Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    At 40k? Was the coolant kept changed?

No idea, he didn't use it very much for months on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You don't look like you're going to starve to death any time soon SH! :D:D:D
    5640BC5D-D34F-468E-82A4-35C08812BD21-14886-000022DA3347B5A4.jpg

So not all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I don't think he'll eat the dogs John, no matter how hungry he gets :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You don't look like you're going to starve to death any time soon SH! :D:D:D

Never trust a skinny cook!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

He'll have to loose some weight before he can bend over to reach them anyhow! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Doesn't look like there'd be much eating in those two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Take a gamble, a rather cheap fix for the NCT :)

Nah not interested in taking anything that needs to be fixed asap too much hassle!

If this car turns out to be good then I will be able to get in and drive away and all I will have to worry about will be cleaning it.

Oh new car to clean exciting :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

There is people being taken on in dunnes Douglas court where I work SH, not ideal but it's not bad for a stopgap. Got two of my relatives/friends in there the last month. They'll be taking on a good few for Christmas as well of course.

There is people being taken on in dunnes Douglas court where I work SH, not ideal but it's not bad for a stopgap. Got two of my relatives/friends in there the last month. They'll be taking on a good few for Christmas as well of course.

I can see it now - he'll be packing shelves and asking customers (in my finest Lithuanian accent) - hey, do you have scooby? you have spoiler or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I can see it now - he'll be packing shelves and asking customers (in my finest Lithuanian accent) - hey, do you have scooby? you have spoiler or not?

He'll be going around with a lump hammer lowering all the trolley handles so they don't resemble spoilers more like! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

LOL. :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Dont be silly, no-one would have a scooby without a spoiler:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

pred racer wrote: »
    Dont be silly, no-one would have a scooby without a spoiler:D

Sure. The Garda quoted for Scoobies. WRX Sti's at that. And when they asked Subaru to remove the spoiler to save some money, Subaru refused to sell them the cars, as they would be undrivable at speed without.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will just open my own "kissing company" or I will open " I will despoiler that biitch for ya, lad! Quality mark of cork, lad!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone recommend me a decent place to get a service done in Dublin 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nissan Doc would be my recommendation regardless of where you are in Dublin. I limped my car across the city to get it to him.

Where is he based? Probably not worth going too far for your standard oil change and sparkplugs job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Quick question for Honda fans here........

Is this a Vtec Engine....
    Its a 2003 5Door Hrv 1.6 4x4......now I read up that vtec was introduced to all engines 02/03 onwards but is it possible that this is the 2002 model and missed out on the Vtec.
    One more thing what is so special about the Vtec?

slika-bigger-16336900.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Marlow wrote: »
    Sure. The Garda quoted for Scoobies. WRX Sti's at that. And when they asked Subaru to remove the spoiler to save some money, Subaru refused to sell them the cars, as they would be undrivable at speed without.

/M

I prefer them without the spoiler myself (and I generally dont like spoilers). However what is wrong with the shape that it needs a spoiler for "high speed"? Consider the B5 Audi S4 is a Twin Turbo with a higher top speed (comparing the gentlemans agreements in both domestic markets) and most definitely doesnt need (or want) a spoiler..

If that spoiler generates that much drag thats it became a traction requirement it doesnt speak well about Subaru's traction and weight distribution. It must murder MPG too.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I prefer them without the spoiler myself (and I generally dont like spoilers). However what is wrong with the shape that it needs a spoiler for "high speed"? Consider the B5 Audi S4 is a Twin Turbo with a higher top speed (comparing the gentlemans agreements in both domestic markets) and most definitely doesnt need (or want) a spoiler..

If that spoiler generates that much drag thats it became a traction requirement it doesnt speak well about Subaru's traction and weight distribution. It must murder MPG too.

Fvck off with your logic, we're trying to annoy the man :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Completely different cars to be fair.
    The STI is a rough and ready sports car where as the S4 is a luxury car with power to spare.
    The B5 ways a good 300kg or so more so it's understandable for the STI to move around more at speed.

German companies (bar Porsche) seem to hate the thought of rear wings too so I'd say that plays a bit more into why the S4 or M3 don't have them.

The M3 often comes with a lip spoiler which I really liked on the E46 but I haven't really seen them on the E92.

The M3 often comes with a lip spoiler which I really liked on the E46 but I haven't really seen them on the E92.

Yeah that's true, it has nothing on the Jap' spoilers though.
    Isn't there a special edition E92 with huge carbon spoiler?
    As far as I can remember, the "official" colour for it is orange.

CianRyan wrote: »

I think that's the M3 GTS, black and orange colour with black wheels.

Calm down Cryogen, we're steadily footed in reality here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The E92 as far as I can see has a much more subtle version of the CSL lip built into the stock boot in terms of curve, whereas the standard e46 boot was fairly square so you've 3 main ones for the e46... the spoiler that's on alans, the lip spoiler, and CSL boot. You're right though, much more common to see either standard or CSL boot on an e92

M3 GTS... 4.4-litre V8

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Must pop in and annoy ya :D

• Advertisement

The STI is a rough and ready sports car where as the S4 is a luxury car with power to spare.
    The B5 ways a good 300kg or so more so it's understandable for the STI to move around more at speed.

German companies (bar Porsche) seem to hate the thought of rear wings too so I'd say that plays a bit more into why the S4 or M3 don't have them.

True on the weight front I guess (maybe, surely the spoiler generates far more than 300kg of downforce?) but the E46 3series Clubsport comes with a factory spoiler (and looks as $hitty as expected):
    30481144009122.jpg

Spoilers are for racecars and cars that arent made right. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Spoilers are kinda going out of fashion now, remember when Hyundai accents and mondeos came with spoilers and no alloys

True on the weight front I guess (maybe, surely the spoiler generates far more than 300kg of downforce?) but the E46 3series Clubsport comes with a factory spoiler (and looks as $hitty as expected):
    30481144009122.jpg

That'd even things up then. :)
    Ugh! That look almost as ugly as an Evo!
    Doesn't suit it one bit but if it's on there BWN must have felt it served a purpose. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.bmw-drivers.de/images/nickpage/30481144009122.jpg

My spoiler looks better though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Funny how it all got so far about spoilers :D.
    I personally just find scooby quite cool looking with no spoiler. Plus I am not a fan of scooby spoilers at all. I don't want to put Sti spoiler on it too, as it's not Sti.
    I know a lot of people are not fans of No spoiler scoobies, but it does look cool in flesh.

I know I am a bit in low mood today and tight on cash, but I'd the weather is good I'll try to wash my scooby on Friday and try make it on Saturday to meet. It's just a few quid, I might skip on few lunches next week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

College students. First year college students. I had the misfortune of being stuck behind some breed of the stupidist idiots you can find in the RCSI car park today. As a college student myself, I know that first years can be a bit loud and a bit silly at times, I pass no remarks. But oh ho ho not this lot...! This kind of lot give the rest of us a bad name :mad:

Just after 18:00 hrs. I know, I'll wait a bit and let the queue die down a bit :)

Approaching the car park, I saw that the queue went out the door. Arse, I thought, it's not normally like this. What's going on.... :confused:

The fella at the top of the queue was panicking as the machine swallowed his card and visa card. These things unfortunately happen and I do sympathise with the gentleman but repeatedly hitting the help button and shouting to the office several times is only going to enrage the staff...

Now, there were several different types of people in the queue: normal people waiting to pay, normal college students and several types of numpty in the queue.

One such group of twats were the loud "yeah were in college now, we don't care" type of boisterous, smelly, obese, pubic bearded loudmouths that were shouting, causing distress and a general nuisance to some in the queue. 3 of them, all huddled around the machine, trying to pay for parking, one says to the other "the f*ckin machine won't read the punch on the card, maybe if I punch it it will under stand what a punch is" and hit the machine a thump. "Huh huh huh f*ckin piece of crap its broke anyway" and they kept hitting it while laughing and bullying their way in front of some suit at the other machine, who didn't look impressed to say the least.

Another variation of the group can only be likened to this meme:
    are-you-annoying-facebook-girl-329588241-may-17-2012-300x200.jpg
    What a charming bunch of stuck up, tangoed wannabees, they had less brain cells combined than I had loose change in my pocket. One of the ladies in the group was laughing, boasting about "hahaha it's only a fiver for students for the day while the rest of this poxy queue has to pay full price tee hee hee hee hee hee..." etc etc etc... (you know the type I'm on about, the type that wears a tasteless, scandalously clad dress out thinking it's sexy yet complains everyone's looking at her on the dancefloor) As they proceeded to the machine, their faces dropped "WHAT ITS 6.50 WE ONLY STARTED AT 9 WHAT A RIP OFF I HATE THIS STUPID PLACE ITS A JOKE....." how I nearly pulled out my hair and used my umbrella as an offensive weapon when I heard that. How thick can you get :(

It's just one of those days, one of those days that brings the worst out in people :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Victor meldrew does college :)

College students. First year college students. I had the misfortune of being stuck behind some breed of the stupidist idiots you can find in the RCSI car park today. As a college student myself, I know that first years can be a bit loud and a bit silly at times, I pass no remarks. But oh ho ho not this lot...! This kind of lot give the rest of us a bad name :mad:

Just after 18:00 hrs. I know, I'll wait a bit and let the queue die down a bit :)

Approaching the car park, I saw that the queue went out the door. Arse, I thought, it's not normally like this. What's going on.... :confused:

The fella at the top of the queue was panicking as the machine swallowed his card and visa card. These things unfortunately happen and I do sympathise with the gentleman but repeatedly hitting the help button and shouting to the office several times is only going to enrage the staff...

Now, there were several different types of people in the queue: normal people waiting to pay, normal college students and several types of numpty in the queue.

One such group of twats were the loud "yeah were in college now, we don't care" type of boisterous, smelly, obese, pubic bearded loudmouths that were shouting, causing distress and a general nuisance to some in the queue. 3 of them, all huddled around the machine, trying to pay for parking, one says to the other "the f*ckin machine won't read the punch on the card, maybe if I punch it it will under stand what a punch is" and hit the machine a thump. "Huh huh huh f*ckin piece of crap its broke anyway" and they kept hitting it while laughing and bullying their way in front of some suit at the other machine, who didn't look impressed to say the least.

Another variation of the group can only be likened to this meme:
    are-you-annoying-facebook-girl-329588241-may-17-2012-300x200.jpg
    What a charming bunch of stuck up, tangoed wannabees, they had less brain cells combined than I had loose change in my pocket. One of the ladies in the group was laughing, boasting about "hahaha it's only a fiver for students for the day while the rest of this poxy queue has to pay full price tee hee hee hee hee hee..." etc etc etc... (you know the type I'm on about, the type that wears a tasteless, scandalously clad dress out thinking it's sexy yet complains everyone's looking at her on the dancefloor) As they proceeded to the machine, their faces dropped "WHAT ITS 6.50 WE ONLY STARTED AT 9 WHAT A RIP OFF I HATE THIS STUPID PLACE ITS A JOKE....." how I nearly pulled out my hair and used my umbrella as an offensive weapon when I heard that. How thick can you get :(

It's just one of those days, one of those days that brings the worst out in people :(

Are these the sort of people who will be our medics of the future :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The rain just adds to the misery :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Back in my day we got the bus or cycled/walked to college...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Stheno wrote: »
    Are these the sort of people who will be our medics of the future :eek:

Nah, there'll be no training posts for them so they'll all feck off to Australia!

dar83 wrote: »

A few kids drove when I went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Bought some carb cleaner today, wanna clean out my air intake and the butterfly valve. Is it ok to leave the carb cleaner dribble down past the butterfly valve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Back in the day I also got the bus :)

Never again, I swore that when I returned the 2nd time I'd drive, no matter what the cost, for peace of mind :pac:

Even parking in Blanch and getting the 39a, you'd have scaldies hanging shapelessly around the withered tart they call a girlfriend actin harrrrrrd, hipsters playing absolute muck through their sh*tty $700 set of Dre Beats knock off headphones that I can hear from the other end of the bus while pretending to read some so called intellectual book which is usually wheres wally or Pingu, alcaholics that would get you drunk from the smell of them and either mould themselves into you as the bus corners or the other ones that ramble on about the Australian - American war they fought in and how to get rich quickly, ignorant not so yummy mummies that use their prams as some sort of bulldozer on everyones ankles.........

Is it any wonder I suffered a mental breakdown one day in college and currently see a counsellor :(

Edit: Right, I'm in me slippers and have had a mug of warm milk. Of to bed for me :D :pac:

Bought some carb cleaner today, wanna clean out my air intake and the butterfly valve. Is it ok to leave the carb cleaner dribble down past the butterfly valve?

Yes, dont worry about it.

• Advertisement

By butterfly valve, do you mean the throttle body? Don't worry about where it goes, be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I cycled to college for 6 years, hail, rain and snow. Hence only learning to drive at 24. In that time I was knocked off my bike, broke me collarbone and had to pay €970 for a Seat Cordoba door, was nearly killed at a major junction and once slid on ice into the back of a Micra. Also had my bike robbed from the college and was once stopped by the Gards at 4.30am cycling home after a night on the sauce for wobbling on side of the road.

As you might imagine, I now enjoy being a in a 1.9 ton car with 10 airbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Driving to college? Feck that! Bike is the job...except on days like today...where its bucketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

fecking dark road and my turning around only to scrape against the wall.

rear passenger wheel arch damaged. yay.

should probably annoy the lads to put that rear view camera in for me !

...or just get better at driving and spatial awareness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm in fecking knots reading this

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/09/19/rally-driver-admits-he-has-no-idea-what-co-driver-is-talking-about/
    Top British rally driver, Mark Fischer, today found himself at the centre of a storm of controversy after confessing that he had absolutely no idea what his long-term co-driver, Gethyn Davis, was talking about during races.

It had been assumed that co-drivers were reading ‘pace notes’, a series of instructions describing how to negotiate the road layout ahead, but Fischer claims the notes are ‘total nonsense’ and that he has simply been humouring his co-driver all these years. ‘It’s just gibberish,’ he said. ‘But the regulations say that there must be two people in the car at all times during the race, and Gethyn was a good mate so I always just took him along for the ride.’

Davis is reported to be furious at Fischer’s statement and maintains that they were equal partners in the team, but Fisher has been quick to dismiss this.

‘Oh, come on,’ he said. ‘I mean, ’50 5-left and stop 2-right half minus braking into K-right 90 maybe and absolute crest 500′. What the hell am I supposed to make of that when I’m flat out over a jump sideways at 90mph?

This is not the first time Fischer has courted controversy over the role of co-drivers. In 2009, after finding himself without a co-driver for the Jyvaskyla Rally in Finland, he kidnapped a homeless man and forcibly strapped him into the passenger seat to ensure that the two-people-in-each-car rule was complied with. The stunt only came to light when onboard footage taken during the race revealed that rather than reading the ‘pace notes’, the Finnish co-driver was in fact screaming the words ‘Oh fúck!’ over and over again, occasionally interspersed with other phrases including, ‘Watch out for that house’ and ‘Slow down, you mad bastard’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

...or just get better at driving and spatial awareness ;)

it was pitch black. couldn't see a thing. but sure it happens

Driving to college? Feck that! Bike is the job...except on days like today...where its bucketing.

Car is always best :D
    I'm in fecking knots reading this

I lolled
    it was pitch black. couldn't see a thing. but sure it happens

Had you no lights on the car?

Off abroad tomorrow until the weekend with work, at least I'll get to escape the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Shadow, sorry to hear about the reduction in salary, but at least you have a job in this climate. I'm sure you'll be able to find something else to supplement it soon enough. Time is a great healer and things always seem worse for the first few days. Chin up :)

Also, you don't have to be an Alfa fan to appreciate this just a car fan or even someone who likes things that look nice, because this thing is a beauty.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3940534

View2-14432846.jpeg

What a fabulous motor...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Nice car no doubt, not worth 5500-6000 after vrt though.

It's a perfect example of why a car with a fairly large but not monsterous engine will be overlooked in Ireland as our taxation system is far too top heavy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement