Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

They fvcken worked for me ya ape!

And some people claim that music and tv etc.. doesn't affect peoples moods...

Time to stop listening to that angry stuff in work methinks. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dar83 wrote: »
    And some people claim that music and tv etc.. doesn't affect peoples moods...

Time to stop listening to that angry stuff in work methinks. :P

It's listening to the likes of you that makes people angry :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

FYI, €150 each included fitting / balancing, and was from a tyre place so there was no waiting for delivery etc...

Would be closer to €250 though if you need 255s for the rear :(

My NCT is out today, have it booked in for Saturday week, dropping it out to the mechanic this evening to sort Power Steering / front suspension tramlining, id say it needs a few dozen bushings etc...

Cant wait to see what they make of my exhaust. heres the relevant page from the NCT manual

Silencer - missing or malfunctioning

oops :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I know what my next set of tyres are going to be :D

SH - to be honest, good and all as Kumhos are, if I had known about these Goodyears at the time, I would have gone with them instead.

Had them on pinky a couple of weeks tomorrow now MM,
    They grip like nothin' ive had before, makes no difference if its wet or dry like...
    Nice to have that confidence in them :)
    Although the vred's i had before come very very close

Some of us ARE handsome enough to be there also, but we're modest enough to just hang out here... :cool:

:p

Include me in that too dar! :pac:

gollywog wrote: »
    Include me in that too dar! :pac:

You're too much a noob to be included in that.

Also, you're ugly as fvck :pac:

Although it does take a certain level of confidence and self assuredness to drive a pink car. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Pink car? I think this would be cool. :D

Pink-Cars-for-Valentine-Day-3.jpg

Although it does take a certain level of confidence and self assuredness to drive a pink car. :P

Not to mention a certain level of "the ghey" and oestrogen in your system :pac:

Ha most definitely a noob, but ugly as ****?! Lets not kid ourselves ha !! :cool:

Yes, You have it right man!!
    Not to mention a certain level of "the ghey" and oestrogen in your system :pac:

Just because i have a couple of pink t-shirts... chicks love em!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yes, and you'll be beeped!

Go to a cashier, if the tag works the cashier won't charge you and you'll know for future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

awec wrote: »
    Just got one of the eflow tags for the car.

Going up the M1 tomorrow I'd obviously like to use it. But if it isn't yet activated what happens? I know I go into a separate lane, but if my tag is activated yet do I get stuck in that lane and have to call for assistance etc or what's the craic? :o

How'd the NCT go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Going up the M1 tomorrow I'd obviously like to use it. But if it isn't yet activated what happens? I know I go into a separate lane, but if my tag is activated yet do I get stuck in that lane and have to call for assistance etc or what's the craic? :o

it takes up to 4 days to get national tall updated with tag information, on m50 you may use straight away. ... at least guy said that, when i got tag month ago.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah, I wasn't sure if the tag was read before that exit lane. If that's the case that's grand.

It's tomorrow! :) Kinda nervous :D

dont drive too fast for your nct man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mar4ix wrote: »
    it takes up to 4 days to get national tall updated with tag information, on m50 you may use straight away. ... at least guy said that, when i got tag month ago.

Yeh if its an eflow one the M50 works straight away but others wont work until 4 days after the issue date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can just exit via the exit lane and go to a cashier.
    Mar4ix wrote: »

That's f'ed up. Takes 1 hour with easytrip.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

conzymaher wrote: »
    My NCT is out today, have it booked in for Saturday week, dropping it out to the mechanic this evening to sort Power Steering / front suspension tramlining, id say it needs a few dozen bushings etc...

Cant wait to see what they make of my exhaust. heres the relevant page from the NCT manual

Silencer - missing or malfunctioning

oops :pac:

Time to see what damage was really done... a few dozen bushings, lol :D

Hand them a pack of ear plugs with a label "silencer" stuck on it :pac:

• Advertisement

Something I always wondered. I hope someone can give me a bit of info.

I was told if you buy a van yu need a VAT number. How or where would you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I was told if you buy a van yu need a VAT number. How or where would you get it?

If you want commercial insurance that would sound right but otherwise you could tax it privately.
    Now, something tells me that to tax it commercially you'll need one of three things, 1) A business 2) A letter from your employer declaring that the van is only for work use or 3) To be a trades man.

Could be wrong, just guessing.

Some motor tax offices are more lenient than others, what you were told is however correct to a degree. You "have" to fill in a form to tax a van as a goods vehicle and get that signed by a Garda who witnesses your declaration. On that form there's a requirement to detail your income tax registration number.

Sole traders who have below the VAT thresholds don't have a VAT number, presumably they detail their PSN as reg number, the form doesn't specify it has to be a VAT number.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Pink car? I think this would be cool. :D

seen a pink mini cooper the other day on the malahide road, stood out like a sore thumb, thank god a girl was driving it, a hot girl may i add;)

mates car was in the machanics for a day so he had the lil sisters corolla, which had pink dice, pink steering wheel cover, pink and black car seat covers, it was shocking, if that was me id of taken it all out and probable burned it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Rich11 wrote: »
    seen a pink mini cooper the other day on the malahide road, stood out like a sore thumb, thank god a girl was driving it, a hot girl may i add;)

did that have WX reg plates ?

if so i think thats the one i see all the time going through drumcondra at the exact same time every weekday.

shes a ride !

woman driving it is good too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

did that have WX reg plates ?

if so i think thats the one i see all the time going through drumcondra at the exact same time every weekday.

shes a ride !

woman driving it is good too :pac:

was looking no-where near her reg plates;):pac:

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I love dewy mornings. Great fun tapping the breaks and watching the beads of water racing down the bonnet :D

Yeah it's great apart from putting your window down and forgetting that your fist two turns are left...

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Private tax and theres none of that needed for taxing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭eFlow: John

Hi guys,

Just some info on tags which may be of some help.

Once a customer has registered with eFlow (Video or Tag Registration), they can belt away on the M50 straight away. We will spot the car reg and the system will then add the toll to the customers account. So, instant cover for the M50 toll with eFlow accounts.

If a customer opts for a tag, we put in an order for the tag to be sent. Once the tag is sent, it will automatically activate 4 days from sending (so it won't pick up toll charges in the post van : )

If a customer receives a tag before the tag is auto-activated, they can call or go on-line to activate the tag. We will then send a message to all other toll operators that this tag is now activated. It can take the other toll points a day or two to update their systems to allow your tag thru.

eFlow tags are assigned to a particular vehicle, so they cannot be swapped without letting us know. So if your vehicle is off the road or is being sold, call us and we will reassign the tag to your replacement/new vehicle.

Regards,

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

As in clutch judder? My astra has it bad when cold
    Have a Google of it on avensis. It's a well know problem with Astra h

How you deal with your judder? Noticeble on mine when starting off, more so if theres any kind of incline. Fine once I've been driving for a few miles or 5-10 minutes.

Dealer is aware of it, and problem was noted since getting car, was told maybe just need to give it a little more gas and bring up the clutch a little easier when setting off as they could not find issue during all their checks and service before handing over keys.

Had to bring car back as had one or two other little things to get looked at and sorted as part of the sale agreement, mentioned the clutch judder again, they acknowledged it but putting it down to wear and tear due to age of car (06 plate), and if gets worse to let them now again. Have now seen all the disussion on various forums, and its a known problem, I may just present this information to them to see what they say.

I can live with it, I really like the car, but slightly annoying when heading out first thing in morning. In addition to the giving it a little more gas and bringing up the clutch a little easier, have also read other people pumping the clutch for a few minutes before heading off.

Any suggestions?

Woman, you are lovely creatures and I love you very much, but when you behind the wheel you manage to piss me off beyond believe!
    I am on main road ( which I drive every single day ont the way to work and back ) and I always try to give peoPle a chance to pull out from juction.
    This time there were 2 ladies in red Mazda 3. So I stopped and showed the a way to go. No movement from there. Then I flashed my lights and still no movement. After good few seconds she started to drive, you see she was too busy speaking with her friend and pulling out of the busy junction was a secondary objective...

Ffs why am I trying to be nice!

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    If you want commercial insurance that would sound right but otherwise you could tax it privately.
    Now, something tells me that to tax it commercially you'll need one of three things, 1) A business 2) A letter from your employer declaring that the van is only for work use or 3) To be a trades man.

Could be wrong, just guessing.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Some motor tax offices are more lenient than others, what you were told is however correct to a degree. You "have" to fill in a form to tax a van as a goods vehicle and get that signed by a Garda who witnesses your declaration. On that form there's a requirement to detail your income tax registration number.

Sole traders who have below the VAT thresholds don't have a VAT number, presumably they detail their PSN as reg number, the form doesn't specify it has to be a VAT number.
    dgt wrote: »
    Private tax and theres none of that needed for taxing it :)

Righty, thanks chaps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I think we need to start a fund to get Shadow a Dash Cam :D

Tallon wrote: »
    I think we need to start a fund to get Shadow a Dash Cam :D

A jaysus I need to get finger out and get one. The amount of clowns on "cork Lad" area is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Woman, you are lovely creatures and I love you very much, but when you behind the wheel you manage to piss me off beyond believe!
    I am on main road ( which I drive every single day ont the way to work and back ) and I always try to give peoPle a chance to pull out from juction.
    This time there were 2 ladies in red Mazda 3. So I stopped and showed the a way to go. No movement from there. Then I flashed my lights and still no movement. After good few seconds she started to drive, you see she was too busy speaking with her friend and pulling out of the busy junction was a secondary objective...

Ffs why am I trying to be nice!

At least your woman stopped. I'd a learner this morning not stop at all, just pull straight out in front of me. I have a dash cam but don't use it as too lazy to set it up but must do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

irish-stew wrote: »
    How you deal with your judder? Noticeble on mine when starting off, more so if theres any kind of incline. Fine once I've been driving for a few miles or 5-10 minutes.

Dealer is aware of it, and problem was noted since getting car, was told maybe just need to give it a little more gas and bring up the clutch a little easier when setting off as they could not find issue during all their checks and service before handing over keys.

Had to bring car back as had one or two other little things to get looked at and sorted as part of the sale agreement, mentioned the clutch judder again, they acknowledged it but putting it down to wear and tear due to age of car (06 plate), and if gets worse to let them now again. Have now seen all the disussion on various forums, and its a known problem, I may just present this information to them to see what they say.

I can live with it, I really like the car, but slightly annoying when heading out first thing in morning. In addition to the giving it a little more gas and bringing up the clutch a little easier, have also read other people pumping the clutch for a few minutes before heading off.

Any suggestions?

I haven't found any way of dealing with it really. Don't think there is a way. It's a well known issue in the uk and some dealers have replaced the clutches with an upgraded one but I haven't heard anyone in Ireland with that luck of course :rolleyes:

It's a small problem so unless we fork out for the new clutch system we gotta live with it.

At least hopefully you don't have one of the main ecotec problems where there is a total flat spot around the 1,500-2,000rpm when accelerating! Very annoying, like a big jerk almost half the time you accelerate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Finally back in Ireland tonight after nearly a month :D
    Gonna spend some quality time avec la alfa.

Heading to munich on monday for 2 weeks, with a 4 day trip to paris in the middle:(

If there is a good stretch of autobahn near munich some poor rental car is gonna get a roasting:cool:

@metzgermeister, any simple phrases I could learn before I go?

Now that I can speak allright French, they send me to germany, typical!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What are you? A secret agent?:pac:

What are you? A secret agent?:pac:

I wish mate!
    I'm an engineer, I fix stuff;)

Or in this case im putting a machine back together that has been lying idle for a couple of years.

Btw on this one there are 2 massive pfieffer turbos running at 600Hz:cool:

Edit: its one like this in case anyone cares
    http://www.macquarie.com/uk/electronics/remarketing/equipment_avail/S7429.pdf

pred racer wrote: »
    metzgermeister, any simple phrases I could learn before I go?

Guten tag - Good day
    Hallo - hello
    Wie geht es dir - how are you
    Wie gehts - how's it
    Wie viel ist dass - how much is that
    Was kostet dass - what does that cost
    Yo, was happen? - Yo, what's happening? :pac:
    Ich heisse Ed - My name is Ed
    Ich bin hier zum arbeiten - I am here for work
    Ich bin eine schwuler - I am an engineer
    Ich liebe Alfa Romeo - I love alfa romeo
    Es tut mir leid - I am sorry
    Entschuldigung - excuse me
    Was ist die beste weg zu/zur/zum - what is the best way to
    Links - left
    Rechts - right
    Geradeaus - straight on
    Erste - first
    Zweiten - second
    Dritten - third
    Vierten - fourth
    etc.

If you need any translations or anything when you're there, just PM me ;)
    There's a few others here who would have better German than me though - Marlow is one of them!

Cheers mate!

Although I presume loving Alfas and not particularly liking vw, bmw, audi and merc is probably a hanging offence in Munich.

• Advertisement

How would this go down, do you reckon ??

Ich denke, die meisten Deutsch Autos sind überteuert, seelenlosen Eurokisten

(straight from google translate which as my french mates say, translates to 'almost' french:p)

OSI wrote: »
    Don't forget a common greeting over there is "Deustchland uber alles!!". It's their "Well, any craic?"

And their national flag is a manx type thing with an extra leg, right??

Pred - there's something in those lines I gave you that'll get you into a fierce amount of bother ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Motoring related I hope

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Pred - there's something in those lines I gave you that'll get you into a fierce amount of bother ;)

Sure he's well used to the alfa getting him into bother :pac:

Thanks a bunch! Now im gonna have to translate the whole lot:p

@challengemaster, buzzing bmws is never any bother, sure none of them pricks can drive:D

When are we having a Daysel meet, no vags or pink muffins allowed;)

Edit: or skanger hondas, or anything silver (might as well get everyone in while im at it) :)

pred racer wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch! Now im gonna have to translate the whole lot:p

@challengemaster, buzzing bmws is never any bother, sure none of them pricks can drive:D

When are we having a Daysel meet, no vags or pink muffins allowed;)

Edit: or skanger hondas, or anything silver (might as well get everyone in while im at it) :)
    Woohoo somewhere my car fits in! :D

Woohoo somewhere my car fits in! :D

At a daysel meet??

Just for you.

No gay blue 4 doors with big wheels either:D

Forgot about the diesel part!

Good thing my car ain't blue :P

• Advertisement

I had an interview yesturday for a plcae on a course, I got a phone call there telling me I got a place on the course. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement