Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

just want to ask a very quick question all.

just opened my car door (probably a bit too fast) and as it opened wide I heard a bit of a click and something popped out of a hole on the slide bar for the door.

it's a small rivet maybe ? have in the hole and It seems to hard for me to hit back in.

any advice of what caused it and how would the repair go ?

thanks all

edit: actually just got it in but I don't think I can fully trust it ? any recommendations to how it sho old be secured or anything ?

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

just opened my car door (probably a bit too fast) and as it opened wide I heard a bit of a click and something popped out of a hole on the slide bar for the door.

it's a small rivet maybe ? have in the hole and It seems to hard for me to hit back in.

thanks all

edit: actually just got it in but I don't think I can fully trust it ? any recommendations to how it sho old be secured or anything ?

thanks again

Checkstrap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's called a check strap. Be very wary as if you close the door and the strap bends, you could end up with a dent on your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

dgt wrote: »

thanks all

thanks again

Checkstrap?

sorry I don't know what that is or if that's what it's called. on the mobile so can't post a picture.

the door slides on the metal bar when opening sand closing. flat kinda thick bar and at the end it's screwed or using a bolt to the car but at the joint or hinge part there is a rivet of somekind holding the bar onto the joint to the car.

hopefully that makes sense.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's called a check strap. Be very wary as if you close the door and the strap bends, you could end up with a dent on your door.

ok.

no dents so far.

I did get the rivet back into the way it was before.

is this an easy fix or do I need to do anything now that it's all back. or should it be secured into place in some way ?

• Advertisement

Checkstrap so :)

Some cars you can get them to buy, just the job of changing them, a door off and trim off job.

Is the pin attached to the door seem come loose or is it the strap itself?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Very nearly removed my balls today with a drill and an 80mm holesaw :eek:

Was drilling a sheet of 2mm steel and the drill jumped and caught the inner thigh of my jeans.. The jeans were torn but I didnt cut myself at all somehow..

Had a good grip on the drill and was paying attention but its easy get caught out by a big holesaw in a powerful hitli drill..

Anyway back to work with a bit more caution.. :pac:

Checkstrap so :)

Some cars you can get them to buy, just the job of changing them, a door off and trim off job.

Is the pin attached to the door seem come loose or is it the strap itself?

everything bolted to the car is fine.

its just the pin that goes into the hole to attach the joint to the car and bar to door.

what's screwed to the car is fine and what's screwed to the door is fine.

just this part in the middle. just a pin dropping into the hole but I'm unsure if it's secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

conzy wrote: »

Was drilling a sheet of 2mm steel and the drill jumped and caught the inner thigh of my jeans.. The jeans were torn but I didnt cut myself at all somehow..

Had a good grip on the drill and was paying attention but its easy get caught out by a big holesaw in a powerful hitli drill..

Anyway back to work with a bit more caution.. :pac:

You need balls before you can remove them :P

What ape-acting are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fiona wrote: »
    The e30 is going into storage for the winter at the end of October when the tax is out. Looking at an Avensis down here in Bandon this afternoon.

Its boring as hell but its got tax nct and is a good price and appears to be reasonably clean.

A 1.6 will rev like fook on a motorway journey and drink fuel. Can't believe I'm saying this but you would be better off with a daysul for your jockey rides. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

scaled.php?server=441&filename=screenshot20100721at105.png&res=landing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

sheet metal? must be....

Cars-8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

conzy wrote: »

You should see my thumb after a holesaw jumped straight across that a good while ago.

Holesaw are consumed with caution and best in a drill fixed mounted in a stand. Can be got in Lidl for cheap.

/M

The e30 is going into storage for the winter at the end of October when the tax is out. Looking at an Avensis down here in Bandon this afternoon.

Its boring as hell but its got tax nct and is a good price and appears to be reasonably clean.

You'd be better off with a boxy starlet or something.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A 1.6 will rev like fook on a motorway journey and drink fuel. Can't believe I'm saying this but you would be better off with a daysul for your jockey rides. :pac:

Yeah diesel would be better but they are also mostly out of my budget. I did see a Pug 406 diesel within my budget but its still same tax i am paying now i really want to try and save some money on running costs.

With a bag of muck car i wouldn't even be bothered to try and speed in it would be lucky to get over 3000 revs so i think with sensible driving i should be ok with petrol. Plus dark winter nights i find myself naturally driving a lot slower anyway out of safety.

Anyway the Avensis was grand but bad rust on the roof back and front where the windows meet the body. It was covered up with black tape. Just totally turned me off.
    Body work was in need of repair nothing i couldn't have done myself but despite the car recently passing the nct one of the back tyres was bald another thing that just made me walk away.

The search goes on have a 1.4 Bora to look at in Dublin this week and a 1.3 Corrolla in Cork next weekend.

The search goes on have a 1.4 Bora to look at in Dublin this week and a 1.3 Corrolla in Cork next weekend.

The corolla would be a far better car if any way minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

just get a mk2 punto, mine was very economical on motorway spins

Marlow wrote: »
    You'd be better off with a boxy starlet or something.

/M

I found one but no tax or nct.

There are some 93 starlets as well i have on the list two. Would prefer something bigger to be honest. Seat cordobas horrific looking but cheap.

The corolla would be a far better car if any way minded

Yeah it looks clean. Found a Carina as well but its wine and i detest wine but if its clean i may have to start liking that colour and fast!

Dunno, why you're looking at the likes of Avensis etc.

I can see the point of cheap tax for a winter runabout, not that your E30 is particularly tax expensive. Sure, but in regards to parts, an E46 or E36 316 or 318 would be cheaper for parts than the Toyota.

Just ask Falcon, what sort of money his da' forked out for spareparts on his Avensis estate with issues that were neither here nor there. The 525tds Falcon has is spareparts bargain basement compared to that.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

A 1.8T Quattro TT is a cheap (as in 3k - 4k, so not pennies but quite cheap) but more so incredibly effective Winter backup car. Cheap tax too.

Perhaps a bit of a petrolhead idea of a winter runabout, but the value in the context of winter driving is simply untouchable. I dont see the point of a Micra etc as a Winter car, a second $hit box in general maybe but it has no attributes at all that make it a good winter car. And given Irelands love affair with bottom spec, poverty edition cars with tiny engines you can bet the Micra and its ilk are over priced for what they deliver.
    I bet TTs even have heated seats.. :cool:

I suspect there are many other 1.8T engined quattro/4motion yokes hiding on Donedeal on the cheap too.

PS: If you only drive the Winter car for like 3mths, the engine size (or MPG to a lesser degree) is not a factor at all is it? You only tax it when in use and its usage is limited.
    PPS: A seriously chuckable car in the snow:

Matt Simis wrote: »
    A 1.8T Quattro TT is a cheap (as in 3k - 4k, so not pennies but quite cheap) but more so incredibly effective Winter backup car. Cheap tax too.

'99 Audi TT 1.8 Quattro: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3699881
    2700 EUR.

Now sure if that's N/A or a 1.8T, but that is a nice winter runabout.

I bought my Audi 200 Quattro for half of that, but it's more expensive on tax.

Another one for 2999 in Dub: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3908336

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

If your looking for fun.

1 acre of land and this... http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/3882566 There great fun. :)

Thats what my 12yr old son rides, if you wanna have fun, buy a decent bike:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

pred racer wrote: »
    Thats what my 12yr old son rides, if you wanna have fun, buy a decent bike:p

I'm actually want a road motor bike atm, But I don't even have a bike licence. :(

I'm actually want a road motor bike atm, But I don't even have a bike licence. :(

If you want to have fun in a field..........
    This is what mine looked like before modification

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/3756775

I dont have a bike licence either, ex wife would never let me (she was probably right, as my thought process is normally fcuk it im going for it, whats the worst that could happen:rolleyes:)

I do have a motocross racing licence though!

If you want to have fun in a field..........
    This is what mine looked like before modification

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/3756775

I dont have a bike licence either, ex wife would never let me (she was probably right, as my thought process is normally fcuk it im going for it, whats the worst that could happen:rolleyes:)

I do have a motocross racing licence though!

Haahaha cool, what did it look like after modification? :eek:

Motocross racing licence? How does that work? As in have you to take lessons?

Haahaha cool, what did it look like after modification? :eek:

Motocross racing licence? How does that work? As in have you to take lessons?

Ill be servicing it on tue, ill take a couple of photos for you:D

You just need to take a medical, and pay up!
    You need to be led around each track for one lap, and must do 3 laps practice before you can race, after that its up to you.

Btw the link you posted earlier is the bike 12-16yr olds race!

Yeah it looks clean. Found a Carina as well but its wine and i detest wine but if its clean i may have to start liking that colour and fast!

How much do you want to spend ? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

/shudder, not the Bora, if it's anything like the old 1.4 Octavias were you'll abandon it after you experience it on the first steep hill you encounter.

• Advertisement

Ill be servicing it on tue, ill take a couple of photos for you:D

You just need to take a medical, and pay up!
    You need to be led around each track for one lap, and must do 3 laps practice before you can race, after that its up to you.

Btw the link you posted earlier is the bike 12-16yr olds race!

I look forward to seeing it. :)

Where do you apply? My dad wants me to take up a hobby. :D

I sorta knew that, my friend had one. he bough it second hand off a boy, that wanted a ps2 so swapped him. My friend just abused it, but it kept going. :D one day, he rolled it and the back axle broke, he welded it up and sold it back to the first owner for the price he paid for it new. :pac:

A 1.8T Quattro TT is a cheap (as in 3k - 4k, so not pennies but quite cheap) but more so incredibly effective Winter backup car. Cheap tax too.................
    '99 Audi TT 1.8 Quattro: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3699881
    2700 EUR.

Now sure if that's N/A or a 1.8T, but that is a nice winter runabout................
    Another one for 2999 in Dub: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3908336

/M

Can't see them being remotely along the lines of what Fiona is considering tbh.

But anyway surely there were no NASP TT quattro available? Or even a NASP TT full stop?

I look forward to seeing it. :)

Where do you apply? My dad wants me to take up a hobby. :D

I sorta knew that, my friend had one. he bough it second hand off a boy, that wanted a ps2 so swapped him. My friend just abused it, but it kept going. :D one day, he rolled it and the back axle broke, he welded it up and sold it back to the first owner for the price he paid for it new. :pac:

http://www.motorcycling-ireland.com/
    Its the cheapest form of motor racing I know (if you enter a 'standard' class)
    And racing is alot safer than pissing round a field, unfortunatly the one time i got seriously injured it was a practice session, so no ambulance:rolleyes:

RoverJames wrote: »
    But anyway surely there were no NASP TT quattro available? Or even a NASP TT full stop?
    Nope there wasnt, but why would you want one!? The 1.8T is a peach, the 1.8NA is a dog of an engine. And turbos love cold air.. this story writes itself!

EDIT: This isnt quite correct as I phrased it... but I spotted it before any TT fanboys..!

Nope there wasnt, but why would you want one!?...........

I wouldn't want one :)
    Marlow mentioned he wasn't sure if it was NASP or T so I was just wondering were there any NASP TTs despite being pretty sure there wasn't.

Dunno, why you're looking at the likes of Avensis etc.

I can see the point of cheap tax for a winter runabout, not that your E30 is particularly tax expensive. Sure, but in regards to parts, an E46 or E36 316 or 318 would be cheaper for parts than the Toyota.

It's quite simple, I love my E30 and I want to keep her for many years to come so she has to come off the road for the winter, plus the miles (kms) that I am doing every 3 weekends out of the month are just not great (650/700 per weekend)

I have a chance now to garage her and to go on trade insurance so I am going to buy a second banger to get me from A to B (well actually D to C :D )

I don't want to buy another BMW, I want to buy something horrible that I will never be emotionally attached to so if somebody keys it I won't care, if somebody crashes into me I will pay them for it and if my wheels get kerbed I will laugh instead of cry :pac:
    How much do you want to spend ? :)

My budget is €700 max.
    Stheno wrote: »
    /shudder, not the Bora, if it's anything like the old 1.4 Octavias were you'll abandon it after you experience it on the first steep hill you encounter.

Oh really? Never driven one before although reconsidering viewing the one I had picked out, super clean appears to be for sale by a small garage but the nct is out, my father is in the trade and he says he would be wary of a car in a garage being sold without an nct so will look at it with caution.
    Can't see them being remotely along the lines of what Fiona is considering tbh.

Oh I would love one if money was no object!!!!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't want one :)
    Marlow mentioned he wasn't sure if it was NASP or T so I was just wondering were there any NASP TTs despite being pretty sure there wasn't.

Ah right. There was no 1.8 NA but there was the 3.2 NA which would be a lot of fun outside of Ireland (MPG is crappy and Tax like over double the 1.8T). It also had a unique body kit (and engine from R32, Phaeton, Touareg, RSI Beetle):

My budget is €700 max.

You need to follow the bangernomics thread so. Lots of other interesting stuff there, that you don't need to be attached to.

Volvo's are cheap. Both parts and purchase wise. How about a 1.8 S40 or something like that ?

/M

http://www.motorcycling-ireland.com/
    Its the cheapest form of motor racing I know (if you enter a 'standard' class)
    And racing is alot safer than pissing round a field, unfortunatly the one time i got seriously injured it was a practice session, so no ambulance:rolleyes:

Cheers for that. :)

.............. I want to buy something horrible that I will never be emotionally attached to so if somebody keys it I won't care, if somebody crashes into me I will pay them for it and if my wheels get kerbed I will laugh instead of cry :pac:

My budget is €700 max..............!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3913978

View2-14310680.jpeg

".............1.3, NCT 18/6/13, TAX 9/12, 3 owners, new oil and filter, new alternator belt, sunroof, electric windows and mirrors, central locking, CD player.

Very economical, never gave any trouble.

Price: € 700............."

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3797949
    Volvo 440 1.6
    Nct until end 02/13
    475 lids.

And this is a Volvo from the pre-Ford era. Fairly bulletproof. Comfy, too.

/M

• Advertisement

You need to follow the bangernomics thread so. Lots of other interesting stuff there, that you don't need to be attached to.

Volvo's are cheap. Both parts and purchase wise. How about a 1.8 S40 or something like that ?

/M

Never looked at Volvo's to be honest :o but yes I will start following that thread.

Here is what I was planning to view:

Looks bad on outside, would need a bit of tlc to get her looking decent not it's not impossible

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3926051

Looks imac but failed nct on some stuff, would need to price how much it would cost to get fixed before viewing, then if not too bad and was rust ish free I would consider haggling with them

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3925785

Seems to be clean, this is my no 1 choice at the moment, pure farmers wife car :P:P:P:P:P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3876516

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Never looked at Volvo's to be honest :o but yes I will start following that thread.

Here is what I was planning to view:

Looks bad on outside, would need a bit of tlc to get her looking decent not it's not impossible

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3926051

Looks imac but failed nct on some stuff, would need to price how much it would cost to get fixed before viewing, then if not too bad and was rust ish free I would consider haggling with them

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3925785

Seems to be clean, this is my no 1 choice at the moment, pure farmers wife car :P:P:P:P:P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3876516

Follow bangernomics, I reckon you'd get a lot more car for your money there than any of the ones you quoted?

Follow bangernomics, I reckon you'd get a lot more car for your money there than any of the ones you quoted?

Aye. Exactly that. And Toyota is far too expensive in spareparts, if things break.

Much more interesting things out there, too.

/M

I feel Santa I have a list of cars to check out! :D

Might be best to source out a daycent D-Turbo for those long trips on weekends....

Well sure always room for haggling, I would never expect to pay the price quoted??
    Aye. Exactly that. And Toyota is far too expensive in spareparts, if things break.

/M

Are they really that expensive? I thought they would be easy enough to service.
    Might be best to source out a daycent D-Turbo for those long trips on weekends....

Would be better but I really want the cheapest thing to run in terms of fuel and tax. Diesel all mainly out of my budget, only found one a Pug 406 what are they like?

Are they really that expensive? I thought they would be easy enough to service.

Consumables are ok. Other spareparts are more expensive than BMW in my experience.

/M

Would be better but I really want the cheapest thing to run in terms of fuel and tax. Diesel all mainly out of my budget, only found one a Pug 406 what are they like?

Jaypers, you aren't too familiar with dgt are you :D

He's a massive Pug fan!

I'm an alfa fan, but I've had several colleagues with Pug diesels in the past, and they found them fine, they were all in consulting and sales and put massive mileage on the beasties, and generally had very few problems.

At your budget one that's been well looked after will be a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Consumables are ok. Other spareparts are more expensive than BMW in my experience.

/M

Parts for the Mazda were more expensive than the BM too! I saw a list of the most expensive parts in (I think) Europe, Mazda and other Japanese marques were higher up the list than "premium" brands like BMW, Audi etc.

Parts for the Mazda were more expensive than the BM too! I saw a list of the most expensive parts in (I think) Europe, Mazda and other Japanese marques were higher up the list than "premium" brands like BMW, Audi etc.

There was some survey done recently about how reliable cars were based on days per year in for repairs, BMW were top of the list of the worst, something like 3.5

Must hunt out the link, edit, I have it was for 4-8 year old cars they were worst

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2186477/Top-reliable-reliable-cars.html

/****e, just remembered MM bought a BM!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement