Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    As for the Monaro well becoming cheap in the UK :p (impossible to get them over here though and the VRT is lulz)

Look for a Holden Commodore SS instead. Same car, just in pickup form. Cheap tax, too. Commercial. A few around of them.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Marlow wrote: »
    Look for a Holden Commodore SS instead. Same car, just in pickup form. Cheap tax, too. Commercial. A few around of them.

/M

You all laughed at me when I was considering a Vauxhall VXR8 (same as Holden Commodore Clubsport R8) about a year ago......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I couldn't drive a Yute with a straight face sorry :(

Marcusm wrote: »
    You all laughed at me when I was considering a Vauxhall VXR8 (same as Holden Commodore Clubsport R8) about a year ago......

I don't know, who you are referring to. It certainly wasn't me.

There is a regular at trackdays who brings his Holden Ute out and it's immense good craic. It's essentially a Opel Omega Pickup with a 5.7l V8 shoe-horned under the bonnet.

He started out looking for a Monaro, then realised the Commodore was essentially the same, but cheaper to import and tax. Both of best worlds, if you only need 2 seats. He's had it a few years now.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

/M

Are you sure its not a holden ute? thats the pickup version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

saw an amazing merc (s class i think) driving through dublin earlier.

V12 on the side of it, looked massive, good good distance between the driver and the rear passengers.

had limo sticker in the windscreen similar to taxi.

beat of a car

07-G-something (only 4 digits long and had the numbers 1457 but in a different way)

think this is it - http://mywheels.ie/car-history-check/free-car-check-results/?VRN=07G1475

Not sure if they still have it, but there is an S500 with brabus bits normally parked on the gracepark road if you are delivering round that direction. 06-d something or other. "only" a V8, but it sounds amazing.

Looks more like a Skoda felicia pickup than an actual pickup :p

Looks more like a Skoda felicia pickup than an actual pickup :p

Ah don't talk to me about them, I fell out of the pick up part when I was a young whipper snapper. :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

What about picking up a Jag s-type or an XJ V8? wafty comfort, performance and cheap as chips.

Or go the whole hog and look for an XJR.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That BMW looks lovely, looks like next year, we will have enough money for the OH to get a nice car (I like mine just fine :) ) amazing what value you can get in cars if you are willing to put up with the tax

On the other hand, I've calculated the mpg for the gtv last weekend doing about 500 miles of mostly motorway driving, I appear to have averaged 34 mpg, am pleasantly surprised to be honest!

I've the bad habit of chucking in 20-30 at a time, so I'd to add it all up, divide by the per litre cost and then calculate it, am going to brim it this weekend and see how I go.

But I put in approx 60 litres for approx 475 miles when I was close to empty and that hits 34 mpg, given it was almost all motorway driving and I usually hit 28/29mpg in mixed I suppose it's not surprising

/waits for the naysayers :)

• Advertisement

Maserati would be even better if serviing wasn't insane

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What about picking up a Jag s-type or an XJ V8? wafty comfort, performance and cheap as chips.
    Referring to my last post the OH is in love with Jags

But I was in an XK (the saloon if I've gotten that right?) last weekend and thought it was very uncomfortable, now the driver was nuts, but I got out feeling I'd been in a bumper car.

It'd be an X or S type the OH would be in, not the XK

The Holden Commodore exists as saloon and pickup. The pickup is later on only referred to as Holden Ute, but the word "Ute" is actually Oz for pickup or short for utility. Yet, early Holden Utes were officially called "Holden Commodore Utility".

/M

The Holden Commodore exists as saloon and pickup. The pickup is later on only referred to as Holden Ute, but the word "Ute" is actually Oz for pickup or short for utility. Yet, early Holden Utes were officially called "Holden Commodore Utility".

/M

Oh I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up. :) I googled Commodore ss and no pick up apeared, they only appeared for the Holden Ute. So thats where I got confused. :) You know your stuff, fair play Marlow.

Oh I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up. :) I googled Commodore ss and no pick up apeared, they only appeared for the Holden Ute. So thats where I got confused. :)

I guess they changed it later on to make a more clear difference between the pickup and the saloon. Change is about '00.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Not sure if they still have it, but there is an S500 with brabus bits normally parked on the gracepark road if you are delivering round that direction. 06-d something or other. "only" a V8, but it sounds amazing.

i do actually know that one, and the house its always parked in.

looks very built, like the body builder of cars and it over took me once, sound is out of this world, really fascinating

have delivered to the house of the owner with it in the garden but have being too afraid to ask or talk to them about it cos their just soo cool. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A 728i is pointless tax wise, as everything from 3001cc and up is the same (1680 EUR/year) if it's pre '07.

/M

I'd call a €389 difference a fair whack.
    Maserati would be even better if serviing wasn't insane

If I hadn't just bought a house, this would be in my drive right now.

3796058-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Found out today that my internship, which ends on Friday, is being made permanent from Monday.

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Found out today that my internship, which ends on Friday, is being made permanent from Monday.

Awesome, im on one of these too and it's ending in January i really like the job and i hope they keep me on.

Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Man flu beaten! Now everyone else has it :pac:

congrats man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Congrats man. Great news.

I got the confirmation yesterday that I got the job I'd the second interview for last week. So it's 100% official now.

And there are some seriously sweet benefits with it!!!

Only downside is, it doesn't start for another 8 weeks.

OSI wrote: »
    Ah shucks, might as well spill as everyone else is in the mood :p

Start my new job next tuesday. Can't wait :D

Sitting in work the last couple of weeks just counting away the days to the new one I'm that excited by it (pretty sad, maybe, but I enjoy what I do when it's in the right environment).

Also helps that the new job is going to give me immense power over you all.... Muahahahahahaha :D:D:D

Congrats man.

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah shucks, might as well spill as everyone else is in the mood :p

Start my new job next tuesday. Can't wait :D

Sitting in work the last couple of weeks just counting away the days to the new one I'm that excited by it (pretty sad, maybe, but I enjoy what I do when it's in the right environment).

Also helps that the new job is going to give me immense power over you all.... Muahahahahahaha :D:D:D

Unless you getting a pair of tits and chopping off gentleman sausage, you will have feck all power over us.

P.s gratz

• Advertisement

Just back from my break, I was sitting in my car eating a sangwich parked in a car park, When a boy racer enters the carpark in a 1.3 civic, Modified to the last. It seems that he was meeting a felt friend. pulled up beside his mate who was parked and a slope in the car park (Not even in a parking space) So the the owner of the civic got out locked the doors and walked around the front of the civic to the driver side window of the felt spec bora. He looked around and seen his civic rolling back, he was searching for the keys in his pockets as It picked up a little speed and rolled into a wall. I nearly choked on my sangwich laughing. The whole back bumper in bits, the lexus lights smashed. It was one of the funniest things I seen in my life. :pac: I hope next time he remembers to put up the hand break! lol

I'm not perfect my self, But Id always make sure I have the hand brake up and the car in gear before I would get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Please tell me you're not a union worker:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Oh, you'll see... You'll see :D

I'm keeping the man sausage. The boobs are under consideration however.

If that's the case then it's obvious that you're becoming a mod here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

He is in IT, right?
    Are you going to be working f

He is in IT, right?
    Are you going to be working for boards?

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    He is in IT, right?
    Are you going to be working for boards?

;)

YOU TEEEEASE!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

LIGHTNING wrote: »

I've seen better value ones there. There was a black one on a month or so ago and it was beautiful. Had climate control too! They look amazing though, I would definitely recommend, especially seeing as how you love fiat like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Maybe he is buying boards. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

driving down the m1 getting some serious mpg thanks to the 12D28774 in front of me going to Dublin :-P

CianRyan wrote: »
    YOU TEEEEASE!!!!!

lol! I wonder though, how long will he keep us in suspenders. :/ I hope its not too long lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

lol, Cian pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although it's the company that owns boards, not just boards itself.

Only problem now is, I lose my free city centre 24/7 parking :(

Currently looking at parking spaces to rent :D

Theres a Parkrite car pack only a few minutes walk from it and you can get monthly tickets, should cost less than renting a parking place in the city centre. Best of luck at Distilled Media :D

lol, Cian pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although it's the company that owns boards, not just boards itself.

Only problem now is, I lose my free city centre 24/7 parking :(

Currently looking at parking spaces to rent :D

Your going to work for the company that owns boards? Flashing the cash!!!!

Ever wonder why I don't bother cleaning the cars? This is a regular occurrence outside my house :mad:

Image2317.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Looks like that man flu has morphed into diarrhoea man!

• Advertisement

Looks like that man flu has morphed into diarrhoea dan!

tumblr_lj8q1ftsZe1qinhx2o1_500.jpg
    FYP :p

That reminds me to go do something before I start working on the 406... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kupus wrote: »

You'd swear it was down the bottom of a canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Planning on swapping my Clubman for a Mini convertible but there's a Bit of a delay as the rear screen heater is fecked so they have to change the whole hood.....seriously.

Sitting out in the car now, letting it tick over. It's gotten bloody cold. :|

So today had a nice day away from work,

Had an early morning. So i took a trip up to belfast today to have a browse around, picked up a few gifts, so on so forth. Was great fun (no assholes annoying me, junkies etc.)

Felt weird being the only person around in a ROI reg'd car. then you see another one and think oh cool, Im not alone :pac: :)

but theres a few points i wanna share.

The girls up there, for the most part, are so much better looking and better all rounders than the muppets in dublin ! loads caught my eyes (and even one or two school girls :eek: )

I like that the traffic lights do the red/orange. then green , great heads up.

I like that the Motorways had digital speed limit signs that changed with the flow of traffic (and ofcourse MPH :D )

Also cameras everywhere for traffic info is nice and handy.

I like that people up there know how to drive and dont act the bollox (ok some do but you know) - Saw some amazing cars up there that are well kept !

Some newish S Class's, new golfs GTi's, siroccos, all great looking and well kept.

Saw a cop car being a Octavia, just thought that was cool.

i like that the signs had english things like "give way" as opposed to "Yeild" and so on. maybe easier to understand ?

and on the M1 on the way back i got some serious MPG by sitting behind bus eireanns brand spanky new airplane double decker coach (your man was actually flying along too)

so all great, until i got to the republic where it all went down hill.

Some knob goblin on the M1 (ROI) in a blue passet wouldnt stop sticking his middle finger up at me because i was in the overtaking lane over taking all the cars and i wouldnt let him in because he was too slow (Mother F*CKER)

driving down Holly bank road dublin and i was driving straight all the way down to the end of that road when the car in front of me is indicating to turn left up Iona Ave (no hassle). so i didnt over take but let him complete the maneuver. but the stupid ignorant cow in a stupid compact jeep decided as they just completed the turn to drive out onto the road only to leave us nearly crashing into each others front wings (Mother F*cking stupid ignorant f*ck of a cow) and as i was looking at her driving by she just had a smug, ignorant look about her to say she was right (one of those faces you just want to slap with a fish)

driving on further after that i came to a mini roundabout, There was traffic coming from the right so i "yielded" to them until this muppet of a taxi driver stop on the roundabout and waved me to go. I sat there thinking "WTF ?" and sat there and told him to move his fat ass (he had passengers in the car so i actually genuinely think he was trying to up the fare by adding time to the meter, the passengers were irish and thinking "WTF" by the looks on their faces)

then driving down phibsboro road, some muppet in a saloon pulling infront of me at the very last second coming out of the bus lane, (ggrrrr)

Also idiots driving down the Quays outside the guiness factory at 26KM/H. Learn the poxy limit. wasnt a speed camera or anything there anyway.

driving down the N4 towards clondalkin (was heading to see some friends btw all :) ) people didnt understand the concept of keep left (like i did and didnt get overtaken but people sat there anyway)

and also this fear of being overtaken that it must not happen to them or else ? bolloxs.

anyway thats just from today, now im not saying everything is rosey up north (they have assholes on roads too but they all seemed to be off today which was nice), someone woman was overtaking a cyclist on the crest of a hill and that was terrifying how close we got :eek: (new underwear acquired)

But maybe this was always the case and i just didnt really care until you drive elsewhere and realize how relaxed people are elsewhere and there are better drivers elsewhere (i dont claim to be great btw) and maybe its only when you come back to dublin you see the muppets clearer than day.

but anyway, thats my rant.

it all comes back to road infrastructure and Road/Driving/Vehicle learning etc. which i think should be better here like traffic school etc.

anyway, [/rant]

Sorry for the long post - I think theres one or twos points im gonna get abused on - sorry in advance. just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Do you think yield is Irish or something? :pac:

Did a bit of wiring :)

578579_10151098071228682_193132823_n.jpg

/M

dar83 wrote: »

it could be Latvian with the way some people treat it tbh.

dar83 wrote: »

In fairness to KS&L I do tend to find drivers up North slightly more courteous and well behaved than in the South.

I work in Belfast fairly regularly and commute from Dublin when I do, and it's certainly a nicer experience in my opinion.

On another note lads, don't know if any of you need a second key for your car, but if you do Timpsons (one in Dublin, Galway and Newbridge that I know of) are currently doing half price on second keys, chipped. Picked up one today (a few weeks ago the OH threw my one and only key into the outside rubbish bin, wasn't me who had to empty it to find it :D) delighted with the service, couldn't have been a nicer experience. I was in getting a pair of boots repaired and noticed it as a secondary thing, and ten minutes later, job done, new key.

Great service, the key was €42.50 even at half price, don't know if it's good or bad, but I found the service great.

Actually on another topic entirely driving down the M7 tonight, I was behind a ford Mondeo which appeared to have stuck brake lights, including the high level brake light.
    He gets off the motorway and the light went off?

Has he some gizmo on the go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Would he have been braking when the brake lights were off? I've seen that happen before. Brake light switch reverses action so when not braking, you get brake lights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement