Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DrayTek (and other 3rd party modems) with Eircom Broadband?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried Draytek Vigor 120 or similar standalone (dedicated) ADSL+ modems with Eircom NGB network?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble with reliability/stability of my connection and I'm wondering if a better modem could help that, at least partially.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did you check the ADSL Parameters which are likely pre-set for UK ISPs?

So you have a router connected to it or a PC direct to internet?

I don't the modem, but do have a Draytek router which has been ultra reliable over the past number of years.

If I was to buy a modem to replace the Eircom supplied one I would be looking to the Draytek range because of my good experience with their router.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I tried both the Draytek 2820n and 2710n but have since moved onto the Billion 7800n which in my opinion is superior to the Draytek's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Post line stats from the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Draytek Vigor 120 or similar standalone (dedicated) ADSL+ modems with Eircom NGB network?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble with reliability/stability of my connection and I'm wondering if a better modem could help that, at least partially.

Likewise I don't know this specific modem, though have seen Draytek in the past and found it fine with standard broadband. That was a few years ago and Adsl modems have moved on. I have my own preference for a particular model, though once they're not over complicated, then this does me. Often older modems have a robustness as well, which the newer, lighter modems fail to appreciate; especially when you drop one on the floor.

Once the Draytek modem is Adsl compatible, and configures easy, then it should be ok with NGB. If you are having a connection problem, I wouldn't recommend a hard reset at first. Remove the Adsl splitter, restart the modem and test the modem on the main phone point.

http://bit.ly/BBcheckList

If you need help or just want to check if your modem is syncing, give technical Support a call.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Let me know if I can advise further.

Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

MuffinsDa wrote: »

Total pain. Even when I got it up and going it's liable to lose it's settings
    Those available for here have been more than likely come preconfigured for PPPoA in the UK.
    Easy enough to enter our values, but that's when the "fun" starts!
    Lots of stuff in various forums, the Australian ones more amusing if nothing ekes.
    All you'll get from their support is to reset the modem.
    Thanks be for the most recent Zyxel firmware, hope it works. My speeds seem steady so far.

Advertisement