Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The sig and username should give the Fiat fanboi image not Peugeot! :pac:

406 is a seriously comfy car and after the last 2 months it has been way cheaper to fill it up and easier on fuel than my old petrol Bravo van, which was a 1.2 :eek:

Don't mind the tax you'll pull it back on fuel savings ;)

Forgot, cheap to service too :) oil filter a fiver and fuel filter 2.50 as an example!

In other news, i have a head cold :( and am trying to cure it befre tomorroww :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    Forgot, cheap to service too :) oil filter a fiver and fuel filter 2.50 as an example!

In other news, i have a head cold :( and am trying to cure it befre tomorroww :)

lump of vicks vaporub in a bowl of hot water should help!

Fiona wrote: »
    ............ Diesel all mainly out of my budget, only found one a Pug 406 what are they like?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3934855

View2-14407486.jpeg

A claimed 121k miles and 6 months NCT on it, asking €400 :)

I sold my Prelude to a lad about an hour from Cork City, dropped it out to him as part of the T&Cs of the sale ( :pac: ) and he dropped me back in one of them, grand comft little buses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RoverJames wrote: »

View2-14407486.jpeg

I sold my Prelude to a lad about an hour from Cork City, dropped it out to him as part of the T&Cs of the sale ( :pac: ) and he dropped me back in one of them, grand comft little buses.

That looks decent alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

View2-14407486.jpeg

Stheno wrote: »
    That looks decent alright!

It's ugly as hell................. i'll take it :D

It's ugly as hell................. i'll take it :D

Did ya see the state of the Starlet you are considering :pac:

One more but 'tis over budget............

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3887922

View2?id=14189278

......... asking €850.

Tax and Insurance disc are expired in 2011, maybe old pics ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Fiona - Any VW Bora with an asking price of circa €700 will almost certainly be in need of work or be total scrap altogether. That being said there are plenty of bargains out there. I'm sure dgt can help you find a D-Turbo for your budget somehow. :D

I'd look at something like this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3897473

You'll appreciate the bigger car on longer journeys and it shouldn't be too bad on petrol I'd imagine. Decent NCT with it and pictures look clean

View2-14234002.jpeg

166man wrote: »
    Fiona - Any VW Bora with an asking price of circa €700 will almost certainly be in need of work or be total scrap altogether. That being said there are plenty of bargains out there. I'm sure dgt can help you find a D-Turbo for your budget somehow. :D

I'd look at something like this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3897473

You'll appreciate the bigger car on longer journeys and it shouldn't be too bad on petrol I'd imagine. Decent NCT with it and pictures look clean

View2-14234002.jpeg
    I test drove one of those before I got the gtv as the Oh was trying to persuade me to get a "sensible" car.

It smelled of something, mould, dog, damp, dunno what.

However it was a decent enough drive, i took it on one of my "I need to chill routes" and the bloke I was with later told someone I drove like a rally driver.

It handled well, was comfortable, didn't gripe at a bit of speed, and was overall ok, apart from the smell and it being white (i hate white cars)

Good suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This might float your boat Fiona actually

It's got 15 months NCT, diesel, 4 good tyres and relatively low miles. Could be a runner. After winter sell it with 10 months NCT and get back what you paid. Simples

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3467461

View2-12190887.jpeg

@Stheno - Cheers :)

Thanks for the suggestions people! I never knew anything about Mazda so never considered them to be honest!

I don't know much about Renault either but my sister has had her Clio for years with no issues so they must be ok!

This car shopping is stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Did ya see the state of the Starlet you are considering :pac:

One more but 'tis over budget............

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3887922

View2?id=14189278

......... asking €850.

Tax and Insurance disc are expired in 2011, maybe old pics ???

I wouldnt mind buying this myself!

Edit: there is only one absolute no no when buying these, if there is a leak from the power steering pipe, run!

pred racer wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind buying this myself!

Oiiii hands off!!

Lads my head is seriously melted with looking at cars :(
    My brother keeps harping on about his 1.3 Starlet it's a 1999 I think.

He says that it runs on thin air and with the cheap tax that I would be crazy not to buy one. I am not allergic to them just trying to imagine what the drive to Cork would be like on a motorway in the rain and crosswinds, don't fancy being blown away.

I am going to try and take it for a spin this week and see what it is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Oiiii hands off!!

Lads my head is seriously melted with looking at cars :(
    My brother keeps harping on about his 1.3 Starlet it's a 1999 I think.

He says that it runs on thin air and with the cheap tax that I would be crazy not to buy one. I am not allergic to them just trying to imagine what the drive to Cork would be like on a motorway in the rain and crosswinds, don't fancy being blown away.

I am going to try and take it for a spin this week and see what it is like.

They are good little cars! Just curious, but is ur bloke not able to drive? Why do you have to go to cork all the time?

pred racer wrote: »
    Just curious, but is ur bloke not able to drive? Why do you have to go to cork all the time?

Hahah :):):)

Yeah is is able to drive and he does come up here but he is self employed so sometimes has to get jobs finished on Saturday mornings so the work has to come first I am afraid no money no fun :(

It doesn't bother me to be honest I love driving and I love travelling and it makes me feel like I did something with my weekend if that makes sense :o

Hummmmm ok Toyota Starlet, I will have serious egg on my face if I buy one of these I give my brother awful abuse over his!!!!

• Advertisement

... You won't see over 35mpg out of that 626 at motorway speeds. Wouldn't fancy regular 160 plus mile spins in a starlet either tbh, regardless of mpg, starlets are rarely as cheap as they should be too.

.Wouldn't fancy regular 160 plus mile spins in a starlet either tbh, regardless of mpg, starlets are rarely as cheap as they should be too.

Yup that's my fear i know what my e30 is like on a windy motorway so can only imagine what a starlet that would be like!

Wouldn't fancy regular 160 plus mile spins in a starlet either tbh,

Wouldn't fancy that either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good news everybody!!!

I got a pay cut today and dropped to work around 20h a week. So my weekly income got slashed more then 50%. At this stage I doubt I will be in meet this week and my October track day is pretty much canceled.

Happy days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good news everybody!!!

I got a pay cut today and dropped to work around 20h a week. So my weekly income got slashed more then 50%. At this stage I doubt I will be in meet this week and my October track day is pretty much canceled.

Happy days...

Sorry to hear it man! :(

• Advertisement

Good news everybody!!!

Happy days...

That sucks :( sorry to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Good news everybody!!!

Happy days...

I'm very sorry to hear that as well SH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

.Wouldn't fancy regular 160 plus mile spins in a starlet either tbh, regardless of mpg, starlets are rarely as cheap as they should be too.

Yup that's my fear i know what my e30 is like on a windy motorway so can only imagine what a starlet that would be like!

Get a diesel. Please get a diesel. Pleeeeeeease! :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Good news everybody!!!

Happy days...

You should get an ad up on donedeal and the likes offering birthday cakes etc etc, try make a few quid from home with your new found time. You could be the next Jamie Oliver :D

There are jobs out there too. I got offered one last week but it'd take me out of my car and onto a bus which I am a bit wary of. Sorry for your news though SH :-), I hope things pick up for you soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

That sucks SH, seems abit extreme from your employer tbh

MugMugs wrote: »
    There are jobs out there too. I got offered one last week but it'd take me out of my car and onto a bus which I am a bit wary of.

The bus really isn't that bad

That sucks :( sorry to hear it.

+ 1 :(
    The only way to look at is that it may well lead you to another job or opportunity that you might well be very happy with. I know its not close to you but there's a Mediterranean restauraunt a door or two down from cork coffee roasters on mccurtain street looking for a full time chef IIRC.
    Apologies for the cool smiley, was inadvertent and can't edit it out.

There are jobs out there too. I got offered one last week but it'd take me out of my car and onto a bus which I am a bit wary of.

The bus really isn't that bad

I know just the lack of control and having to join the rat race has me a bit wary. Could shift the granddaddy machine though and actually get a real car though :-D

Gary ITR wrote: »
    You should get an ad up on donedeal and the likes offering birthday cakes etc etc, try make a few quid from home with your new found time. You could be the next Jamie Oliver :D

To be honest, I'll try to find some extra part time job. Still need to see what will they say on this meeting. Maybe they will decide to close the whole place all together.
    If that will happen, then I doubt I will be back to chefing. One of the most unthankful jobs, for very small money, humanity will ever knew. All those master chef programs always put a smile on my face. How much bull**** on it.

I might be a bit too upset right now. Sneaky **** like that always worked in a huge way on my tits... Now I just would like to put some nice violent game on pc, where I shoot people in a face and lots of guts and blood spills on a screen. Always calms me down and cheers me up a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Go smartbomb 4-5 ice miners in an Armageddon in highsec, always made me feel better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Sorry to hear that ShadowHearth......hopefully something will work out for you. Its not nice wondering what'll happen, I'm in the same boat too....not sure how long the company I work for can keep going and it is a constant worry. Here 14 and a half years but this year has been the worst yet and I don't see it getting better anytime soon tbh.

Cheers for support lads. The only good thing in all this:

I am really happy that 2 times house deals felt through, when I tried to buy a house last year. Had mortgage and all approved.

And I got a wonderfull misses shadowhearth, who already cheered me up, and said not to worry, whatever it is, we will manage.
    These 2 Feckers are happy to see me too today.

5640BC5D-D34F-468E-82A4-35C08812BD21-14886-000022DA3347B5A4.jpg

So not all that bad.

Get a diesel. Please get a diesel. Pleeeeeeease! :-P

Eh no!

Found a very cool little car on the internet just this morning my Dad going to view it for me this week.

If its as good as it looks on paper then i have a nice little old school minter!

Eh no!

Found a very cool little car on the internet just this morning my Dad going to view it for me this week.

If its as good as it looks on paper then i have a nice little old school minter!

A boxy starlet?

A boxy starlet?

Nope same car make but different model, total car of my childhood I just have to have it, nothing special at all but it just puts a smile on my face :)

Nope same car make but different model, total car of my childhood I just have to have it, nothing special at all but it just puts a smile on my face :)

So its the newer shape of starlet. Or is it a different model all together.

I know just the lack of control and having to join the rat race has me a bit wary.

Headphones, sharp elbows, and express busses will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

BusWankers.gif

• Advertisement

So its the newer shape of starlet. Or is it a different model all together.

Different model! I am not saying anymore don't want to get too excited about it in case turns out to be a dinger!!

Different model! I am not saying anymore don't want to get too excited about it in case turns out to be a dinger!!

..... A dinger is a good thing imo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

..... A dinger is a good thing imo :pac:

I thought dinger was a bad thing, maybe I am thinking of minger :o:D:D

Gary ITR wrote: »
    No nct I wouldn't take the risk but I always did love those cars the dash was so cool :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Sorry to hear about your predicament SH :( I know how you feel but my pay wasn't cut in my last job, the job was cut. I had planned on going back to college and all but my current job opened up and I took it.

Silver lining and all that but you still have the job at least and as was mentioned already, this is a great chance to start your own business. There's a few people where I live baking cakes for birthdays etc. and they are very busy.

All is not, nor ever will be lost ;)

• Advertisement

No nct I wouldn't take the risk but I always did love those cars the dash was so cool :o

Only if it was a.... DGT :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Edit: While were on the subject of car hunting..... Go onnnnn :D

Take a gamble, a rather cheap fix for the NCT :)

Only if it was a.... DGT :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Edit: While were on the subject of car hunting..... Go onnnnn :D

Take a gamble, a rather cheap fix for the NCT :)

I think the Ohs dad is selling a 00 bravo (five door) he's had it from new far as I know, the thing has about 40k miles on it!

I think the Ohs dad is selling a 00 bravo (five door) he's had it from new far as I know, the thing has about 40k miles on it!

Brava ;)

It'd need a timing belt... That's about it really! :D

Brava ;)

It'd need a timing belt... That's about it really! :D

Think he did that tbh, I know he had to do the head gasket.

Think he did that tbh, I know he had to do the head gasket.

At 40k? Was the coolant kept changed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement