here or anywhere else with one.

+1

Are slugs even legal here? Ive never seen them for sale BUT I have seen a handful of empty shells on our gun club land a few years ago. They wouldnt have been used for deer or anything, I remember seeing some old oil cans in the same place with serious holes in them so I assume thats what was being shot :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Gunhappy_ie has a Spas 15 which must be on a restricted licence, he's the only one I know of on here that has one
    +1

Are slugs even legal here? Ive never seen them for sale BUT I have seen a handful of empty shells on our gun club land a few years ago.

They're restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

+1

Are slugs even legal here? Ive never seen them for sale BUT I have seen a handful of empty shells on our gun club land a few years ago. They wouldnt have been used for deer or anything, I remember seeing some old oil cans in the same place with serious holes in them so I assume thats what was being shot :confused:

Yes slugs are legal here although restricted.

To answer Garv.
    Yes there are restricted shotguns out there ,but most folks will use them for IPSC out of the ROI,seeing our enlightned Govt decided it was "combat shooting":rolleyes::rolleyes:.However they can also be used for vermin shooting too as a three shot rule doesnt count for vermin IE crows and piegons.
    As well as hunting boar and deer outside this enlightned little island.

Also there is TWO disiplines in 1500/BDMP that require a multi semi or pump shotgun.Which I would be intrested in getting started over here if anyone else is.;)

As for the 18.5 in barrel story.It is not necessarily true that you wont get a liscense for it either.There are a few old Winchester 1897 hammer pumps still around that served on both sides of the civil war and war of independance here think they are around the 16in or 20 in mark?.
    ASFIK they are held on restricted liscenses,although I doubt many folks shoot them much anymore as their antique value is growing.
    However I'd say getting one in new might be a well different story.
    Have seen folks use ultra short barrels for hunting and skeet in the US.BUT many of them have been tuned,by back boring and adding chokes,they use them in really heavy brush or swamp.

For "combat" You would really want to be taking off another 8.5ins of barrel.:p [Which is what most pros do,and re choke it to whatever they like themselves.] Wouldnt like to try a quick vechicle egress with 18.5ins of barrel snarling up in the saftey belt or whatever.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

@ Grizzly: you say the three shot rule doesn't count for pigeons and crows. Does that apply to all unrestricted semi autos? Or only ones under a restricted licence.

Seen a few restricted shotguns with pistol grips, ten shot mag, combi gun shotgun top barrel rifle lower barrel in Ireland.
    Also seen a couple on the shelves in Landers in Tralee when he was in business, loved that shop because you could find all sorts of guns in there.

Hunter21 wrote: »
    @ Grizzly: you say the three shot rule doesn't count for pigeons and crows. Does that apply to all unrestricted semi autos? Or only ones under a restricted licence.
    I think Grizzly's referring to the Wildlife Act rules Hunter; under the Firearms Act rules, you cannot have a shotgun with more than three rounds on an unrestricted licence, whether you're shooting clays, fowl or foxes.

Seen a few restricted shotguns with pistol grips, ten shot mag, combi gun shotgun top barrel rifle lower barrel in Ireland.
    Also seen a couple on the shelves in Landers in Tralee when he was in business, loved that shop because you could find all sorts of guns in there.

Fact!! Tim was always one for the mild to wild selection in the gun room.
    Great pity he called it a day,and fair dues to him he had some unique pieces down there ,even in antique guns.
    BTW the Combi rifle/shotgun is unrestricted here.Quite a nifty piece those.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sparks wrote: »
    I think Grizzly's referring to the Wildlife Act rules Hunter; under the Firearms Act rules, you cannot have a shotgun with more than three rounds on an unrestricted licence, whether you're shooting clays, fowl or foxes.

Thanks for that Sparks, reason I ask is because a mate swears that your allowed take the plug out for vermin shooting when I was skeptical of the idea.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Fact!! Tim was always one for the mild to wild selection in the gun room.
    Great pity he called it a day,and fair dues to him he had some unique pieces down there ,even in antique guns.
    BTW the Combi rifle/shotgun is unrestricted here.Quite a nifty piece those.:)

Tim was a legend if you ask me. Sound man, would always spend time with the customer no matter what your after. Also a good man for advice, especially on shooting techniques and tips.
    Pity the shops gone :( mainly due to slow Garda licensing slowing down the buying process.
    He had a combi rifle/shotgun down there last September and it was restricted as it had a larger capacity mag.. It looked like something out of robocop..

Thanks for that Sparks, reason I ask is because a mate swears that your allowed take the plug out for vermin shooting when I was skeptical of the idea.
    You were right to be skeptical. Pull that plug out without a restricted licence and you're breaking the firearms act and are in possession of an unlicenced restricted firearm, strictly speaking.

Sparks wrote: »
    You were right to be skeptical. Pull that plug out without a restricted licence and you're breaking the firearms act and are in possession of an unlicenced restricted firearm, strictly speaking.

If you can't hit something with three shots anyway you should just put the gun away :D

• Advertisement

If you can't hit something with three shots anyway you should just put the gun away :D
    I think you might get an exception to that rule if there were four things to shoot at at once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If memory serves me correct you could have more than 3 in the mag on the old licences to shoot vermin, but not to shoot game.

But then I may by wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

How and Why :confused:
    It has no practical application in any hunting or wild-fowling scenario . Over here in the States these 18.5 inch Mossberg's are advertised as " home defense " shotguns . IMG_0706-1.JPG
    My Mossberg 500 with 18.5 barrel removed and a 24 inch rifled barrel installed , sight is a Bushnell red dot with changeable reticule . I use it as a pig gun in close cover .

He had a combi rifle/shotgun down there last September and it was restricted as it had a larger capacity mag.. It looked like something out of robocop..

I have heard many tales of this legendary beast!!But no one seems to be able to describe it or name it?Was it somthing like this? The Crossfire?

100108518-1-L.JPG

'Cos if that is what it was .It's a collectible,but otherwise utter and total POS.Hence the reason it isnt made anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

But it looks well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Franchi spas 12 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

No. That is a rifle underneath. it is some sort of combi

It's very similar to that, but as far as I can remember it had a bigger shotgun ammo mag, had a red dot sight, a collapsible forearm pistol grip and the rifle barrel was of bigger caliber.

And yes it was a beast! :D

Tim was saying the owner was having issues with the local Gardai licensing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Maybe it was a saiga 12 ? Sort of a ak-47 in shotgun form ?

http://www.saiga-12.com/

• Advertisement

It's very similar to that, but as far as I can remember it had a bigger shotgun ammo mag, had a red dot sight, a collapsible forearm pistol grip and the rifle barrel was of bigger caliber.

And yes it was a beast! :D

Tim was saying the owner was having issues with the local Gardai licensing it.

Sure you are not getting that mixed up with a Remington870 pump shotgun he had there in stock??:confused:
    It sounds very simmilar to one I saw there.10 shot,red dot sight, side folding stock and a " Tommy gun" style foregrip on the slide action?? Was around 650 euros??

If it was a saiga12 shotgun,I'd have known about it,as I had Tim on the lookout for me on one of those.They are as rare as the proveribal hens teeth here.There are about six of them out there in the ROI.

Advertisement