Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Shamelessly stolen from YLYL

tax.jpg

Just ordered one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

tumblr_maksqtG9931qfx8og.jpg

It was only €7 including posting so it was hard to resist :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Anyone know a good place to get centrecaps, want something like this for my wheels i have the silver ones and they are eaten alive with whiteworm.

etabeta-tettsut_black_L.jpg

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

eBay?

OSI wrote: »
    The cheapest remap going, a week commuting on the bus.

Went from spending 1-1.5 hrs a day minimum in the car to not using it for 5 days straight. Jumped in last night and the love was rekindled at first ignition.

MFW+I+see+something+from+my+ex.+Vacuuming+my+car_63eb13_3979236.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As much as I've considered getting the Train to work during the week to save a few quid, I cant.

I feel dirty every time I log onto Irish Rail's website to book a ticket, and end up buying something for the car instead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Got a to take a spin of a 180sx jap import tonight after work. 2way diff, I'm proud to still be here :D
    I broke the 130mph barrier on my Astra last night too, speedo read 218kph sat nav said 211kph so I'll go with that.:)

They look cool man. :)

• Advertisement

They look cool man. :)

Im after these centrecaps as my silver standard ones are corroded to hell and back (Previous owner used acidic wheel cleaner alot)

Hopefully between plastidip and new centrecaps i can get something like

etabeta-tettsut_black_L.jpg

Im after these centrecaps as my silver standard ones are corroded to hell and back (Previous owner used acidic wheel cleaner alot)

Hopefully between plastidip and new centrecaps i can get something like

http://reinhardt-tuning.de/images/etabeta-tettsut_black_L.jpg[/IMG]

Cant wait to see the final product. :cool:

Neither can the potholes :(

Neither can the potholes :(

Ah don't be like that. :p Think positive! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Anyone ever get held up by a cyclist pedalling up Knockmaroon hill?

****ing God Bless him for being lunatic enough to do it but I wonder if he understood that the reason I didn't pass him was because I couldn't see up the hill thanks to the bend that's blind going uphill and being about about a metre and a half further right couldn't see oncoming traffic coming down at speed until the last second

Or the reason I was revving the engine was because he was doing 4kph... and my car can't physically go that slow... it needed some clutch stroking.

FTLG... just walk the bastard up. That was literally creating a hazard

Because the car that was ahead of me did gun it past and nearly headon'd someone coming down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

As much as I've considered getting the Train to work during the week to save a few quid, I cant.

I feel dirty every time I log onto Irish Rail's website to book a ticket, and end up buying something for the car instead :(

I feel your pain.... I am getting the bus to Cork this evening after work, it was €18 return V €80 in petrol........

F**ck my life :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fiona wrote: »
    I feel your pain.... I am getting the bus to Cork this evening after work, it was €18 return V €80 in petrol........

F**ck my life :mad:

Yeah, but you'll get a 'free service' at the end of it! :D

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Haha shame i won't get that on the return journey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm some what biased as I've wasted money on cars in the last four years and I've just given up really. I'm saving hard so my mind is in a different mindset.

If I was to spend a grand in the morning it'd be

New laptop

Dentist + teeth cleaned

Short trip somewhere in Ireland for me and misses.

Jesus, you sound just like me. I've done enough over the last 4 years, tinkering and adding stuff. I was the same with computers years back, spent an absolute fortune on them. You get fed up in the end, waste of money.

Also haven't been to the dentist in years so took out VHI dental plan the other day. They're gonna get a shock come December when the 3 month entry period is up. :D

• Advertisement

Also haven't been to the dentist in years so took out VHI dental plan the other day. They're gonna get a shock come December when the 3 month entry period is up. :D

Saw this advertised at the bus stop. What do you get back from it? I am not sure i would bother putting money into something like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Haha shame i won't get that on the return journey!

Awaiting prefect's arrival to frown at off topic innuendi! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Saw this advertised at the bus stop. What do you get back from it? I am not sure i would bother putting money into something like this?

After 3 months you get 70% of fillings, 70% extractions, 70% gum disease care, 2 cleans, 2 xrays, 2 examinations.

After a year you get 50% crowns, inlays and onlays, root canals and dentures.

My twin brother was the same as me, hadnt gone in years and although his teeth looked fine, needed over €2000 in work.
    So its €190 well spent for me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Jesus, you sound just like me. I've done enough over the last 4 years, tinkering and adding stuff. I was the same with computers years back, spent an absolute fortune on them. You get fed up in the end, waste of money.

You's would hate to be me so....

As well as the money pits of cars, I have 12 fillings, 3 root canals and missing a tooth. Fillings had to be redone too.... To fix my teeth cost roughly the same value as the cars :(

I HATE dentists! :mad:

Haven't been to one in, wait for it, 15 years! Have most of my teeth (think I'm missing two towards the back and no fillings. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Haven't been to one in, wait for it, 15 years! Have most of my teeth (think I'm missing two towards the back and no fillings. ;)

I'm pretty much the same, I haven't been in 5/6 years now.

No fillings or missing teeth, but I've a feeling I do need at least one.

It's not even the money issue, I just hate the bastards. I mean who actually chooses to wear latex and stick your fingers into other people's mouths as a career?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty much the same, I haven't been in 5/6 years now.

No fillings or missing teeth, but I've a feeling I do need at least one.

It's not even the money issue, I just hate the bastards. I mean who actually chooses to wear latex and stick your fingers into other people's mouths as a career?

Same as that. Last time I went I needed a tooth out. Hadn't been for 10 years prior to that either and explained why (bout 11 and got butchered). You'll just feel a little pressure he said, be grand he said. Ended up with deep teeth marks across his fingers. :mad:

After 3 months you get 70% of fillings, 70% extractions, 70% gum disease care, 2 cleans, 2 xrays, 2 examinations.

After a year you get 50% crowns, inlays and onlays, root canals and dentures.

My twin brother was the same as me, hadnt gone in years and although his teeth looked fine, needed over €2000 in work.
    So its €190 well spent for me. :pac:

... Went guts of 15 years without a visit too, had to go eventually, was in seriou pain, one huge filling and two small ones, clean and polish, wasn't much over 200 IIRC :) unless you need lots done 190 insurance mightn't work out as value.
    As above, found them to be animals as a kid, the chap I went to was grand thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

2010-Ferrari-P540-Superfast-Aperta-4.jpg

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Ferrari+P540+Superfast+Aperta&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=wYxcUOC6O8a3hQe3lIBw&biw=1920&bih=955&sei=xYxcUOKwC5CBhQe_xYG4BA

I just discovered this, despite the fact it's years old. It's a one off Ferrari commissioned by an American. It is I think, remarkably ugly for a Ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

My wife is a dental nurse and before I met her in 2005 I hadn't been to a dentist since 1994. I now go twice a year! But I'm lucky in that I have good teeth so its usually a scale and polish. But you should hear the money that people have to spend. Also had a few people pass out on them. Doesn't bother me tbh but I can see why it does upset some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can we stop talking about dentists please?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OK, let's make it motor related - I know a dentist with an E60 M5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

2010-Ferrari-P540-Superfast-Aperta-4.jpg

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Ferrari+P540+Superfast+Aperta&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=wYxcUOC6O8a3hQe3lIBw&biw=1920&bih=955&sei=xYxcUOKwC5CBhQe_xYG4BA

I just discovered this, despite the fact it's years old. It's a one off Ferrari commissioned by an American. It is I think, remarkably ugly for a Ferrari.

That's horrible!
    It looks like an ugly Corvette concept.

OK, let's make it motor related - I know a dentist with an E60 M5 :D

My old dentist owned a porsche 911 996 series. :cool: He also got a picture taken (and signed) with Joey Dunlop before Joey passed away in 2000.

Cortina club on Nationwide now, anyone from here on it??

So many innuendos going around in my head about men and dentists, strange things in their mouths and spitting don't stop its great laugh!

I spent €6k on my teeth. Painful but worth it.

So many innuendos going around in my head about men and dentists, strange things in their mouths and spitting don't stop its great laugh!

I spent €6k on my teeth. Painful but worth it.

Expensive rates for what they do! Filling mouths with expensive hard little things.... :pac::pac::pac:

Car related, the new backbox is far better for my health than the old one :) I'll see ifI can get pics later but it had blown up in the middle, sending the fumes into the car :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

So no scorpion back box then, or was that just a tip piece?

Hal1 wrote: »
    So no scorpion back box then, or was that just a tip piece?

Scorpion backbox :)

I just didn't get pics of it in situ yet, just enjoying the fume free driving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Anyone have any experience with halfords advanced socket sets? I can get the 170 piece kit for €135 at the moment and it has everything I need more or less

Also while we are on the subject, is Halfords heat resistant paint decent ? Need to do calipers they are crying out for a lick of paint

• Advertisement

Also while we are on the subject, is Halfords heat resistant paint decent ? Need to do calipers they are crying out for a lick of paint

Don't mind that, go for Hammerite direct to rust paint. I used this on the calipers of the MPS and it turned out brilliantly. It's very tough once dried and best of all, no more rust will come through it.

I gave them a coat of Halfords petrol resistant lacquer too because it's well able to handle the heat if you brake a good bit.

I think it is, just use a wire brush on any rust and spray it on! Make sure its a full can before you go to the till. :D

No rust really, just look sad and grey.

Will be getting the spray type regardless

No rust really, just look sad and grey.

Will be getting the spray type regardless

I got a good finish on mine using brush on hammerite. There is no brush marks in the finish.

I just cleaned them carefully using washing up liquid.

Rubbed them down with a wire brush.

cleaned off the dust and painted. :cool:

(basically followed the guide in the DIY section.) ;)

Paint from a spray can isn't strong enough to withstand the conditions that brake calipers are in as it goes on too thin. You need think brush-on paint for calipers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Paint from a spray can isn't strong enough to withstand the conditions that brake calipers are in as it goes on too thin. You need think brush-on paint for calipers.

Put it on in this layers and it'll be perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I wouldn't use a spray on Calipers unless you planned on taking them off the car first. Way too much hassle otherwise. You'll spend more time taping everything off than actually painting. :P

As I said before, either Halfords High Temp Paint or Hammerite, depending on your level of thrift/budget. I'd probably go Hammerite personally. :)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Put it on in this layers and it'll be perfect

Not always, the hammerite stuff goes on very thick and 1 coat of that is better than 4 coats from a spray can.

So brush on stuff and leave calipers on, got it !

• Advertisement

So brush on stuff and leave calipers on, got it !

The paint smells amazing the first time it gets hot :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement