Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are British people stingy or more realistic?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

K-9 wrote: »
    It's a Celtic Tiger thing though, in the 80's a toaster was a perfectly acceptable gift, though couples probably ended up with 10 of them, and shock, horror, imagine the shame, they often didn't colour match the kettle 10 other people bought.

Thats because a good toaster cost a fair few bob.....it was always the thing to throw a few bob at people on occassions. You even leave a few squid in the will for drinks at your own funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nodin wrote: »
    Thats because a good toaster cost a fair few bob.....it was always the thing to throw a few bob at people on occassions. You even leave a few squid in the will for drinks at your own funeral.

Indeed, which is why you didn't want 10 of them.

No Ebay in them days!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Domo230 wrote: »
    Those kids need to be smacked on the head with a box of choco moons.

I blame the parents for indulging the little b*****s darlings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I have found my english relatives to be very stingy. They would always look for the cheapest presents, always bitched about how expensive everything was, and totally exploited our hospitality.
    I have scottish relatives that are to total opposite though.
    I think the main reason the english are perceived to be stingy is because we are very generous by comparison. Which way is best depends on your upbringing. They don't know any other way and they probably see us as stupidly generous or even wasteful.
    I am speaking of stereotypes to be fair, because I know not all english people are stingy nor irish people generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I have English friends and some of the things they do could not be seen in a frugal light:D
    I have been taken aback on several occasions by the things they did with relation to money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Having dated several english ladies over the years both here and in the uk, I can say they do tend to live well beyond their means as they all struggled with massive overdrafts....:D And don't expect one to buy you a decent present.....

To give you an example- I know an english girl who really struggles financially, yet she absolutely has to have a new car.....She rarely drives anywhere because she has no money for petrol......We may share a common language.....but that's all we share....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Having dated several english ladies over the years both here and in the uk, I can say they do tend to live well beyond their means as they all struggled with massive overdrafts....:D And don't expect one to buy you a decent present.....

Mate I think it's your choices that are the defining characteristic with your experience!

If your woman knows you well enough you'll get the gift you want and you cant put a price on that! My partner is the most loving giving generous woman i've ever met,a beautiful English rose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

The English are more stingy but they do have nuclear weapons which will protect us in our time of need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Mate I think it's your choices that are the defining characteristic with your experience!

If your woman knows you well enough you'll get the gift you want and you cant put a price on that! My partner is the most loving giving generous woman i've ever met,a beautiful English rose.

Yes indeed you are right sir, they are very fun loving....much more so than yer average irish woman....perhaps this is the very reason why I seem to prefer em.....Blooming lovely english roses.....rule....

but they still like to live well beyond their means...... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If people here were so generous, you wouldn't be hearing expressions like "he's still got his communion money".

Yea that gets thrown around inaccurately, usually when someone wants something off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

bamboozle wrote: »
    receptions being held in the local pub, asda or basketball court helps keep costs down too.

reminds me of a wedding attended over there at a local soccer clubhouse, soup served in a styrofoam cup, mains served on paper plate with plastic knife and fork.
    It's called living within your means instead of expecting other people to fund your fancy wedding.

Advertisement