Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Jaysus CM its slow enough as it is without slowing it down quicker..

remap that yoke and get a leather interior / M Sport bumper for your grand instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

So, driving along parnell street earlier, and a guy in a white caddy swerves in front of me. Scared the s*it out of me, but managed to avoid it. Get up along side him to notice he has returned to his phone call and cigarette :mad: And still manages to find a spare hand to give me the finger, p*ick. Seriously, the state of some peoples driving is shocking, I'm far from perfect but that just takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

mmcn90 wrote: »
    So, driving along parnell street earlier, and a guy in a white caddy swerves in front of me. Scared the s*it out of me, but managed to avoid it. Get up along side him to notice he has returned to his phone call and cigarette :mad: And still manages to find a spare hand to give me the finger, p*ick. Seriously, the state of some peoples driving is shocking, I'm far from perfect but that just takes the biscuit.

Noticing this more and more myself :mad:
    The cheek of some people is shocking also, I dont mind people making mistakes while driving as such, that can happen, but when they start abusing me for there crappy driving my fuse blows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

mmcn90 wrote: »

trust me. and I mean trust me from some one who drives city centre all day.

I feel your pain bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

gollywog wrote: »
    Noticing this more and more myself :mad:
    The cheek of some people is shocking also, I dont mind people making mistakes while driving as such, that can happen, but when they start abusing me for there crappy driving my fuse blows...

Yeah, it really annoyed me. And I was in a mood to start with!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What's wrong with the brakes on it now? You could do a lot with a grand that would be better spent than improving brakes!

I'm well aware what I can do with the money alright, I've a nice list of things to work my way through, but I have always intended to replace the brakes at some point.

Just curious though, what would you buy?

Here's whats done / ready to do:

Suspension:

Lemforder Topmounts
    Koni STR.T shocks F&R
    Eibach springs F&R
    Meyle HD droplinks
    Meyle HD Wishbones
    Meyle HD wishbone bushes
    All other rear shock parts replaced with BMW parts

Considering ARB Polybushes

General:
    CSL Bootlid
    CF Wrapped interior
    CF Kidney Grilles
    DMF done before I bought it

Tyres:
    Front: Goodyear Eagle f1 Asymmetric 2
    Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

What needs to be done:
    Replace steering angle sensor
    Tracking
    Clean EGR
    Install new fuel filter
    Replace turbo breather filter
    Wiper linkages
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To me it seems like a giant waste of money putting 6-pot Brembo brakes on a 3 series diesel. Its not like you currently have drum brakes all round currently! And I dont think your going to be doing any track days in here right?

Would your opinion be the same if it was a 325i? And I'll certainly be taking it out whenever I find the time. Who knows, it may even find its way over to the ring at some point.
    I'm of the opinion that better tyres would be a more worthwhile investment than calipers.
    Marlow wrote: »
    Better tyres first, alright.

It's on Eagle F1's and Potenzas, not triangles. So I'm not quite sure what "better" tyres you suggest I put on it first?
    He has an E46 320D

Oh noes, someones modifying a diesel in a non-felty manner! kill them quick :pac:
    Marlow wrote: »
    Sounds very cheap. Where did you source the brackets ? I've only found a place in Germany so far, that does them for the E46.
    ECS Tuning in the US, selling the full package.

conzy wrote: »
    Jaysus CM its slow enough as it is without slowing it down quicker..

remap that yoke and get a leather interior / M Sport bumper for your grand instead.
    Haw :p

Hate leather interiors and Alcantara Msport coupe interiors are fecking rare as far as i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm some what biased as I've wasted money on cars in the last four years and I've just given up really. I'm saving hard so my mind is in a different mindset.

If I was to spend a grand in the morning it'd be

New laptop

Dentist + teeth cleaned

Short trip somewhere in Ireland for me and misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Cian, I have to say fair play to you dude.

You're spending lots of money on upgrades on a smoker that you know you're never gonna see back come sale time.

One thing is obvious though - you're doing this for yourself and no body else.

Kudos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Cian, I have to say fair play to you dude.

You're spending lots of money on upgrades on a smoker that you know you're never gonna see back come sale time.

One thing is obvious though - you're doing this for yourself and no body else.

Kudos

This is true but as far as I know, his name isn't Cian :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

He has an E46 320D

We've had this discussion before.........the dark side is stonger:D

And as an aside, the only time I have ever been truly terrified in a car being driven at absolutely horrific speed (and I dont scare easy;) ) was in a 320D driven by one of Mark Allen's mechanics! It was mapped to fook and back, but even still:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

pred racer wrote: »
    We've had this discussion before.........the dark side is stonger:D

And as an aside, the only time I have ever been truly terrified in a car being driven at absolutely horrific speed (and I dont scare easy;) ) was in a 320D driven by one of Mark Allen's mechanics! It was mapped to fook and back, but even still:eek:

Sounds like you need to get into some more exciting cars in scary predicaments. :D

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ECS Tuning in the US, selling the full package.

Don't forget, that you've got to add vat/duty to that figure as the stuff arrives.

Still a good price though.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

dar83 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to get into some more exciting cars in scary predicaments. :D

;)

Probably right mate:)

Although that includes being driven around north Derry by my lunatic rally driver mate in his rally spec evo V.

I may also have been involved in a race between an evo9 and a subaru sti;)

Edit: we also took that rally car round a motocross course, that was ahem, interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

saw a guy in a 05 bmw 5 series clip the back of an ambulance about 30 mins ago.

nearly pulled off his whole front bumber but got away with half on half hanging off.

I gave all my details to the ambulance crew and garda since nobody else went forward as a witness.

couldn't understand why people wouldn't stop for 5 seconds to give a name and number.

bmw man was flipping and trying to blame the medics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

sean1141 wrote: »
    Anyone want to guess whats going on here???
    DSC_0043_zps35630c68.jpg

DSC_0046_zpsc2a408ad.jpg

• Advertisement

This is true but as far as I know, his name isn't Cian :P

Was the thought that counts Daithi! ;)

Sean, I really hope that's primer and not the colour coat :P

Was the thought that counts Daithi! ;)

It doesn't when you direct it at someone else!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The post would actually make sense for myself so I'll just take it. :D

CM knew what I meant - that's all that counts fanboi! ;)

CM knew what I meant - that's all that counts fanboi! ;)

Aaahh heoore, leave it fvcken ouh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I may have just priced up some 6-pot BMW Performance (Brembo) brakes...

€920 for calipers, carriers, braided lines, 325x25 discs, pads, etc and 1L ATE Super blue isn't bad right

>_>

<_<

Honestly, I wouldnt bother with those, total overkill. A decent pads/disc set up will massively improve braking, for under half the cost of that kit landed and fitted.

I'm dropping a set of Brembo's off the racecar cos they're that overkill - I know other guys have done this too this year.

Look at a set of pads and discs from Endless and maybe a set of Goodridge lines, you'll save a good few quid and notice a massive difference in braking.

Spend the extra wedge on a Remap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Honestly, I wouldnt bother with those, total overkill. A decent pads/disc set up will massively improve braking, for under half the cost of that kit landed and fitted.

I'm dropping a set of Brembo's off the racecar cos they're that overkill - I know other guys have done this too this year.

Look at a set of pads and discs from Endless and maybe a set of Goodridge lines, you'll save a good few quid and notice a massive difference in braking.

Spend the extra wedge on a Remap!

Pads/Discs from Endless and Goodridge lines will cost more than 1k :pac:

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Pads/Discs from Endless and Goodridge lines will cost more than 1k :pac:

That kit he's looking at will cost a lot more than 1k landed and fitted too though.

Even upgrade fronts and it's a big saving and a big improvement!!

That kit he's looking at will cost a lot more than 1k landed and fitted too though.

Even upgrade fronts and it's a big saving and a big improvement!!

Endless pad/disc combo is €780 and the lines will be €200 plus another €50ish for the high temp fluid. It's what I'd do but I'm a bit special as we all know

CM - does that price include shipping? I was after a set of front discs for the RX8 and it was €240 just to get them shipped due to the weight. I'd say that brake kit is quite a bit heavier.

Endless pad/disc combo is €780 and the lines will be €200 plus another €50ish for the high temp fluid. It's what I'd do but I'm a bit special as we all know

The lines are 70 quid plus shipping from Fleabay.... Either way it would be cheaper than a 6 pot caliper replacement, and would achieve much the same result....

Sure haven't you converted me to this for the Ibiza?!

The lines are 70 quid plus shipping from Fleabay.... Either way it would be cheaper than a 6 pot caliper replacement, and would achieve much the same result....

Sure haven't you converted me to this for the Ibiza?!

That's not bad, sorry that €200 is what we used to charge fitted plus fluid for the goodridge lines so my sums are a bit off.

I may have you converted but I'm just giving the weird ginger kid an idea of options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I may have you converted but I'm just giving the weird ginger kid an idea of options

Conzy interested too? :pac:

Conzy interested too? :pac:

TBH I wouldn't know what to call him.... He's not weird, he's tapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Yellow on black.. What's wrong with that :p

Good hurling colours :D

• Advertisement

TBH I wouldn't know what to call him.... He's not weird, he's tapped John Rambo

FYP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Poxy roads, I'm convinced the shock absorber on the front passenger side is gone.

Is the bounce test I've looked up online a reliable indicator?

Feels like I'm being launched into outer space on bad roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

dar83 wrote: »

;)

ST in heavy rain on Accelera's with no TC and the loud pedal doing most of the steering :p

FYP

60001143900339179565043.jpg

:pac:

Any excuse for that picture is always worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Oh Dear Oh dear, control your orgasms !

206396_10151106851308682_1854785467_n.jpg

And no: That's not for lowering. Nuff said.

/M

Sarsfield Motors managed to do what I couldn't - they sold the MPS! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It always sells easier after a good wash ;)

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Poxy roads, I'm convinced the shock absorber on the front passenger side is gone.

Is the bounce test I've looked up online a reliable indicator?

Feels like I'm being launched into outer space on bad roads!

It's not a bad indicator, I've never had a car that would bounce enough to fail it, any evidence of a leak on the shock?

Well. Happy days for you and happy days for them. What more do you want ? :D

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

That concert was insane last night, the academy is a great venue! Got to meet both of them afterwards too :D

Things that didn't go so well, that ****in muppet in tyreland put aside 245/40/18 tyres for me instead of 225s and had none of them in stock besides some unbranded **** he tried to sell me. I wouldnt mind but I have to pay the m50 toll and it's about an extra 7-8€ on petrol.

Also, the q park on Marlborough st. was a great recommendation thank you Shteno. However, I was too early to avail of the 6€ overnight price so I asked the guy after paying for the first hour do I have to drive out and in again to get a new ticket to get the deal, he said no and signed my ticket with 6€ and his name and said show the night guy at customer service desk this when we got back at half 11 and all would be well. Got back at quarter past, no one around, rang the helpline thingy and this sarcastic bastard answers. Says there is no one around and that I'd have to pay the 18€ I owed. I asked him what if I didn't have 18€ left after a concert and he said I'd just have to leave my car overnight. I just couldn't fathom there was no security or no one to call? Gave up on him so I'm gonna kick up a stink later by phone.

..did you take the 245s?

RoverJames wrote: »
    ..did you take the 245s?

nope, wouldnt fit anyway. it'd rub as well. disaster

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I asked kellehers on Victoria Road about the tyres.
    225/40/18 at 50 each for a matching set.
    Just ring to confirm brand first.

087-1941192

• Advertisement

did you actually go through and get a set yourself mik?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got a set for the Pug, they are all season ones but loads of thread.

ST is ok for the moment, but will give him a shout when they need changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I asked kellehers on Victoria Road about the tyres.
    225/40/18 at 50 each for a matching set.
    Just ring to confirm brand first.

087-1941192

50e for 225/40/18 tyre? i',m afraid to ask the brand,i hope the are going on something with around 17 bhp! :D

Part worns I would assume... So I'm guessing probably Bridgestone or something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I was learning how to touch type today, Now my hands are in bits... I also seen someone driving up the street on the wrong side of the road, on a tractor lawn mower. :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement