Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failing Exams

• 30-04-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

So i'm a bit screwed for a couple of my exams (1 of which is tomorrow).

Essentially there is no possible way I can pass tomorrow's exam (i'm not being melodramatic). Is there any point in going in? I literally will only be able to write my name down.

If possible I'd like to avoid the shame and ignominy of having to go into an exam and sit there until I'm allowed to hand up a blank sheet and leave.

Should I got into the exam?
    Can I sit the repeats (with the summer to study I might have a chance) having not sat the original exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

yep you can sit them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

You will be limited to a maximum of 40% in every repeat exam that you you sit through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Gbear wrote: »
    So i'm a bit screwed for a couple of my exams (1 of which is tomorrow).

Essentially there is no possible way I can pass tomorrow's exam (i'm not being melodramatic). Is there any point in going in? I literally will only be able to write my name down.

If possible I'd like to avoid the shame and ignominy of having to go into an exam and sit there until I'm allowed to hand up a blank sheet and leave.

Should I got into the exam?
    Can I sit the repeats (with the summer to study I might have a chance) having not sat the original exam?

If you can somehow wing your way to 30% or more you might be able to pass by compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Go in. Write anything you know about the topic of each question and at least you will get some marks. You may get 30% and get compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Miaireland wrote: »
    Go in. Write anything you know about the topic of each question and at least you will get some marks. You may get 30% and get compensation.

You'd be surprised how little I know.
    I've felt worried about exams before but this is on a different scale.

I missed most of the classes and all of the material is in Spanish which I'm pretty poor at reading.

I know about the only getting 40% maximum and that's fine by me. I really don't like my course and I'd chuck it in the morning if I had the money but this is the 2nd course i've tried and after having (more or less) struggled through 2 years (out of 3), I may aswell get through the bloody thing. Getting poor grades doesn't concern me in the slightest so long as I pass.
    The degree itself is worth little enough to me but it's worth just enough that I want to finish it having wasted 2 years of my life on it already.

Even if I thought 10% was within my reach I'd have a bash. But I seriously wouldn't even be able to write a sentence down.

I'll tell you something, it's a ****ty feeling.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Don't worry too much! These things happen!

Try and set yourself up with a language exchange if you can.

Spanish is one of those languages that you can learn by speaking and chatting and it also has a vast amount of media that you can delve into, rather than drab, college-picked texts!

I took a few modules of Spanish back in the day and the way they approach it is incredibly dull. However, once you get chatting to Spanish speakers it suddenly makes sense!

Also, because Spanish is totally phonetic (spelling matches the speech) you can figure out the written language from speaking it / hearing it. Where as you'd struggle to do that if you were learning English or French.

Stick an ad up in the Dept. or the Student Centre (ask the information desk for a card)

Try the Electric / Old Oak etc too - there is some organisation doing free language nights / intercambios / exchanges..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I'd still attempt it if I was you. Seeing everyone else writing away might give u the metaphorical kick up the hole u need (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way).

I'd agree, maybe it'd be better off to turn up and do the exam. You might know more than you think you do!

However, a metaphorical kick up anything is a bit uncalled for to be honest. Not everyone's great a languages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

It might motivate him/her to study hard for their repeat exam. Cos it sounds as if they've nothing done. I'm not criticising, I've been there myself

OP: Also talk to the Spanish lecturers / department staff, they are one of the nicest departments on campus in my experience of them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Solair wrote: »
    I'd agree, maybe it'd be better off to turn up and do the exam. You might know more than you think you do!

However, a metaphorical kick up anything is a bit uncalled for to be honest. Not everyone's great a languages!
    kaji wrote: »
    It might motivate him/her to study hard for their repeat exam. Cos it sounds as if they've nothing done. I'm not criticising, I've been there myself

This right here.

The language itself is going okish. I should be ok for the exam in about a week's time, but the culture - well....
    Went to very few classes. Got very little from it. I don't really have a clue.

In a course you don't like, with particular subjects you like even less, once you fall behind, the hill becomes a mountain and then the mountain starts experiencing some severe tectonic activity.

Solair wrote: »
    OP: Also talk to the Spanish lecturers / department staff, they are one of the nicest departments on campus in my experience of them!!
    Absolutely. They've helped where they could.

Bizarrely, I can speak fluent French - that's why I picked this course. I thought I could go through the motions and the fact that I didn't really care about the course wouldn't matter. It has mattered, and although the french has been a big help, with spanish grammar especially, I was never up for the course in the way I needed to be.

Now I'm paying the price for that lack of forsight. It'd be fine if I was only just out of secondary school but I started another course and chucked that aswell. This time i've had to pay out of my own (or my parents in this case) pocket and if I don't get this degree, what then?

I mean I don't know what I'd do with an arts degree anyway, but not having an arts degree is considerably worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Sit it,you might surprise yourself, you could try cramming some past exam questions this evening.g.luck either way!

Advertisement