Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

RoverJames wrote: »
    I wouldn't take too much notice of the steering wheel in that as an indicator of mileage tbh.

This.

The interior could do with a clean but the steering wheel is damaged due to it being plastic. The chemicals in a lot of oily hand creams break down the plastic and that's what I think happened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

for me its a bit scary... people put something on their hands, which rots away plastic....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

sound so, I'll go for a look at it, I didnt know that hand cream could cause that....learn something new everyday.

Is there any definite way of checking miles, like going to a volvo garage and plugging into the ecu or reading the key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Apart from service history, you could ask for the NCT certs as they have the milage at the time the car is tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anyone here ever have Toyo PX4's (also known as Proxy 4s) on their car? They are working out at €65 per tyre cheaper than Dunlop SP01's or Continental Sport Contacts so pretty tempted by them if they are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Anyone here ever have Toyo PX4's (also known as Proxy 4s) on their car? They are working out at €65 per tyre cheaper than Dunlop SP01's or Continental Sport Contacts so pretty tempted by them if they are decent.

I use Toyo Proxes T1R's, get about 6000 miles out of them... :(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I had / have all of them ... found exelent .... proxes was good on dry, in wet a bit slippy... but controllable ..... now i have dunlop sport ones.. had on skyline , now on avensis .... very good tyre any condition.... continental sport contacts on wifes vw polo .... very good any condition... id say the best.. bit laud ... but if dont know, will not notice... dunlops my favorite :)

Mar4ix wrote: »
    I had / have all of them ... found exelent .... proxes was good on dry, in wet a bit slippy... but controllable ..... now i have dunlop sport ones.. had on skyline , now on avensis .... very good tyre any condition.... continental sport contacts on wifes vw polo .... very good any condition... id say the best.. bit laud ... but if dont know, will not notice... dunlops my favorite :)

Slippy in the wet is what is what I don't want. Finding it hard to get tyres in the size i need. I might have to go with bridgestones on it. Some tyre places are slow to order them too.

I use Toyo Proxes T1R's, get about 6000 miles out of them... :(:D

Another reason not to for them. I had heard they were soft enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Another reason not to for them. I had heard they were soft enough.

i dont know about how soft they are, as i sold car with them.... but found them very good.... well .. yes, bit slippy in rain.... but it wasnt like slip and slide ... it was - you could feel when it loosing grip, but you could control car any way.... i wouldnt say it was bad in rain. .... bit worse than dunlop or bridgestone .... but minimal difference.... but price wise .. pretty noticeable difference ...

i ordered all them from eiretyres.com ... around 5 to - 7 business days to get them.

Went for a small spin this morning to take the dog for a stroll somewhere unfamiliar to her for a change. Headed to Kinsale on the old Rd from Cork City, was an 04 Corsa ahead of me with a few people in it, was very pleasantly surprised by the driver, made great progress and wasn't driving on the brakes at all even on quite twisty bits, stayed behind them until they turned off. All too rare not being behind a muppet driver tbh.

Dog enjoyed the stroll and afterwards was giving her a drink in a service station car park, my Grandad who passed away back in 1985 served his time there as a mechanic way way way back, probably in the 20s or before :eek:

Was weird thinking that many moons ago he'd have been pottering away learning his trade on more or less that same spot.

Was a nice day for a spin anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Define awful in mpg or l per 100 km :)r

Mid to low 20's around town. 30ish on motorway. Averages mid 20's I think, pretty awful IMO.

What one would expect from a 2.2 petrol so imo :)
    I'd say the 30 ish on the motorway is more mid 30s though tbh ;)

Probably compares quite favourably to most 2.0 + petrols, mid to low 20s around town isn't awful to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I get around 31mpg around town,I got 33mpg driving to and from Dublin at an average of 120kph the whole way. It hates motorways :-(

I get around 31mpg around town,I got 33mpg driving to and from Dublin at an average of 120kph the whole way. It hates motorways :-(

You were doing 130mph at one stage :p

• Advertisement

What one would expect from a 2.2 petrol so imo :)
    I'd say the 30 ish on the motorway is more mid 30s though tbh ;)

Probably compares quite favourably to most 2.0 + petrols, mid to low 20s around town isn't awful to be fair.

But you were the one who said the mpg probably isn't as bad. I said going by the Spider, I'd imagine it drinks the stuff. Maybe you have more experience to comment on, although I doubt it. :) just checked the trip computer there, it's averaging 26mpg and it spent all last week in Kerry.

I consider that pretty awful. Worth it though..

... I repeat, that's not bad. Hardly awful.
    It's laughable how you are now a fan of the gm engine when you previously mentioned the petrol alfas were not the thing at all. Daddy buys one and their great now.

... I repeat, that's not bad. Hardly awful.
    It's laughable how you are now a fan of the gm engine when you previously mentioned the petrol alfas were not the thing at all. Daddy buys one and their great now.

I always said the 2.2 was the pick of the bunch of petrol engines on offer by Alfa at the time. Maybe go through my previous posts a little more carefully next time. ;)

Where in my previous post did I specifically say I was a fan of the engine anyway?

Edit 26mpg is pretty awful in my book anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

MPG is all relative, depends how many miles you do and how much fun you have doing them

You were doing 130mph at one stage :p

And doing 110kph for the rest, I figure it evens out definitely :)

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    I always said the 2.2 was the pick of the bunch of petrol engines on offer by Alfa at the time. Maybe go through my previous posts a little more carefully next time. ;)

I reckon you should go through them yourself to find where you always said that ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79548303&postcount=10
    Because the petrol Alfa 159's suck, that's why.

Maybe you didn't know about the 2.2 than?

Best of the worst is not really the same as the pick of the bunch :pac:
    Note how the "only exception" is not the 2.2 ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77603693&postcount=37
    Complete Alfa fan here so excuse the bias in the next few lines of this post!:D

I'm a real fan of the 159 however it has to be diesel all the way, that includes the Brera. The only exception being the 1750tbi engine. The 1.8, 2.2, and 3.2 petrols are all a disappointment after the likes of the twin spark engines and the proper Alfa V6 and not that crap GM lump. There's just nothing to the 1.8 and 3.2 with the 2.2 being the best of the worst in my opinion.

The diesels are a class act. The 1.9 has been going a while but is still a very strong contender and responds well to a remap while also being economical and reliable. There is a new 2.0jtdm out which I have yet to be in but I'm sure it is just an improvement on it's predecessor. The 2.4 is a peach if a little loud and fuel economy and tax are all higher, but then this is a 200bhp+ powerplant.

Never been in a 1.9jts 159 so can't comment, but it's more powerful than the 1.8 so expect it to be a bit nippier. Fuel economy and tax are similar and there a few around going for decent money. Fabulous car but as said earlier just
    make sure it has been and will continued to be maintained appropriately.

I would encourage you to invest some time in the Alfa owner sites as these will give you more info regarding the 1.9jts engine and other advice along the way. :)

Stark change in tune since a 2.2 cropped up in your house though....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80104739&postcount=5
    I'd be driving diesel if I was at more than 18k miles a year tbh.

As well as that some diesels are just nicer cars than their petrol equivalent. The Ford Mondeo for example, I'd imagine that the 2.0TDCI is a far nicer car overall than the 2.0 petrol in terms of overtaking ability, motorway refinement not to mention being significantly more economical.

Anothe example being the Alfa 159. There is a petrol 1.8 which costs far less to buy than the diesel but it's a sh1t engine and the 1.9 diesel beats in hands down. The 2.2 petrol is a nice engine but horrific tax and fuel economy. What I'm saying is, is that some cars just make sense to go for the diesel, even of it costs more.

Some petrol head you are to reckon it's horrific tax and economy :pac:

Where in my previous post did I specifically say I was a fan of the engine anyway?

Edit 26mpg is pretty awful in my book anyway.

You didn't specifically say it, saying that the awful (or horrific) economy and tax is " Worth it though." would suggest it though.

Or would you like to clarify your thoughts on the 2.2 now for us :)

Nothing like a good memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

go to hell dunes stores.

refusing me alcohol even aafter producing my diving license.

we only accept age card and passport.

never had an age card in my life and why tar **** would I have my passport 24/7 when I have my driving license.

mother ****ers.

rant over. sorry

in other news I love my new head unit :-)

and my car will be sleeping in clondalkin tonight. ew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Oh god, James. Would you stop?
    People are allowed change their minds, picking up on stuff like that is just plain annoying.

CianRyan wrote: »
    People are allowed change their minds, picking up on stuff like that is just plain annoying.

No doubt they are, mind changers shouldn't come out with this type of drivel though "Maybe go through my previous posts a little more carefully next time".

If you find posts annoying I believe there is an ignore option on here ;)

Lived there for over two years, I'm pretty sure your car will be fine.

Hmmmm.... Not sure wtf is that.

I am really falling more and more in love with my car. Usually people get bored little by little with their cars, but somehow it's the other way around for me.
    Now I am linking more and more my bastard, but not in the way like I need to get new wheels, more power, more pimping, but in the way I just love what I got and I just want to drive it. If that makes any sense.

*aye, I am not drunk btw. I just dropped off misses to her friends, so misses shadowhearth will be doing the whole "get drunk and be sick next morning". I am at home looking after our so called "kids" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Lived there for over two years, I'm pretty sure your car will be fine.

lived there all my life apart from the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Went for a small spin this morning to take the dog for a stroll somewhere unfamiliar to her for a change. Headed to Kinsale on the old Rd from Cork City, was an 04 Corsa ahead of me with a few people in it, was very pleasantly surprised by the driver, made great progress and wasn't driving on the brakes at all even on quite twisty bits, stayed behind them until they turned off. All too rare not being behind a muppet driver tbh.

Dog enjoyed the stroll and afterwards was giving her a drink in a service station car park, my Grandad who passed away back in 1985 served his time there as a mechanic way way way back, probably in the 20s or before :eek:

Was weird thinking that many moons ago he'd have been pottering away learning his trade on more or less that same spot.

Was a nice day for a spin anyway.

This.

Got bored of the F1 qualy, so went for a spin from Wexford to Naas, and then went to the workshop with the brother to annoy Quazzie. Spin back to Wexford, put up a good 500km on the car.

Now, for a beer or two maybe....

OMG, Pistachio nuts...

I

Just

Can't

STOP !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

CianRyan wrote: »

No doubt they are, mind changers shouldn't come out with this type of drivel though "Maybe go through my previous posts a little more carefully next time".

If you find posts annoying I believe there is an ignore option on here ;)

I'd only ignore someone if all they posted was drivel but you've got a lot of good to give so I've no intention of ignoring your stuff.

Maybe you picked it up wrong? To me, it just doesn't seem like something worth arguing about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mmmmmmm..... Chips and Cola :D

Going for a Saturday evening drive in a few :) The sheer excitment and rewarding drive the 406 has to offer..... :pac::pac::pac:

That's fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Dont like the tiny 17 wheels on pinky....

Thinking about changing them in the new year,

What do you think of these lads....
    I think they look mean :D

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb434/rohecht/0221024x867.jpg

Yay/Nay??

Are they BBS CH or CH-R's ?

http://www.pacificie-tuning.com/Alloy-wheels/BBS-Felgen/19-Zoll:::11701_77354_77356.html

Hmm, is this place legitimate ? Prices seem awfully low, stumbled across it when looking for an image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

gollywog wrote: »
    Dont like the tiny 17 wheels on pinky....

Thinking about changing them in the new year,

What do you think of these lads....
    I think they look mean :D

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb434/rohecht/0221024x867.jpg

Yay/Nay??

in regular silver they could look very well :)

matte black and that style of wheels are just done to death at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

in regular silver they could look very well :)

matte black and that style of wheels are just done to death at this stage!

True about the black. Id say they would look well in gun metal grey also. :)

Bbs vz033s are very similar looking to th pescaras but a lot cheaper.

Them ones I linked are tsw nurburgrings.
    There dark grey not black lol! Although they do look pretty dark...

There 1300 euro without tyres also which is pretty steep...

My wheels are just too small, its annoying me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3926024

Oh dear god, look at all the pics...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3926024

Oh dear god, look at all the pics...

LOL! Its also a car dealership that's selling it, which makes it even worse. :pac:

I just dropped in to bed and there is that movie "torgue" on....

What a stupid and **** looking movie lol. Two woman having a fight on motorcycles... Holy **** how stupid and unrealistic it looked... How old is that movie lads?!

What a stupid and **** looking movie lol. Two woman having a fight on motorcycles... Holy **** how stupid and unrealistic it looked... How old is that movie lads?!

2004 man

nothing like getting to meet your heroes :D

183298_471351939562171_1300159191_n.jpg

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+was+the+film+torque+made%3F

• Advertisement

I reckon you should go through them yourself to find where you always said that ;)

Maybe you didn't know about the 2.2 than?

Best of the worst is not really the same as the pick of the bunch :pac:
    Note how the "only exception" is not the 2.2 ...

Stark change in tune since a 2.2 cropped up in your house though....

Some petrol head you are to reckon it's horrific tax and economy :pac:

You didn't specifically say it, saying that the awful (or horrific) economy and tax is " Worth it though." would suggest it though.

Or would you like to clarify your thoughts on the 2.2 now for us :)

Nothing like a good memory.

If you're going to be smart about it with your ''nothing like a good memory'' then at least read the posts properly and not just pick and choose what you wish to post.

The 2.2 is the pick of the bunch out of the petrol engines. They are nowhere near as good as the old ones and don't try and argue that. The 1.8 is just gutless and the 3.2 is really sh1t. Therefore the 2.2 is a reasonable mix of power with reasonable tax, and general running costs relative to the others.

The three engines are disappointments after the previous engines that went before them. Especially the 1.8 and 3.2. You have probably never been in either so your comment is entirely irrelevant.

There's no way in hell could you go for a diesel engine in the Spider as it just doesn't suit it and with the insane tax and even worse fuel economy that comes with the 3.2, the 2.2 is the ''pick of the bunch'', you understand?

Your comment about me not being a petrolhead is just plain silly and petty and you know it. It is horrific tax and economy to me anyway. Maybe fuel and tax bills aren't so much of an issue to yourself though. :)

Saying ''worth it though'' meant that the car as whole was worth it, not just the engine. The whole package of the looks interior and surprising comfort make it ''worth it''. Geddit?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 1.8, 2.2 and 3.2 engine though..:pac:

@mods - Sorry for taking this a little off-topic. Any further mention on this topic will be brought to PM. :)

..... You needn't mind pm ing me, I didn't pick and choose anything, the full quotes are linked to where your inconsistent and contradictory views are detailed. Do you understand that? Have a read of your own posts :pac: best of a bad lot becomes the pick of the bunch :rolleyes: geddit ;)
    In your latest babbling you describe the 2.2 tax as horrific even though it was reasonable earlier in the same post, unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe ye could email or text each other. or become friends on facebook?

either way, the bickering going on here isn't welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

James and 166man, for heavens sake, your both nice chaps, regular posters on here and sensible men but you two are clearly never going to see eye to eye, would you's not save each other the grief and leave it so.

Just "agree to differ" as it were.

no offence to either of you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe ye could email or text each other. or become friends on facebook?

either way, the bickering going on here isn't welcome.

Can't you see, I made a point about the fuel economy of an engine which I have vastly more experience of than RJ, yet he reckons he knows the fuel economy of our car better than I do, I'm merely standing my ground when he brings family into things really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement