Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Where did ya get them?
    Need a pair for something.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Where did ya get them?
    Need a pair for something.....

Kanturk tyre centre. Give me a buzz if want to check them for ya, I have that power washer here for ya too..

Oh and by the way having totally different make of tyre with different ratings and compound and patterns does affect your vehicles ability on road handling...............

You can actually ring the 2nd hand tyre shop and ask them do they have a matching pair ;)

Cheers for the lesson though, very valuable and I really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Part worn tyres are fine but will be plugged and probably two different makes so wouldnt be too mad about that for grip and that.
    If you have the spare cash go out and buy a set of uni-royal rain sport2 there are amazing in the wet.

What a load of crap about part worns. I got commercial part worns, a crackin set of Semperit Trans Speed 2's at the front and Michelins at the rear. No sliding in the wet, no plugs. Who would be stupid enough to plug a commercial tyre anyway...

I get such a kick out of doing stuff on the extreme cheap and recently I decided to change all my tyres myself with... Part worns I got for free. And I see a huge improvement over the old tyres. Balanced them myself. Surprise surprise no sliding or plugs either! I must be bucking the trend here... :rolleyes:

As for Uniroyals, I had a set on my first car, rain sports I think. Top tyre in the wet :) lasted no time though, gone in about 20k miles
    Five cars keyed where I live Friday night, mine was one of them.
    Bloody scum. they scored the bonnet so deeply they left a curl of swarf for want of a better description blowing in the wind. That was what caught my eye.

I know there's a lot of keyboard warrior stuff on here but if I could find out who did it I would put him/her in hospital. Fuming! Nearly want to put out a bounty for info.

Blood boiling stuff :mad:

CCTV cameras about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Five cars keyed where I live Friday night, mine was one of them.
    Bloody scum. they scored the bonnet so deeply they left a curl of swarf for want of a better description blowing in the wind. That was what caught my eye.

I know there's a lot of keyboard warrior stuff on here but if I could find out who did it I would put him/her in hospital. Fuming! Nearly want to put out a bounty for info.

A dashcam with "parked mode" would have proved it's worth in this situation.
    Sorry for your trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

dgt wrote: »
    What a load of crap about part worns. I got commercial part worns, a crackin set of Semperit Trans Speed 2's at the front and Michelins at the rear. No sliding in the wet, no plugs. Who would be stupid enough to plug a commercial tyre anyway...

I get such a kick out of doing stuff on the extreme cheap and recently I decided to change all my tyres myself with... Part worns I got for free. And I see a huge improvement over the old tyres. Balanced them myself. Surprise surprise no sliding or plugs either! I must be bucking the trend here... :rolleyes:

As for Uniroyals, I had a set on my first car, rain sports I think. Top tyre in the wet :) lasted no time though, gone in about 20k miles

Blood boiling stuff :mad:

CCTV cameras about?

Nope, one camera that I could see but it turns out it was a Dummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

A dashcam with "parked mode" would have proved it's worth in this situation.
    Sorry for your trouble.

Perhaps, but I doubt they are that sensitive?
    Anyone know? Generally dashcams have rubbish low light performance I would have thought, based on what tech-moan has shown.

Can't have anything without lowlifes stealing or breaking it.

Perhaps, but I doubt they are that sensitive?
    Anyone know? Generally dashcams have rubbish low light performance I would have thought, based on what tech-moan has shown.

Can't have anything without lowlifes stealing or breaking it.

The iTronics dashcam I got last week has a parked mode- I came across somebody recently who had used a dashcam in parked mode to prosecute a scobie stealing the badge off the font of the car.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Metzgermeister is dying inside. Slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Can you buy clamps anywhere?
    What if you clamped your own car as a deterrent to clampers, think this would work?

CianRyan wrote: »
    What if you clamped your own car as a deterrent to clampers, think this would work?

Do you? Serious question :)

You have to do it in a certain way for it to work.

You need to park one side of the car very close to a kerb, or wall, basically making the rear wheel on that side inaccessible and unclampable.

Turn the steering wheel so the front wheels are at an angle, and thus can't be clamped.

That leaves one rear wheel. If you clamp that yourself, then they can't do anything.

But the fcuking hassle of clamping yourself and then taking it off again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Might as well clamp the clampers with your own clamp instead of them clamping you with their clamp.

Clamp Clamp Clamp :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do you? Serious question :)

Well my logic is that they're not going to look to hard at the clamp, they'd scan the area and pick out the easy targets, see them clamp think it's another companies and skip over it.
    I reckon it could work, not 100% by any means but I'm also guessing that the level of clamper intellect isn't the highest so it might trick a few of them.
    Just a thought really, wanted to see what others thought.

You have to do it in a certain way for it to work.

You need to park one side of the car very close to a kerb, or wall, basically making the rear wheel on that side inaccessible and unclampable.

Turn the steering wheel so the front wheels are at an angle, and thus can't be clamped.

That leaves one rear wheel. If you clamp that yourself, then they can't do anything.

But the fcuking hassle of clamping yourself and then taking it off again...

Now this is clever, it'd be a laugh to do it just to spite the pricks.
    Say, some one just "happened" upon a NCPS clamp and they knew the lads would be working in the area and they didn't feel like adhering exactly to their rules.
    I'd do it anyway. :D

Well my logic is that they're not going to look to hard at the clamp, they'd scan the area and pick out the easy targets, see them clamp think it's another companies and skip over it.

.... of course loads of different clamping companies patrol the same areas, not :)

I reckon it could work, not 100% by any means but I'm also guessing that the level of clamper intellect isn't the highest so it might trick a few of them.
    Just a thought really, wanted to see what others thought.

You're presumably using their occupation to make a measure of their intellect? And you do what for a living?

(no need to answer that, just using you as an example)

.... of course loads of different clamping companies patrol the same areas, not :)

Well I'm not in the clamping game so I wouldn't know.

You're presumably using their occupation to make a measure of their intellect? And you do what for a living?

(no need to answer that, just using you as an example)

It was a joke, James. I'm sorry if I've offended you or anyone you know.
    Last job I had was as a waiter, slinging pizzas so I'm hardly in a position to put anyone down for their job. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads. I need your math.

So I did 202miles with 31l of petrol. That was quite enthusiastic drive to Carlow and back with overtaking etc. plus trip to work. How much mpg will that be so?

• Advertisement

Lads. I need your math.

So I did 202miles with 31l of petrol. That was quite enthusiastic drive to Carlow and back with overtaking etc. plus trip to work. How much mpg will that be so?

31l = 6.82 gallons, therefore 202/6.82=29.62mpg

29/30 mpg

Really?! That's grand so! Cheers lads.

I know it's not much, but for awd heavy turbo bastard it's really not bad.

That's almost too good for what it is. All motorway driving though. Quick google says 25-30 is motorway MPG, 16-18 being normal driving :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

That's nearly bang on what I'm averaging in the gti lately, but I down short journeys and a good bit of town driving.

That's almost too good for what it is. All motorway driving though. Quick google says 25-30 is motorway MPG, 16-18 being normal driving :eek:

If you check goggle maps, then you see that trip from Mallow to Kilkenny ( some small town bagenstown or what's its called ) has barely any motorway drive. I went through clonmel.
    I filled in full tank before trip. Reset speedo and only filled in petrol now up until I could not give it any more. It was 31l.

It was very mixed driving and I did give it a boot good few times. Good bit of overtaking too. Lots of tractors on the road where I had to drive in convoy of 6-8 cars etc. so lots of speed change.
    It is really good mpg, but when I do short trips to work I can forget about it.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Ya see, you don't have a massive spoiler causing drag and hurting your mpg to worry about :p

I said it before. I am shaving weight of it!!! :)

If you check goggle maps, then you see that trip from Mallow to Kilkenny ( some small town bagenstown or what's its called ) has barely any motorway drive. I went through clonmel.
    I filled in full tank before trip. Reset speedo and only filled in petrol now up until I could not give it any more. It was 31l.

It was very mixed driving and I did give it a boot good few times. Good bit of overtaking too. Lots of tractors on the road where I had to drive in convoy of 6-8 cars etc. so lots of speed change.
    It is really good mpg, but when I do short trips to work I can forget about it.

Ah right :D I just threw in cork - carlow first, which is all M8.

In that case it's damn good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You're clearly doing it wrong :pac:

Gary ITR wrote: »
    You're clearly doing it wrong :pac:

well on the back trip i had to behave at least a wee bit ( though i still could not resist ), i had a very fragile passanger with me, which is sleeping in my hoody, while i am typing this. ;)

well on the back trip i had to behave at least a wee bit ( though i still could not resist ), i had a very fragile passanger with me, which is sleeping in my hoody, while i am typing this. ;)

SCOOBY%20DOO%20LOUNGE%20PANT%20Sleeping%202.jpg

See what I did there....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Just looking at lowing springs for a 1.1 saxo. But nobody is selling rear lowering springs for a saxo, just front LS.
    NOTE: THIS KIT INCLUDES FRONT SPRINGS ONLY AS THIS MODEL HAS TORSION BAR REAR SUSPENSION THAT DOES NOT INCORPORATE COIL SPRINGS

Now I dont understand this quote, anyone explane to me what in the name of god "TORSION BAR REAR SUSPENSION" is?

Now I dont understand this quote, anyone explane to me what in the name of god "TORSION BAR REAR SUSPENSION" is?

Torsion bars instead of springs.

Animation2darker.gif

Means that you can lower it yourself and only 2 springs are needed for the front :)

dgt wrote: »
    Torsion bars instead of springs.

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/stevecnet/saxo/Animation2darker.gif Means that you can lower it yourself and only 2 springs are needed for the front :)[/img]

I sat there dazed for 5 minutes by that moving gif. :pac:

Cheers that clears it up. :)

Anymore car like that? I take it the 106 is?

Yep the 106 is all right.

....... has barely any motorway drive...........

Might well be more fuel efficient spin than at a constant 120kph ish :)

Might well be more fuel efficient spin than at a constant 120kph ish :)

I presume constant 120km/h would be way more efficient then N road speed, which changes from 40km/h to 100km/h ( + let's say ), with me accelerating faster then economy mode etc.

Even so I did not manage to stay 120km/h on motorway :)

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yep the 106 is all right.

Ah cool, cheers.

You learn something new everyday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

First days work in munich over, I can now confirm that a 1.6 petrol nissan juke is barely able to move under its own power:(

Somuch for the autobahn fun i had planned!

In small consolation the beer festival that the locals go to, because "oktoberfest is for tourists" is on this week in freising.........and guess where my hotel is:p
    I get €70 per day to drink feed myself:D:pac::P

On the down side, parking and internet is extra in the hotel........
    On the plus side, im not paying for it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

pred racer wrote: »
    First days work in munich over, I can now confirm that a 1.6 petrol nissan juke is barely able to move under its own power:(

In small consolation the beer festival that the locals go to, because "oktoberfest is for tourists" is on this week in freising.........and guess where my hotel is:p
    I get €70 per day to drink feed myself:D:pac::P

On the down side, parking and internet is extra in the hotel........
    On the plus side, im not paying for it:)

This place is fcuking dangerous, ive been drinking solid since half 5, (its 10 here btw) just paid my bill for that and dinner, and it came to €33:eek:
    The joke i mean juke is safely parked. Tomorrow night its beer festival,(german style) time:D
    I may never be the same again!

pred racer wrote: »

Did ya find the sport button?

I had one of them as a rental and was stuck in economy mode for the first hour or so.
    Painfully slow :mad:

When I found the "Sport" mode it was a LOT better.

• Advertisement

Thus more neglect is still being discovered...! :mad:

And found a Bravo TD100 for sale.... Want it BADLY but stuck with the 406 :(

Ah well, I'll calm down after a snoozy... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

We've had no end of taxi drivers(and non taxi customer) who only ever want to put cheap tyres on their cars but today I say the ultimate 'fur coat and no knickers' example.

A taxi/chauffeur came in for 4 new tyres today...only wanted cheap ones, so got 4 nankangs fitted.....to his 09 Bentley Flying Spur.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

We've had no end of taxi drivers(and non taxi customer) who only ever want to put cheap tyres on their cars but today I say the ultimate 'fur coat and no knickers' example.

A taxi/chauffeur came in for 4 new tyres today...only wanted cheap ones, so got 4 nankangs fitted.....to his 09 Bentley Flying Spur.:rolleyes:

Jesus H Christ :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How big were the wheels on it? And how much were the Nankangs? I'm going to guess the wheels are massive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well today I was nearly in a big spill on a main national route, I was in the outside lane, traffic was heavyish and visibility was brutal when the car in frond of me suddenly did a 360, hit the barrier then back into the outside lane and spun back into the barrier finally stopping in the centre median. I was behind and managed to avoid it, when I went to their aid I noticed the tyres were well spent and below the legal limit. Why do Irish people insist on not checking tyres and when they do replace why is cost the ultimate factor? It is of course a factor that helps with the decision making but it shouldn't be the only jaysis factor

How big were the wheels on it? And how much were the Nankangs? I'm going to guess the wheels are massive...

19" wheels, I'm not certain exactly what size they were or how much he paid though.

Well today I was nearly in a big spill on a main national route, I was in the outside lane, traffic was heavyish and visibility was brutal when the car in frond of me suddenly did a 360, hit the barrier then back into the outside lane and spun back into the barrier finally stopping in the centre median. I was behind and managed to avoid it, when I went to their aid I noticed the tyres were well spent and below the legal limit. Why do Irish people insist on not checking tyres and when they do replace why is cost the ultimate factor? It is of course a factor that helps with the decision making but it shouldn't be the only jaysis factor

They might get a wake up call when their insurance assessor see's them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I got a thread depth and air pressure measuring gauge the other day when I was in halfords that time.

small and digital. just keep it in the car and check every so often.

not that hard to do

could also save a fine and penalty points or a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I know all of us who post here are car enthusiasts, so obviously were more likely to be wary about tyres,
    but your right, how can people be so carefree about driving around on tyres with almost zero thread left?
    Its scary to think about. I noticed my sisters car had NO, and I mean NO thread left on her tyres a little while ago, and she drives her kids about in that car.
    I Made her aware of it and she bought a good set of bridgestones.
    Was so worried about her and the kids before that

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Took the 325 for a spin today now with power steering and new droplinks! After a few days of driving a 307 1.6HDI i have re-fallen in love :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement