Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step down transformer LED Video Display

Options
  • 30-04-2012 2:36pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi There,

Looking for some advice on this :

I brought in a 4mtr X 1mtr LED Vido Display screen from Korea, despite when ordering the unit and being told it would be compatible for the Irish Market it came with a US plug ,

Seeing this prompted us to open up the screen to have a look at the power boards which were rated at 110V, there was 18 of them.

Each board uses 50 watts X 18 = 900 watts output ,

My question is do I have to use a transformer like you would see on a building site (yellow box unit to use power tools at 110) or is there something better out there on the irish market for my needs.

Ringing Radionc's this is being suggested to me :

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/auto-transformers/3476652/

which is pretty big and bulky ,

Any help would be greatly appreciated ,

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Hi There,

Looking for some advice on this :

I brought in a 4mtr X 1mtr LED Vido Display screen from Korea, despite when ordering the unit and being told it would be compatible for the Irish Market it came with a US plug ,

Seeing this prompted us to open up the screen to have a look at the power boards which were rated at 110V, there was 18 of them.

Each board uses 50 watts X 18 = 900 watts output ,

My question is do I have to use a transformer like you would see on a building site (yellow box unit to use power tools at 110) or is there something better out there on the irish market for my needs.

Ringing Radionc's this is being suggested to me :

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/auto-transformers/3476652/

which is pretty big and bulky ,

Any help would be greatly appreciated ,

Cheers

you'll need a trafo with a continuous rating suitable for your screen

either the wattage or amps preferably should be marked on your screen

if its 900watt? a 1000va transformer could be undersized slightly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

M cebee wrote: »
    you'll need a trafo with a continuous rating suitable for your screen

either the wattage or amps preferably should be marked on your screen

if its 900watt? a 1000va transformer could be undersized slightly

Supplier said it uses 900 Watts,

A trafo is the only option then is it ?

If so should I go with the 2000 watt output version ?

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/auto-transformers/3476668/

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

is there a tranformer or power supply unit that came with the unit....post a pic if you can
    because it might be cheaper to buy a 220volt one if it only a 48 24v or 12v psu

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

is there a tranformer or power supply unit that came with the unit....post a pic if you can

No nothing came with it at all , just the US /Korean plug which ran into the power board which looped onto the next one.

I was thinking there should of being something with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If its 900 watts, it will likely be expensive no matter what the secondary voltage.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If its 900 watts, it will likely be expensive no matter what the secondary voltage.

The expense is not really the issue , Il be billing the supplier off my next order ,

Its just a traffo looks dam ugly and il have to find somewhere to hide it , was hoping there could be a smaller solution .

Cheers for the advise so far folks , its much appreicated

The expense is not really the issue , Il be billing the supplier off my next order ,

Its just a traffo looks dam ugly and il have to find somewhere to hide it , was hoping there could be a smaller solution .

Cheers for the advise so far folks , its much appreicated

Yes but i was just saying a 12v transformer to supply 900watt loads would be no cheaper than a 110v one really, if one could be got at all. But its 110 -115v needed here anyway.

As said, a 2kva 110v transformer should work fine, if its a 110v supply the screen needs.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes but i was just saying a 12v transformer to supply 900watt loads would be no cheaper than a 110v one really, if one could be got at all. But its 110 -115v needed here anyway.

As said, a 2kva 110v transformer should work fine, if its a 110v supply the screen needs.

Yep 110 is required , says it on the power boards thought I had taken a pic of the boards but unfortunately I hadn't.

Its currently running off 1.5kva traffo, We got one to try , I suppose Il have to go out and buy the 2kva traffo in the morning if there is no other options.

Thanks again

Yep 110 is required , says it on the power boards thought I had taken a pic of the boards but unfortunately I hadn't.

Its currently running off 1.5kva traffo, We got one to try , I suppose Il have to go out and buy the 2kva traffo in the morning if there is no other options.

Thanks again

Well 1kva would possibly run it but would be a bit tight due to possible power factor below parity.

1.5kva would almost certainly run it if you can get one once its rated for continuous use.

• Advertisement

It might be a bit tight with the 1000VA. In theory 900va could be enough, but it would be hard to know without testing the exact current the screen actually takes.

If you can measure that while its working from the 1500va supply, and its 8 amps or less, then the 1000va will do the job.

You would parallel the 2 sets of output windings on the transformer you linked then, if the screen takes 8 amps or less.

Advertisement