Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheek of some people...

• 30-04-2012 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭@rti-shm@rti

One of my friends got an invite to a wedding recently and on the wedding invite it stated that the gifts jad to be €250 minimum in cash. Anyone else think this is absolutely RIDICULOUS. I don't know where the wedding is but I don't think it's relevant, if a couple want to have a mad, lavish wedding they should surely make sure they can afford it first no? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Simple solution, don't go to the wedding, I wouldn't anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

One of my friends got an invite to a wedding recently and on the wedding invite it stated that the gifts jad to be €250 minimum in cash. Anyone else think this is absolutely RIDICULOUS. I don't know where the wedding is but I don't think it's relevant, if a couple want to have a mad, lavish wedding they should surely make sure they can afford it first no? :confused:

there trying to get every one to pay for the wedding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Me neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Apparently that's the going rate nowadays, stating it on the invite on the other hand is a bit rude though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

is this a "facebook" friend ?

Do what we did to one of the lads ..... a gang of you get together and get the same present .... a toaster from Argos ..... he ended out with 47 toasters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Thats like a nightclub sending you VIP tickets, that ask you for an entrance fee when you arrive.

Fcuk em OP, send em an email (dont waste the money on a stamp) declining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Wow, Im glad I don't have this type of "friend" inviting me to weddings. It would make you weep for humanity when you hear shít like this.

That's not a wedding invite it's a "give us money or ELSE" letter ffs

throw it in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I know a girl (gowl) like this, she demands that her boyfriend (my mate) buy her this and that and thats not good enough, buy the exact same thing except twice the price. Some people don't deserve to share our air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Makes note ..... do NOT mention anything about gifts on wedding invite.

(recently proposed to my GF...now my Fiancee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't go just out of principle. Scabby bastards shouldn't have a wedding they can't afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

That's ****ing shocking.. there must be yank in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'd expect to mount the bride at that price.
    Or at least a bridesmaid.
    Or the brides ma.
    €250 doesn't go as far as it used too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭@rti-shm@rti

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Apparently that's the going rate nowadays, stating it on the invite on the other hand is a bit rude though

Jaysis - really?? I thought €150 was enough for a person on their own

I'll be destitute by the end of the year if that's the case

PCPhoto wrote: »

Do what we did to one of the lads ..... a gang of you get together and get the same present .... a toaster from Argos ..... he ended out with 47 toasters.

I like this toaster plan. Have a few weddings this year from the same circle. Perhaps one toaster could do all events. Better than 250 notes anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Get a 250 page A4 pad.
    Get a marker and write € on each page.
    Then Post it to them.

250 'Euros'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€150 is more than enough as a couple. If you're a bestman/groomsman/bridesmaid, maybe a little more but otherwise, good luck.

Demanding a minimum is like selling tickets and frankly I'd rather buy a €250 ticket to Electric Picnic than to some pretentious dick's wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

OldGoat wrote: »
    Or the brides ma.

Claaaaaasic lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysis - really?? I thought €150 was enough for a person on their own
    €50 is more than enough for a person going on their own. €250 is what you give your brother or sister, not some friend that you see twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I suggest you send them a letter asking will they give a receipt for your gift and a guarantee that it will be returned if the marriage lasts less than (say 3) years before it ends in divorce. I couldn't see such a pair of mercenary cnuts bearing the sight of each other for longer than that.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Give them 25 post dated cheques

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

seamus wrote: »
    €50 is more than enough for a person going on their own. €250 is what you give your brother or sister, not some friend that you see twice a year.

http://boards.ie/tre/2055454434 ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I suggest you send them a letter asking will they give a receipt for your gift and a guarantee that it will be returned if the marriage lasts less than (say 3) years before it ends in divorce. I couldn't see such a pair of mercenary cnuts bearing the sight of each other for longer than that.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This, because in 4 years when they are both getting married to other people you will be expected to give another present:p

or the toaster idea (but still ask for letter & receipts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Going rate lol - as if it's petrol! :pac:
    Not having a go at you, just the accepted mindset that there's a set rate. Oh the romance and warmth! :p
    I've heard if those invites before - they're hilarious! If other such threads are anything to go by, there will be people defending it.

I think you should be as generous as you can as a wedding guest, but not to the point of being broke if an "accepted" amount will do that to you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just a clever way for them to 'invite' the 10,000 people who they don't want there but will whinge for years if they're snubbed, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

that's shocking... Just don't go your arrive and give them an IOU card and make sure you eat and drink plenty on the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Buy a wedding card, write the usual guff in it and add a sentence about how you hope your gift gets them started well on their marriage. Put the card in the envelope, seal the envelope, let it dry, then open the envelope ensuring it looks carefully pried open. Go to the wedding have a great time, if it's an open bar drink your fill. When they are opening the cards after the wedding they will find your empty card and wonder which of their guests stole the money you gifted them. Whenever you see them after the wedding you can ask them if they bought something nice with your money and imply that you were especially generous just to see their upset faces. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Apparently that's the going rate nowadays

Going rate ??? It's not petrol we're talking about here.
    I think that is a shocking amount to expect off someone.

At the end of the day, it should be the taught the counts not the amount of money that is spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Poo into an envelope and send it to your friend.

Dunno what that'll achieve but............still.........

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

give them what you want or what you feel is appropriate. If they don't like it then that's there problem.

When i see an invite that has a "gift list" they get a bank draft, "donations only" = set of wine glasses.

Don't tell me what to get you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

PCPhoto wrote: »

That is truly fantastic. Kudos.

If someone did that to me I'd tell them where to go. Well actually I wouldn't... but I definitely wouldn't go to the wedding. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Going rate ??? It's not petrol we're talking about here.
    I think that is a shocking amount to expect off someone.

At the end of the day, it should be the taught the counts not the amount of money that is spent.

I think you mean "the taut".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Personally I think the OP is being very mean, in all fairness €2.50 is hardly going to break the bank, you wouldn't even get a pint for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

€250 minimum in cash

Sounds like they are getting married for the love of money rather than anything else.

Be good enough if no one turned up bar the parents, siblings and the immediate wedding entourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Turn up dressed as a horse and ask if they'd like to put a saddle on your back and f***ing ride you as they're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Make a donation (the amount of your choosing) to a charity on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I would give them €2.50.........................Say there was a typo on the invite. Would love to their faces when every envelope has that familiar jingle of coins!!

Failing that take a dump on the brides dress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

got an invite from a distant relative for her wedding, it stated cash only gifts on the invite but stating the amount is a first i've heard, i wouldnt go anyways

in this day and age 50 euro per person imo

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Weddings just seem like ridiculous costly things. I think I will just elope and then come back and throw a massive party for friends/family. Weddings seem kind of tacky nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

OldGoat wrote: »
    Or the brides ma.

I would want a jant with all three of em, with the priest making a video for that kinda dosh. Bolloxs to them and their sponsored wedding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Is this for real?! ugh, seriously dont go.I cant believe the neck of some people, Im engaged and wont be expecting people to pay for the wedding with gifts, I am ,shock horror, saving to have the wedding I want. I am not planning to have favours and some of the so called extras that are apparantly essential to a wedding (ie a candy buffet? chocolate fountain?this was news to me but Im out of touch).I wont be expecting big presents either or even any in some cases, weddings cost money to attend, but if people turn up and have some fun that will make my day, genuninely, and if they want to throw in a toaster or 47 so be it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

To be honest, what a fantastic way of getting rid of people you didn't want to come but had to invite anyway.....

That's what it sounds like to me OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

iguana wrote: »
    Buy a wedding card, write the usual guff in it and add a sentence about how you hope your gift gets them started well on their marriage. Put the card in the envelope, seal the envelope, let it dry, then open the envelope ensuring it looks carefully pried open. Go to the wedding have a great time, if it's an open bar drink your fill. When they are opening the cards after the wedding they will find your empty card and wonder which of their guests stole the money you gifted them. Whenever you see them after the wedding you can ask them if they bought something nice with your money and imply that you were especially generous just to see their upset faces. :D

That plan is just.... Ingenius, I want to see their faces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

God people have a hard neck. I hope no one turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Pay with monopoly money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That's not a wedding gift, that's an out and out extortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Be just as smart back send them your RSVP saying you'll be there and not turn up, that will cost the miserable f***ers a few quid of their extortion money. If asked just say ya woke up dying the day of the wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I would genuinely love to find out what possessed those people to ask people for €250 on the invitation - Just to see how they defend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hate wedding invitations asking for monetary gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's possible they have the Scabby **** gene, an awful disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd hand the dosh over so long as the couple wear your logo on the day as part of the sponsorship deal

• Advertisement
Advertisement