Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

gollywog wrote: »
    Nope man not really sorry!! Black all day long....

Thinking of getting my wheels fefurbed in black, any thoughts??

Would look good on the Monza's especially with a red(Pink) car :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

What reason would any have had to leave?

In lake Garda at the mo, been pishing rain the last 2 days!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

In lake Garda at the mo, been pishing rain the last 2 days!:pac:

Gardai and rain, you must be home in Cork! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I think it depends on the person. They might be going through a rough patch or maybe they feel like their finish with boards, So its hard to say really. But I would never accuse anyone of seeking attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Would look good on the Monza's especially with a red(Pink) car :pac:

Ya I would like it I think....
    Might be something to get after xmas, halfway there in the milltek fund!!! :D
    Just looking at scorpion exhausts too, seem cheaper for a full system, are they any good~??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Matt Simis wrote: »
    You already alluded to it, but people tend to make out its impossible to sell big performance cars here, its not if you price aggressively. Obviously thats an easy thing to say if you bought it (well) used to begin with but not if you bought it near new. Depreciation is possibly the highest in the world on performance cars here in Ireland, making it great for petrol heads. If only there were more than the handful of us (all you have to say is motor tax to find out who is who).

I sold the S8 in about 2wks IRC and I just sold a 540i in about 3hrs, both on Donedeal. I dont bother with Carzone and the like (lol @ CBG for this type of sale). I also let people on Irish forums know, though that never actually resulted in a sale.

PS: I suspect Ill be selling my remaining V8, a 560SEC in about a month. ;)

The only main problem I have with owning a big luxury car is the tax, it's unproportional daylight robbery. I don't mind tyres costing a fortune, or servicing taking a whole day and costing as much as half a years tax, or the fact the electrics sometimes go nuts, and even my insurance has come down considerably with 5 years ncb so I can live with that now. I just wish owning a car wasn't punishable by financial ruin! Unfortunately it's the backwards thinking of this country and I don't see it changing soon.

By the way matt, don't suppose you've had any experience changing the motor on the mmi screen of a d3. It's a known problem, the plastic gears on the motor lose a tooth and the screen won't rise up properly, I got the mmi screen out ok, but couldn't get the motor out of the assembly. Audi want €800 for a new one, I bought metal gears for €80, but couldn't get the motor out to swap them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yup. He did a great job. Fair play to him!

Where did ya get it done?
    The ST could do with a detail for it's impending 5th birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

If you do loads of prep on your alloys you will get a very good finish. Granted it may not be as tough or as long lasting as powder coating but its a hell of a lot cheaper. 80-100 quid will easily do a set diy. Expect to pay that a rim to get them powder coated. I got a good finish on the rims of the leon with cheap rattle cans.

1)Key the surface well or bring back to the metal if your really fussy.
    2)Fill in any kerb marks etc with either body fillers or metal putty. Sand smooth.
    3)Prime the wheel. I used 2 coats of hi build/filler primer. Let dry and sand smooth.
    4)You may need to use a normal primer now depending on the paint you are going to use. My hi build primer was black and the wheels were being sprayed black so I was grand.
    5)Spray about 3 light coats of colour. Leave to dry then wet sand to a smooth finish.
    6)Apply 3 more light coats of colour and when the last one goes tacky spray on 3-5 coats of lacquer.

Leave to dry for a few days to allow the paint to harden. You can wet sand the lacquer with p2000-2500 and compound and polish them but I personally would bother.

Cleaning between each stage is very important as is having a clean dust free place to spray them. The better you prep them the better the finish will be.

Edit: This is for a gloss finish. A satin or matt finish will not require lacquer.

Note: Im not a professinal at this. My way might not be 100% right but its the way I done my own and they turned out fine!

Excellent DIY there Sean!

BW - if you follow that and do each stage properly, you won't go far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Have a question looking for driver side complete mirror and wing for a 2006 Octavia VRs 2ltr 200bhp blue colour also may need drivers door too.

Excellent DIY there Sean!

BW - if you follow that and do each stage properly, you won't go far wrong.

The worst you can do is make a pure balls of it and take them to get powder coated anyway:D you wont loose much money and if they turn out good you will have saved a good bit of cash. Also a good wheel sealent will help keep brake dust off them and keep them from fading!

Thanks very much for that sean. That will be a great help. :)

Thanks very much for that sean. That will be a great help. :)
    No bother. If you need any more info or help send me a pm.

I think the white looks good on the yellow

sean1141 wrote: »
    No bother. If you need any more info or help send me a pm.

I think the white looks good on the yellow

Ahhh, Im still reading your posts in mr. burns voice. :o

Cheers, Oh one quick Q. Why is it that you dont need to laqure it if its matt black?

Yes a fan of the white. :)

Ahhh, Im still reading your posts in mr. burns voice. :o

Cheers, Oh one quick Q. Why is it that you dont need to laqure it if its matt black?

Yes a fan of the white. :)

Because matte means no shine ;)

matt is a dull finish. lacquer gives it a shine. if you put lacquer over matt black it wont come out dull!

Because matte means no shine ;)

Oh right, the penny drops. :D Cheers. The paint wont flake off though will it?

Oh right, the penny drops. :D Cheers. The paint wont flake off though will it?

no but you should put on extra light coats of colour instead of lacquer

no but you should put on extra light coats of colour instead of lacquer

Ah right, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I dont know if i was caught speeding tonight.

4 way junction and me going through a bit too fast and a garda car sitting on the street at right angle.

i get out of view, slam on and go about 45 kph and garda car comes around the corner with blue lights on.

it sits behind me for less than 45 seconds so i put indicator on after a small few seconds to pull over.

it took off with blue lights on past me and on down the road.

wonder can they do me non-intercept like that ? i.e they just took the reg number and on they went ?

im probably just being paranoid but will i hear anything from that ?

...... No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    By the way matt, don't suppose you've had any experience changing the motor on the mmi screen of a d3. It's a known problem, the plastic gears on the motor lose a tooth and the screen won't rise up properly, I got the mmi screen out ok, but couldn't get the motor out of the assembly. Audi want €800 for a new one, I bought metal gears for €80, but couldn't get the motor out to swap them.
    No first hand experience, probably best asking on an Audi forum (quattroworld or audiworld etc).
    matt is a dull finish. lacquer gives it a shine. if you put lacquer over matt black it wont come out dull!
    It would come out satin, which is a nicer finish anyhow IMO. Also you have to put something as a protectant over the paint (matte or otherwise). You can buy matte lacquer's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well ill ****ing say it... i miss skyline/skylines .... :(

just droped in to donedeal to see whats the story out there. I guess its the same thing like with Alfa romeo people, they just love them, no matter all downsides and dissatvantages that come with a package. *sigh*

*snaps back to reality*

just droped in to donedeal to see whats the story out there. I guess its the same thing like with Alfa romeo people, they just love them, no matter all downsides and dissatvantages that come with a package. *sigh*

*snaps back to reality*

Was it a 2.5l petrol in your old skyline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Gotta pay that extra 199 tax for the GT-R tbh

2.5 gtst 399hp. stupidly mad thing, but **** i so miss it now. dunno wtf is wrong with me today. i could almost cry. To make it even worse, the fecker who bough it broke it down for parts, so it will never be on the streets again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

*snaps back to reality*

With a big turbo!

IMG_0051.jpg

• Advertisement

^ No spoiler on that either :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2.5 gtst 399hp. stupidly mad thing, but **** i so miss it now. dunno wtf is wrong with me today. i could almost cry. To make it even worse, the fecker who bough it broke it down for parts, so it will never be on the streets again.

Be strong man, but could you modifie the engine of the impreza to get the same BHP?

^ No spoiler on that either :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Just back from the cars and coffee. Some serious metal there and an excellent turnout! :D
    Didn't get talking to any boardsies though :(

Saw you car Tallon but you weren't with it when I was there.

Be strong man, but could you modifie the engine of the impreza to get the same BHP?

Its not about BHP to be honest. its about car and how it feels. I still love scooby, but its not a skyline.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Just back from the cars and coffee. Some serious metal there and an excellent turnout! :D
    Didn't get talking to any boardsies though :(

Saw you car Tallon but you weren't with it when I was there.

Any photographic evidence? :p

• Advertisement

Its not about BHP to be honest. its about car and how it feels. I still love scooby, but its not a skyline.

Ah, I see what your mean.

Any photographic evidence? :p

Afraid not I got too excited and only had my phone. :o

took a few but I think they might be pretty bad, sure I'll have a look at them now.

EDIT: Looked at the pics there, they were all taken facing the sun so they look ****ty.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    It would come out satin, which is a nicer finish anyhow IMO. Also you have to put something as a protectant over the paint (matte or otherwise). You can buy matte lacquer's.

I would rather gloss than matt or satin finish personally. I have never seen matt lacquer in rattle cans

I would rather gloss than matt or satin finish personally. I have never seen matt lacquer in rattle cans

I have, it's called compressed air :pac:

The road outside my house was resurfaced with lovely new tarmac less than a year ago. They did a brilliant job with the surface and markings etc. Recently our town council decided to do "overdue work" on the bridges around here, one of which is only up the road from me.

They have torn up 5 or 6 meters of the road they resurfaced on both sides in order to do this work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sleahead drive,sun out,roof down.Epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sleahead drive,sun out,roof down.Epic

Damn you. That's all.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Off on hols in the morning, have to be up at 4.30am.

See y'all in a couple of weeks dudes! smile.gif

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Off on hols in the morning, have to be up at 4.30am.

See y'all in a couple of weeks dudes! smile.gif

EDIT: Have a good time man..

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Off on hols in the morning, have to be up at 4.30am.............

Hope yourself and your good lady have a great holiday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Marlow wrote: »
    Damn you. That's all.

/M

:)

206046_10151081282679121_1848249936_n.jpg

323_10151081364144121_1781538324_n.jpg

^^^^
    'tis well for some isn't it :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

just quick question here, wont make separate thread for that.

When in gear, slowly releasing clutch... like you stay on cross lights, you know , it goin turn green in any second, car starts vibrates at "biting" point, before move, ...... clutch not slippy so far. would it be clucth on the way out ? i think it is.... just not sure. :/

btw... '98 avensis liftback , 1.8.petrol.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Are you pressing the accelerator at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

As in clutch judder? My astra has it bad when cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Tallon wrote: »
    Are you pressing the accelerator at the same time?

not really, just about it no die.

@Ardennes1944: yes it judder , id say thats right word for that. but it does always on first gear, when just start drive.

Other reason why i am thinking, its on the way out, it is sometimes pretty hard put in gears..... not extremely though, but sometimes need to search for it.... revers gear always give some "crunch".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement