Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

renofan wrote: »
    I have had a 1998 Micra since it was 18 months old and was delighted when it flew through the NCT this morning. The best bit is that everything, (except the tyres of course!), on the car is original.

I had a 95 one as my first car. Great little yoke! What millage have you put on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

sean1141 wrote: »
    I had a 95 one as my first car. Great little yoke! What millage have you put on it?

It only had 8k miles on it when I bought it and currently stands at 97,875 miles. Did 52.4 mpg a few weeks back so its still in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It only had 8k miles on it when I bought it and currently stands at 97,875 miles. Did 52.4 mpg a few weeks back so its still in good shape.

Do you mean to tell me that a car with 98,000 miles is still on original pads, bushes, shocks etc.?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bushes, shocks etc.?? :eek:

bushes wearing out is mostly a problem with cars with multi-link suspension in Ireland, like for example BMW, Merc etc. Something simple like a Micra probably won't see much of those issues.

Shocks can last very long. I think, I changed mine at 360k in the Caravelle. They were still good, but I went for sport shocks.

As for the pads, well, if they're within the limits, why not.

/M

Do you mean to tell me that a car with 98,000 miles is still on original pads, bushes, shocks etc.?? :eek:

Yup. I don't drive the sh!te out of it. (not that I could anyways. Being the powerful 997cc version!) The tyres are on it since April 2007 too.

The tyres are on it since April 2007 too.

The only thing you've got to be aware of there, is that the tyres can go brittle with age, even though they aren't worn down.

6 years is usually a max recommended age. There's no rule though. It really depends on the state of the tyres.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The only thing you've got to be aware of there, is that the tyres can go brittle with age, even though they aren't worn down.

6 years is usually a max recommended age. There's no rule though. It really depends on the state of the tyres.

/M

Ya I know that, you get an advisory in the NCT if your tyres are over 6years old. Haven't changed them as planning on new wheels next year anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Marcusm wrote: »
    Is that where you used the cans of spray paint?

Lol :D No, its not. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

ah low enough millage for the year. I owned mine for one year and put 40k miles on it :o
    original shocks are still in the mondeo at 190k miles. It done mostly motorway millage before I bought it. It will all depend on the type of driving the car is doing. Tipping around town etc won't be hard on it. Then again some cars just like bushings more than others!

• Advertisement

sean1141 wrote: »
    original shocks are still in the mondeo at 190k miles. It done mostly motorway millage before I bought it. It will all depend on the type of driving the car is doing. Tipping around town etc won't be hard on it. Then again some cars just like bushings more than others!

True but what I was trying to say was "consumables" moreso than specific items even though I did mention spcific items :o

The zt is on 104k miles and on all original shocks ind bushes etc.... Inc timing belts :pac:
    Honestly don't understand why so many on here think shocks have so shirt a lifespan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

RoverJames wrote: »
    The zt is on 104k miles and on all original shocks ind bushes etc.... Inc timing belts :pac:
    Honestly don't understand why so many on here think shocks have so shirt a lifespan.

You playing timing belt roulette?

Just because a car passes an NCT doesn't mean jack for the health of your shocks. It's all about balance, and it's very easy for both of them to be equally ****ed!

The zt is on 104k miles and on all original shield and bushes etc.... Inc timing belts :pac:

On my Laguna I didn't have to replace pads, shocks and one ball joint until well after 150k miles. I usually get 50 to 60k miles out of tyres and my wife's car (Focus II) has 243k kms on it and everything is original (again apart from the tyres.). I do look after the cars and don't abuse them and service/replace fluids well within their timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Just got rear ended by a passat on a roundabout:mad:
    No damage (dont know how, i was stopped and he hit me hard enough to move me about 2 feet) so the other driver, asked me how I was, told me it was his fault, apologised and we shook hands and drove off:D
    Very civilised!

Edit: in paris, no chance of this in ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

One less Tee Diddley Eye Passat out there after this mornings sandwiching it received on the M50. Front car was an Accord and I think the rear one was a Mazda 3.

Lovely tailback for about 3km because of it as well, took me over half an hour to do an 5-7min journey. Didn't look like anyone was seriously hurt anyway, no Ambulances or anything, probably lucky it was a Passat in the middle.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Right I have come to the conclusion that I don't like big cars, the sooner I can get into a smaller 3 door hatchback the better.

I knew there was something off about you when you started posting about Punto's...

:P

Right I have come to the conclusion that I don't like big cars, the sooner I can get into a smaller 3 door hatchback the better.

Swap for a perfect Micra, tis 3 door and all! Its definately smaller and the best bit....it passed the NCT this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dar83 wrote: »
    One less Tee Diddley Eye Passat out there after this mornings sandwiching it received on the M50. Front car was an Accord and I think the rear one was a Mazda 3.

Lovely tailback for about 3km because of it as well, took me over half an hour to do an 5-7min journey. Didn't look like anyone was seriously hurt anyway, no Ambulances or anything, probably lucky it was a Passat in the middle.

Whereabouts was that? And at what time?

w
    You playing timing belt roulette?

Just because a car passes an NCT doesn't mean jack for the health of your shocks. It's all about balance, and it's very easy for both of them to be equally ****ed!

I don't consider it roulette in the true sense as I'm quite confident they won't let go.
    Passing the NCT is indeed meaningless enough, interpretation of the results that the imbalance figure is derived from can be quite useful in gauging the health of the shocks! If they are actually f***ed that would be evident to anyone who knew their beans. Also, I didnt mention NCT :)

draffodx wrote: »
    Whereabouts was that? And at what time?

Was just approaching the Blanch exit, literally about 200m from the off ramp beginning. Traffic was tailed back to just after the Ballymun exit.

It was just cleared when I finally got to it, the three cars involved were on the hard shoulder and the Passat was on a recovery truck, obviously took it in both ends.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say what time. I passed them at about 9:50. I got caught in the tailback at about 9:15...
    Edit 2: Southbound side of the M50. (I'm done now, promise... haha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Was just approaching the Blanch exit, literally about 200m from the off ramp beginning. Traffic was tailed back to just after the Ballymun exit.

It was just cleared when I finally got to it, the three cars involved were on the hard shoulder and the Passat was on a recovery truck, obviously took it in both ends.

Ah I was going the other way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Follow Live Drive on Twitter, they were tweeting about it all morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

w

I don't consider it roulette in the true sense as I'm quite confident they won't let go.
    Passing the NCT is indeed meaningless enough, interpretation of the results that the imbalance figure is derived from can be quite useful in gauging the health of the shocks! If they are actually f***ed that would be evident to anyone who knew their beans. Also, I didnt mention NCT :)

Sorry James that second part wasn't aimed at you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

You know you wan't a Megane RS

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

any body know where i can get a back window wiper motor and wiper arm for a 00 corolla liftback

crixos30 wrote: »
    any body know where i can get a back window wiper motor and wiper arm for a 00 corolla liftback

Have you tried your local breakers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

New exhaust is due in today! )

gollywog wrote: »
    New exhaust is due in today! )

Expensive ? Did you go for a backpipe or a whole system with cat back/turbo downpipe.

Have my eyes on an upgrade myself

Expensive ? Did you go for a backpipe or a whole system with cat back/turbo downpipe.

I'm really sorry, but who are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Does it matter? :confused:

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »

No, im just wondering.

EDIT: I dint want personal information, just wondering what his/her usual username is. :)

Im that young fella from Halford's i came here to stalk you ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I don't even...

220986.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

CianRyan wrote: »

No, im just wondering.

EDIT: I dint want personal information, just wondering what his/her usual username is. :)

Ha, ah right. I thought you were just being cheeky to a new user. That makes sense. :)

@Dead Ed: HAHAHAHAHA! That's just mental.

^ more than likely done by the owners to stop people stealing it ;)

^ more than likely done by the owners to stop people stealing it ;)

Exactly what I was about to say. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The clock in my car has gone over the 100k km mark - I'm pretty sure it's rendered completely unsaleable now :pac:

jenizzle wrote: »
    The clock in my car has gone over the 100k km mark - I'm pretty sure it's rendered completely unsaleable now :pac:

That depends, when was its last scheduled complete engine rebuild, and was it carried out by a Mazda dealer? :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

That depends, when was its last scheduled complete engine rebuild, and was it carried out by a Mazda dealer? :D

Done every 20k. I've actually started doing them myself now, saves me paying dealer prices :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nearly at 200,000M myself :eek:

Im that young fella from Halford's i came here to stalk you ! :pac:

LOL! :D

I've over 430k km on the Caravelle and it's LHD. Try that one :)

Even the M5 is over 170k now.

/M

Should have bought one of the two 106 Rallye that were for sale. Both gone to other boardsies.

/M

Get a 3 door fiat Seicento and stick in a red top. Rocket in your pocket! :cool:

I just went for the milltek non res cat back for now. Will get the other parts next year before I get it mapped. It was 565 from keith in alloy-wheels.ie.

But typically, the last day or two, my dsg has been a bit clunky changing from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd so hopefully i dont need a new mechatronic unit after having spent all that money...... :(

• Advertisement

gollywog wrote: »
    my dsg has been a bit clunky changing from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd so hopefully i dont need a new mechatronic unit after having spent all that money...... :(

Is the gearbox sealed or can you drain and renew the fluid in it? I would try fresh fluid first and see if that helps. I know it would happen in all gears but it's worth a shot.

Is the gearbox sealed or can you drain and renew the fluid in it? I would try fresh fluid first and see if that helps. I know it would happen in all gears but it's worth a shot.

I'm not sure man,
    Was just on the phone to george there,
    Going to bring it to him and go from there suppose...
    Hopefully its not the new mechatronic, unlikely but i'm still hoping!

Had a nice little Seicento but I got pissed off with it snapping clutch cables. Spent a few weeks driving it without a clutch before I had enough :pac:

Was that just the standard 1L? I can assure you that, you wouldnt get pissed off with a Seicento red top. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't get this 'scene' thing....

Saw a mk3 golf today. The usual. Wide wheels, exhaust from a tractor etc.

It had a bonnet bra and a rusty bonnet ffs.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't get this 'scene' thing....

Saw a mk3 golf today. The usual. Wide wheels, exhaust from a tractor etc.

It had a bonnet bra and a rusty bonnet ffs.

Wouldn't be my cuppa tae either....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement