Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

So my water pump has begun to fail on my 318is. Driving home from work yesterday i noticed a squealing noise which worried me, by the time i got home a horrible grumbling noise had developed. But temps were fine.

Getting it replaced today. Thank god i noticed something was up before it completely went. Last thing i need is to be paying for another HG failure.

I'm at 91,000 miles so around the normal water pump life expectancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

All the cars that were listed are not performance cars so I don't see a comparison to an S4. They have performance versions yes, but the cars mentioned are all designed and sold as mid size 4 door saloons. They don't compete with the A4 in Europe but in the US and Asia some of them do.

This is the list that was posted.
    Honda Accord Euro R, Mazda 6 MPS, Toyota Chaser, Nissan Skyline.
    They are performance versions of the cars that they are. I'll start with the first. He stated a EuroR Accord, not an ordinary 2.0 iVTec, but a K20 EuroR. How does this compare to a 1.9 TDi A4?
    Secondly he named a Mazda 6 MPS. Again its the performance Mazda. Its a 2.3 Turbocharged petrol, again hardly comparable to a 1.9TDI or even a 2.0 FSi for that matter.
    Then he named a Toyota Chaser which I'm not overly familiar with but again its classed as a performance car, and hardly comparable to a 1.9TDi.
    Then we have the Skyline. Since you're the Nissan Doctor I'll let you figure out for yourself why that one isn't in the same market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Quazzie wrote: »
    This is the list that was posted.

They are performance versions of the cars that they are. I'll start with the first. He stated a EuroR Accord, not an ordinary 2.0 iVTec, but a K20 EuroR. How does this compare to a 1.9 TDi A4?
    Secondly he named a Mazda 6 MPS. Again its the performance Mazda. Its a 2.3 Turbocharged petrol, again hardly comparable to a 1.9TDI or even a 2.0 FSi for that matter.
    Then he named a Toyota Chaser which I'm not overly familiar with but again its classed as a performance car, and hardly comparable to a 1.9TDi.
    Then we have the Skyline. Since you're the Nissan Doctor I'll let you figure out for yourself why that one isn't in the same market.

Its hardly worth an argument, but why are we comparing the Euro R or the MPS to 1.9tdi A4's? There is an accord CDTI and a 6 2.2 diesel for that.

Accord Euro R is easily comparable to the 1.8T or 2.0T or even 2.4 V6 A4's, the MPS comparable to any of the above engines with Quattro. Powers vary from model to model, but this is the same with any comparison.

The Toyota chaser and Nissan skyline are not performance cars, they are mundane 4 door saloons in the markets they are sold, so while neither have traditionally been sold with diesel engines, they are easily comparable to petrol A4's.

You are mistaking the performance versions of chasers and Skylines as being the norm, and while that may be the case for the ones that were imported here(obviously people are more interested in importing the performance versions) it isn't the case for the cars as a whole. The vast majority of chasers and skylines are non turbo 2.0 - 2.5L automatics.
    Sure there is even a Nissan Skyline MPV these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

ND - I see your point regarding the Chaser/Skyline thing but I also see Quazzie's point.

I too thought that the Chaser and Skyline were performance cars full stop. I didn't know that they were like the 3 series vs M3, more like they were M3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

barura wrote: »
    So I moved out, got the internet at long last and got another car.

Its another Polo, but this one should be the last. :o

What'd I miss anyways?

There you are! Was wondering where you had gone.

Welcome back, the bangernomics thread has missed you badly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its hardly worth an argument, but why are we comparing the Euro R or the MPS to 1.9tdi A4's? There is an accord CDTI and a 6 2.2 diesel for that.
    No argument here, I was just pointing out that compared to cars specified in his list they were a different market Had he simply said Accord and Mazda 6 I would've never mentioned it, but he specifically named performance versions in the EuroR and MPS when comparing it to a 1.9Tdi Audi A4.
    Accord Euro R is easily comparable to the 1.8T or 2.0T or even 2.4 V6 A4's, the MPS comparable to any of the above engines with Quattro. Powers vary from model to model, but this is the same with any comparison.

The Toyota chaser and Nissan skyline are not performance cars, they are mundane 4 door saloons in the markets they are sold, so while neither have traditionally been sold with diesel engines, they are easily comparable to petrol A4's.

You are mistaking the performance versions of chasers and Skylines as being the norm, and while that may be the case for the ones that were imported here(obviously people are more interested in importing the performance versions) it isn't the case for the cars as a whole. The vast majority of chasers and skylines are non turbo 2.0 - 2.5L automatics.
    Sure there is even a Nissan Skyline MPV these days.

I admittedly don't know too much about Chasers or Skylines for that matter, but in terms of Insurance premiums, Tax and maintenance they are in a different market to the TDi A4, which was my original point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Awwww, rough day today. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

So I moved out, got the internet at long last and got another car.

Its another Polo, but this one should be the last. :o

What'd I miss anyways?

SFA! New o/t thread, that's about it really!

Glad you're back :D
    dgt wrote: »
    Theres a garage not too far away from me that had a load of old Opels (O Neils) I'll put a link up on maps when I'm at a computer. Cars are now hidden round the back of the place.

As above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

pred racer wrote: »
    Anyone know here id get a wing for an opel manta A?
    All help appreciated!!

The lads over on Total Opel are sound and should be able to find you one. Those Manta A's were prone to rotting though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Guy selling an audi in Leitrim area. I would be driving from limerick, ask him could he drive 25mins to meet me in Longford. He says he wouldnt be "keen" on that....if someone wants it they'll travel to where he is and hes not pushed on selling. Take down the f*cking ad if you dont want to sell it. Am I expecting too much??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Guy selling an audi in Leitrim area. I would be driving from limerick, ask him could he drive 25mins to meet me in Longford. He says he wouldnt be "keen" on that....if someone wants it they'll travel to where he is and hes not pushed on selling. Take down the f*cking ad if you dont want to sell it. Am I expecting too much??

i wouldn't drive to Clare to meet someone from Mayo!

Actually, i did meet a fella once in Clare from Mayo and i told him i would buy the car if it was as described, which was mint for it's age.

Turned out to be an absolute and utter pile of crap and he got pissed off at me for not buying it, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Gary ITR wrote: »
    The lads over on Total Opel are sound and should be able to find you one. Those Manta A's were prone to rotting though

Ill try that thanks.
    Every bloody manta in the country needs new body parts, sorta surprised you cant buy pattern ones.

i wouldn't drive to Clare to meet someone from Mayo!

Actually, i did meet a fella once in Clare from Mayo and i told him i would buy the car if it was as described, which was mint for it's age.

Turned out to be an absolute and utter pile of crap and he got pissed off at me for not buying it, lol.

So do you mean you think he's right or wrong lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Anyone happen to have viewed this car or know the owner?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2999535

Looks too good to be true, been stalking it for a good 3 weeks now hoping it doesn't sell, can't figure out if it's an ED30 or not though looks like one and to make a standard GTI look that much like one surely would cost several arms and legs and afew collarbones.

What'd I miss anyways?

Welcome back, was wondering where you went, missed your bangernomics posts :)
    .........Take down the f*cking ad if you dont want to sell it. Am I expecting too much??

I think you are :)
    In saying that no shortage of cars or sellers out there ;)

So do you mean you think he's right or wrong lol

Well i personally wouldn't buy a car off someone unless i was outside their house or knew them prior to the sale.

There was a story last year where someone (Person A) rang Person B about a Bmw for sale. Asked them to meet half way, so they did. Person A drove the car and offered €16,000 (asking price was €18,000) whilst they were on the test drive. Person B hummed and hawed and asked "Have you got it on you?" to which Person A replied, yup, one me right now and will buy today.

Person B proceed to pull a gun and tell person A to F out of the car. Turns out it had fake plates.

Now, chances of that happening are slim, but you can't be careful enough.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Welcome back, was wondering where you went, missed your bangernomics posts :)

I think you are :)
    In saying that no shortage of cars or sellers out there ;)

Honestly now, if a potential buyer was willing to drive 3hrs with a view to an immediate deal you wouldn't drive 20mins to meet them? I must be too kind when selling cars haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Not sure if anybody on here would be interested in going to this but said I would post it up anyway:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=362658347116990&id=303015596414599

Well i personally wouldn't buy a car off someone unless i was outside their house or knew them prior to the sale.

There was a story last year where someone (Person A) rang Person B about a Bmw for sale. Asked them to meet half way, so they did. Person A drove the car and offered €16,000 (asking price was €18,000) whilst they were on the test drive. Person B hummed and hawed and asked "Have you got it on you?" to which Person A replied, yup, one me right now and will buy today.

Person B proceed to pull a gun and tell person A to F out of the car. Turns out it had fake plates.

Now, chances of that happening are slim, but you can't be careful enough.

Valid point. Admittedly I never thought of it from a safety aspect. I think this guy was just being awkward. Ad says vrt 600, 787 when I checked. He says no way it was 690 when I checked 4 weeks ago.......??? So why does your ad say 600 haha

• Advertisement

Honestly now, if a potential buyer was willing to drive 3hrs with a view to an immediate deal you wouldn't drive 20mins to meet them? I must be too kind when selling cars haha

I didn't say I wouldn't do it :)

I drove 30 mins once and got my ole lad to folllow me to bring me back home, also delivered a car 60 odd miles as the lad who bought it had no insurance sorted. I wouldn't expect any seller to do so though and as LM pointed out having folks meeting you in neutral locations when there are sums of money involved can be less than wise, you never know and all that.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I didn't say I wouldn't do it :)

I drove 30 mins once and got my ole lad to folllow me to bring me back home, also delivered a car 60 odd miles as the lad who bought it had no insurance sorted. I wouldn't expect any seller to do so though and as LM pointed out having folks meeting you in neutral locations when there are sums of money involved can be less than wise, you never know and all that.

True, I get that aspect now. Think I'm just sick of hitting dead ends!

Valid point. Admittedly I never thought of it from a safety aspect. I think this guy was just being awkward. Ad says vrt 600, 787 when I checked. He says no way it was 690 when I checked 4 weeks ago.......??? So why does your ad say 600 haha

is it a Dealer?

Again, i personally wouldn't buy a Uk registered car off an irish person, Afaik it's not legal. i spent hours trawling the net last time this topic came up to no avail of where i'd seen that.

Fiona wrote: »
    Not sure if anybody on here would be interested in going to this but said I would post it up anyway:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=362658347116990&id=303015596414599

Looks scum tastic! Dj who Ja ma call it in a "private car park".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

His latest hit is BOOOOOOOOOOOo

Fiona wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=362658347116990&id=303015596414599[/QUOTE]

Their not telling the location of it.

Its a secret, shut up. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

It probably is scum tastic but the fella organising it is dab handy with the camera and he was telling me about the venue which sounds interesting so I just want to get some nice pics and then I am off not interested in the dj or any of that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Quick question, last year I had an accident on a learner permit and was insured under my parents at the time. Now they made the claim and have NCB protection and can make 3 claims without affecting NCB and all that jazz. What I want to know is if in the future I am getting my own insurance do I still state that I made the claim or that my parents did (therefore not affecting me?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I would say the opposite if they're not announcing the venue in advance. Wouldn't be me either way.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I would say the opposite if they're not announcing the venue in advance. Wouldn't be me either way.

Used to go to these before. The whole "meeting in a car park" first idea was to evade any possible Garda attention.

Used to go to these before. The whole "meeting in a car park" first idea was to evade any possible Garda attention.

Never been and can't see it being my gig but thanks for the info! ;)

• Advertisement

is it a Dealer?

Again, i personally wouldn't buy a Uk registered car off an irish person, Afaik it's not legal. i spent hours trawling the net last time this topic came up to no avail of where i'd seen that.

No not a dealer, private sale on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Going through a mental Wheeler Dealer addiction atm. Sky box jammed with all the Discovery Shed repeats that happen during the night. Love the way Brewer leaps out of the car after the test drive when its still moving..funk me man, settle it down and engage the handbrake gently:D

No not a dealer, private sale on that one

Link?

Quick question, last year I had an accident on a learner permit and was insured under my parents at the time......)

Tell it just how you did there :)

Quick question, last year I had an accident on a learner permit and was insured under my parents at the time. Now they made the claim and have NCB protection and can make 3 claims without affecting NCB and all that jazz. What I want to know is if in the future I am getting my own insurance do I still state that I made the claim or that my parents did (therefore not affecting me?)

Well, you'd be the liability, not your parents, so i'd imagine it would rest with you.

Link?

My bad :p Money would be ok if was already Vrt'd. Too much as it is I reckon

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3345358

My bad :p Money would be ok if was already Vrt'd. Too much as it is I reckon

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3345358

Mileage is somewhat believable as it's a Northern irish one over a Uk one.

Still, 6 grand is a fair chunk of money.

Also, under what circumstances would the belt of been needed to be done at 85,000 miles 7 years in ownership?

Mileage is somewhat believable as it's a Northern irish one over a Uk one.

Still, 6 grand is a fair chunk of money.
    Also, under what circumstances would the belt of been needed to be done at 85,000 miles 7 years in ownership?

True and also look at this way. If he's as stubborn as he sounded then he won't shift on that price. Then I'd effectively be looking at a car with no tax or nct for 6800 after Vrt

True and also look at this way. If he's as stubborn as he sounded then he won't shift on that price. Then I'd effectively be looking at a car with no tax or nct for 6800 after Vrt

Yarah Fup that.

You'd buy a lot of car for 7 grand these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I put my new tyres through their paces in the p*ssings of rain tonight, very impressed indeed :)

Yarah Fup that.

You'd buy a lot of car for 7 grand these days!

I need other options to look at i think my search is über narrow at the moment. 6k does seem to be the going rate for 04 a4s unfortunately

How would you strentin a bumper, as in can you stick more plastic or other material on the inside of the front bumper. As in a crash it seems to break and crack very easily. I was thinking if you could find a way of maken the bumper stronger it would be more durable in the event of a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

How would you strentin a bumper, as in can you stick more plastic or other material on the inside of the front bumper. As in a crash it seems to break and crack very easily. I was thinking if you could find a way of maken the bumper stronger it would be more durable in the event of a crash.
    They're made that way for a reason, actually for multiple reasons. You don't know better than the billions invested into manufacturers decisions I'm afraid ;)

New 'bumpers' aren't bumpers at all, they're just bumper covers all in the name of stramlining a car. The real bumper is underneath.

I need other options to look at i think my search is über narrow at the moment. 6k does seem to be the going rate for 04 a4s unfortunately

Yeah. Any interest in X types? You'd buy a sweet 06 Sport for that kinda money.

Volvos, Bmw 320d?

Also, the harder the plastic the easier it'll smash into a million pieces!

Yeah. Any interest in X types? You'd buy a sweet 06 Sport for that kinda money.

Volvos, Bmw 320d?

What type of mpg would you expect to get (I hate that mpg is now such a major issue)

320d is something I may start considering. My 530d has been good to me. Presume the swirl flaps was an issue in those right to 04? Although the blanks are cheap anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's funny you mention that. I had someone ask me something similar recently, and it left me scratching my head. The situation was exactly the same, named driver crashed and a claim was made against said named driver.

When the policy owner applies for a new policy, do they have a claim? Or is it just the named driver that has a claim against them?

• Advertisement

They're made that way for a reason, actually for multiple reasons. You don't know better than the billions invested into manufacturers decisions I'm afraid ;)

Oh. :(
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    New 'bumpers' aren't bumpers at all, they're just bumper covers all in the name of stramlining a car. The real bumper is underneath.

Well, you learn something new every day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement