Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are British people stingy or more realistic?

• 30-04-2012 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Following on from the "€250 wedding gift" thread I thought I'd ask your opinions.

In the UK it's normal for a family to give £30-50 as a wedding gift, depending on how close you are to the folks getting married.

Equally, for birthdays £10 or £20 is normal or maybe £50 for a 21st for your kids or close family or something, and communions/confirmations are £20 too, at most usually.

When I moved over here I couldn't believe it. The tiger was just ending(2007) and people were giving crazy amounts. My daughter got hundreds for her first communion and we felt guilty as fcuk! Why would an aunt or uncle who sees her once a year give €100 to an 8 year old???

Me and the family travelled to the UK for a friend's wedding recently and gave £50 as a gift, as did almost everyone we knew, some gave less.

So are we British more realistic or just stingy in your eyes?

On phone so can't add poll, sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

A grand bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think Irish people worry too much about what other people think of them so if they hear the going rate for an event is 100, 250 etc they will do their best to give that even if they can't really afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Realistic, you'd wanna be some sort of moron to be giving a gift of €200 for a wedding. Unless you are VERY well off that's an obscene amount of money for a wedding gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I don't think it's stinginess, we're just absurdly loose with money.

People are happy enough to splash out on giving stupid gifts for stupid events and then whinge about the state of the economy or price of potatoes or whatever it is people whinge about nowadays.

Of course, not everybody is happy enough to splash out, but those people are just being stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

British people in general hate their families

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

John Doe1 wrote: »

I hear they still eat the ones that die, in some parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's our public sector wages and welfare rates being higher that gives us more scope to splurge. Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Nodin wrote: »
    John Doe1 wrote: »

I hear they still eat the ones that die, in some parts.

With gravy.

Cheap, cheap gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

AH answer: The British hate everything except pubs, curries and pies.

Real answer: They're generally more realistic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Far more realistic. They seem to know the value of money. We pay almost anything we are asked and that was especially true during the celtic tiger. Even now during the recession people don't pay too much attention to prices.

I have a shop near me and it is the cheapest in my locality. But people don't bother going into it. They head for the nearest big name supermarket chain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

£30-£50 over in the UK will prob go further that €250 will over here!

N.B (May not be true)

It's our public sector wages and welfare rates being higher that gives us more scope to splurge. Probably.

We are going to need the equivalent to Goodwin's law for this soon.

Ghandee wrote: »
    £30-£50 over in the UK will prob go further that €250 will over here!

N.B (May not be true)

My Gran buys 6 rasher packs of Denny's bacon at buy one get one free for £1 in Poundland so you may be onto something...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smish

English are alot tighter. I know from personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i blame the euro ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 smirker

Irish people are more generous. Hosting a wedding is expensive and most people see the present as a way of making a contribution. It is a hige burden on a couple to have to pay the lot themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

smirker wrote: »
    Irish people are more generous. Hosting a wedding is expensive and most people see the present as a way of making a contribution. It is a hige burden on a couple to have to pay the lot themselves.

You don't have to burden yourself with debt, it can be done cheaply enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

summerskin wrote: »

stingy.

My (Irish) mother in law has a theory that it's because Irish people were/saw themselves as poor for so long that they now over-compensate at every opportunity.

She says this as one of the biggest offenders, having grown up in poverty(real poverty, parents dying young and the kids having to work from 13 to raise the younger siblings), and then in the boom buying 6 properties, thankfully in London so the collapse didn't affect them too much. The presents she gives are mental, might as well just buy PC World for the grandkids and be done with it...

They don't have to have a big wedding, thus relieving the huge burden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Realistic. Irish people seem to feel that the higher the price paid the more value they're getting regardless of the quality.

Aldi & Lidl were vastly cheaper when they first arrived and they were empty, it was only when they started raising their prices that people went to them.

A friend of mine has 2 teenage and one adult daughters who refuse to eat anything from aldi/lidl and insist on branded stuff, if they weren't so lazy and got up on a saturday morning they'd realise that she hasn't shopped anywhere but aldi for the last year and transfers it all into the tesco boxes before they get up. The kelloggs boxes are getting seriously tatty by now and they still can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hosting a wedding is expensive and most people see the present as a way of making a contribution. It is a hige burden on a couple to have to pay the lot themselves.

Hosting a wedding doesn't have to be expensive at all. That's their choice if they want to go all out, if they can afford it then that's grand.. if not, and they're indebting themselves hoping that guests will help pay it back - well then they are just f*cking morons.

Irish people are more generous.

Terrified to look cheap. Better to give €250 for the wedding and let the kids starve for the week than be whispered about as tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If people here were so generous, you wouldn't be hearing expressions like "he's still got his communion money".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

800 years and all that jazz.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

My (Irish) mother in law has a theory that it's because Irish people were/saw themselves as poor for so long that they now over-compensate at every opportunity.

There is a major horror of poverty or being seen to be poor among older people particularly. I bought a stripey ticking grandad shirt a few years back and one of my mothers freinds was horrified at me wearing a "poor ignorant spailpins shirt":o

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If people here were so generous, you wouldn't be hearing expressions like "he's still got his communion money".

You hear that because culturally we are so spendthrift that if someone is careful with money they stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Actuall, it's because of those types of expressions that Irish people are so flahulach. Nobody wants to be seen as mean.

smish wrote: »

A virgin, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Irish people tend to try keep up "with the Jones", what the Welsh think I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Cedrus wrote: »
    A friend of mine has 2 teenage and one adult daughters who refuse to eat anything from aldi/lidl and insist on branded stuff, if they weren't so lazy and got up on a saturday morning they'd realise that she hasn't shopped anywhere but aldi for the last year and transfers it all into the tesco boxes before they get up. The kelloggs boxes are getting seriously tatty by now and they still can't tell the difference.

Seriously......could you be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Cedrus wrote: »
    Realistic. Irish people seem to feel that the higher the price paid the more value they're getting regardless of the quality.

Aldi & Lidl were vastly cheaper when they first arrived and they were empty, it was only when they started raising their prices that people went to them.

Channel 4 needs these people for a series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The wages and cost of living is general are lower in the UK though. For a basic grade job in the sector I'm qualified in the starting wage is 36k here compared to 21k in the UK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are UK weddings not generally much smaller, often confined to people the bride and groom have actually met?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

English wedding are a load of Shyte too, a bloody buffet usually. Here you get a good feed, a toast and wine at the table. A far better affair.
    If I was going to attend a wedding I would give 150e, if not 100e or a present of lesser value.

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    The wages and cost of living is general are lower in the UK though. For a basic grade job in the sector I'm qualified in the starting wage is 36k here compared to 21k in the UK.

And the job I'm in is €21k here and €45k in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Are UK weddings not generally much smaller, often confined to people the bride and groom have actually met?

receptions being held in the local pub, asda or basketball court helps keep costs down too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

They just spend their money on themselves rather then other people but honestly I haven't noticed much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

lizt wrote: »

The exchange rate was lower for years and the cost of living in the 26 counties was higher so that would be fair enough wage. My Da worked on a building site in Dublin years ago. Because of the travelling you only worked 7-8 hours per day and a half day on a Friday but the money was still way better than 10+ hours a day in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

receptions being held in the local pub, asda or basketball court helps keep costs down too.

reminds me of a wedding attended over there at a local soccer clubhouse, soup served in a styrofoam cup, mains served on paper plate with plastic knife and fork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I do think the English are more prudent with money. It's not that they're particularly tight, it's just that us Irish are ridiculous with spending money like it's water.

The ease at which people paid ridiculous amounts during the bubble era really showed that we can be taken for fools by retailers and publicans - and combine that with our collective low self-esteem where we worry about having to give ever more lavish gifts for weddings etc - so it all got out of hand.

Perhaps this recession will teach people some needed lessons in frugality or just general common sense.

You know the old saying: A fool and his money are easily parted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

THE BRITS ARE THE SAME AS US NO DIFFERENCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I gave a cousin of mine a €50 gift voucher for her confirmation she actually got ratty about it!

(I was a broke student at the time!)

So, I just no longer bother getting anyone any presents for that kind of thing anymore. Ungrateful, money grabbing (insert swear word)s !!

I will be sending her a Tesco Value Xmas card with no stamp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Following on from the "€250 wedding gift" thread I thought I'd ask your opinions.

In the UK it's normal for a family to give £30-50 as a wedding gift, depending on how close you are to the folks getting married.

Equally, for birthdays £10 or £20 is normal or maybe £50 for a 21st for your kids or close family or something, and communions/confirmations are £20 too, at most usually.

When I moved over here I couldn't believe it. The tiger was just ending(2007) and people were giving crazy amounts. My daughter got hundreds for her first communion and we felt guilty as fcuk! Why would an aunt or uncle who sees her once a year give €100 to an 8 year old???

Me and the family travelled to the UK for a friend's wedding recently and gave £50 as a gift, as did almost everyone we knew, some gave less.

So are we British more realistic or just stingy in your eyes?

weddings, meh... you should have seen what they were giving for houses and apartments a few years back. Irish people don't really get the concept of money or its value.

luckyfrank wrote: »

ssh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

ssh...
    french are different, germans are different, muslims are different, no difference closer to the brits than anyone else, time to let go of the baggage

ssh...
    french are different, germans are different, muslims are different, no difference closer to the brits than anyone else, time to let go of the baggage

That's fine but... NO NEED TO SHOUT ABOUT ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT... :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

That's all them pelvic floor excercises they do. English are also a lot blunter and less out to impress - when I worked in London in a butchers shop as a kid the English would come in and buy the cheap cuts, Paddy would walk in(I'm also a Paddy) and buy sirloin steak, even if they didn't have an ar5e in their trousers. I think we are a bit insecure with our money, we never had much and were historically poor whereas the Brits were strutting around eating swan back when we still lived in wicker baskets in the bog. Even when we're broke, we'd die if people thought we were poor so we act all splashy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oooh, matron!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Tight English bastards

• Advertisement
Advertisement