Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best oil prices

Options
  • 30-04-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Just moved into a house with oil heating and got 200 quids worth and it only lasted less than a month. I got it with Morris oil.

Considering leaving the gas on for long periods for a month it would cost on average 100.

Should 200 be lasting longer?

I dont have them on all day and i dont have all the heaters on at the same time.

Is there a cheaper place to go to?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd guess anywhere is going to be reasonably close in terms of pricing, you might get it for a little cheaper but not much.
    What sort of house is it, how efficient is the insulation, how old the boiler, etc are issues that will impact more upon your spend on oil than saving a few euro on a tank I'd imagine.
    I raise this because we bought into a house years ago that had ridiculously poor insulation to the degree where the boiler was in an outside shed and we had to heat the unlagged pipes running 20ft underground into the house before anything would even start to warm. Poor attic insulation, cavity walls and old pipes all contributed to a bottomless pit when spending money on heating.
    So, what's the story morning glory?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

200e worth of oil only lasting a month??
    Either your leaving your boiler on alot or something could be up with your boiler.

How long do you have the heat set to come on for each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

sydsad wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Just moved into a house with oil heating and got 200 quids worth and it only lasted less than a month. I got it with Morris oil.

Considering leaving the gas on for long periods for a month it would cost on average 100.

Should 200 be lasting longer?

I dont have them on all day and i dont have all the heaters on at the same time.

Is there a cheaper place to go to?

Thanks

CHeck out cheapestoil.ie

200 quids worth of oil should be lasting you at lot longer than that. FYI, tax rate on oil is going up soon, this was in last budget but only kicking in in summer.

- you may have boiler on for too long
    - oil stolen?
    - boiler could be crap/old/need of maintenance/replacing
    - insulation in house could be rubbish, first stop, the attic, is there 250-300mm of insulation in attic, if no, get area and DIY (with a dust mask on).

- Other suggestions: I heard the Queen of England puts on another jumper if she is feeling chilly, do likewise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

the price of heating oil is increasing tonight with an extra carbon tax.that will make it 71 cent in every euro the governmment get

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

Gregg,

The house was recently done up, apparently new wiring, pipes etc. And before i moved the landlord said he insulted the attic. Its a big enough house. But i dont leave on all the heater in the place when the heating is on. I must have a look at the boiler actually. I dont know how old it is.

Cabaal,

Well we have the sitting room, hall and the main bedroom usually on and maybe the jacks when i switch it on. Maybe for 2-3 hours. Might do this 2-3 times a day, depending on how cold it is. I miss having gas.

Im new to this oil stuff so i appreciate the feedback. Sound.

Max,

I have about 3 layers of clothes on me atm haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I worked in the oil business for years and in the industry we always reckoned the average house would use about .5 of a gallon an hour. So this is approx 2.27 litres per hour. For €200 the customer would have got about 212 litres at the price 4 to 6 weeks ago. This means that that the amount of oil purchased would have provided enough heat for approx 93 hours of heating or 3 hours per day.

I hope this clarifies the matter for you.

Also, given the cost of delivery; the lower the volume delivered the higher the per litre price, as at lower volume deliveries a company will put out a lower overall volume and the costs of running the business have to be got from every litre of oil delivered.

Because of taxes, local competition, international market prices and sterling/euro exchange rate there is a low gross profit margin on every litre.

I hope the above is of some help in explaining why you got such a short heating time for your money.;)

Thanks Minister

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

wellboytoo wrote: »
    the price of heating oil is increasing tonight with an extra carbon tax.that will make it 71 cent in every euro the governmment get

On heating oil, the government take is quite small compared to dielsel & petrol.

Heating oil is about 90c a litre, about 4c is carbon tax, 5c is excise duty and 11c is vat (13.5%). So on heating oil, about 20c goes to paying towards social welfare, education, roads etc etc, about 8c goes to distributor and the balance of 62c is the actual cost from the refinery.

Whereas on diesel, the cost is about the same - 62c, the distributor/retailer gets about 10c between them and the other 86c goes to government and on petrol its about 95c that goes to government.

Back to the OP - a small delivery will ahve a higher per litre cost, so one month is close enough to what you'll get. Best valu at present is an open fire at almost half the cost of oil and 30% less than gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I've been dealing with Morris Oil for a long time and found them excellent but I got an email from them recently saying that order oil now before the carbon tax comes in and to ring us or check or web site for a great quote.

Being checking oil prices in Waterford for the last 6/8 months and Morris Oil have consistently had the dearest price.

Todays example.

Morisoil.jpg

I ended up getting 260 odds worth with campus.

Just gonna used it room to room this time. And only when its freezing. No more willie nillie oil using for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Get your boiler serviced - we were guzzling oil last year, €70 on a service saw a huge difference.

Advertisement