Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Your filthy Alfa is visible in the advert for the black 08 Passat. MM would beat you with the handle of his DA!

Well spotted :D

And would you look at the gorgeous S4 beside it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

nah, i am telling ya, that damn thing sounds sexy from outside. i did not had a chance to sit in passanger seat, because you are a racist bastard. :pac:

I have to stand up for MM here. He's not racist.......he hates everyone equally! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You can't hear it at all when the windows are up, even with no stereo on but everyone else can hear it and it's embarrassing!

She has her own car so she can layyyv my car alone!

That is one of the petrol head curses. You think it sounds so bad, that people around 5km range can hear it and thinking " look at that idiot, his car is falling apart, what a loser". In reality no one hears or cares. :D

You can't hear it at all when the windows are up, even with no stereo on but everyone else can hear it and it's embarrassing!

like my sticky tappet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

RoverJames wrote: »

Try roaring into town tractor style......

That is one of the petrol head curses. You think it sounds so bad, that people around 5km range can hear it and thinking " look at that idiot, his car is falling apart, what a loser". In reality no one hears or cares. :D

I don't THINK it sounds bad, I KNOW it does....there's a difference!

At least someone empathizes with me :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd rather take on Norris than have to face down RJ tbh!

Can I be in charge of the topless calenders in the jacks?

No topless calenders :D
    I don't THINK it sounds bad, I KNOW it does....there's a difference!

At least someone empathizes with me :D

RJ is just practising for his receptionist role :)

It's fake empathy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Stheno wrote: »

No topless calenders :D

Nudie calendars it is so!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Thats my car allright! I could tell you it was clean when I left home, but it'd be a lie:D

And thats me and my youngest daughter just after getting out of the green punto. Well spotted

Edit: I hope my car didnt catch any reliability problems off that vw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Stuck the offroad suspension in my newly aquired van today.

And while I was at it, also was checking out things like the state of my brakepads. Especially, since the brake pad sensor is bust.
    383532_10151127763838682_186254923_n.jpg
    Now that's impressive. The disc has seperated from the center piece.

Obviously, I'm changing that in the morning. Have to change the ceased caliper and the pads, too. I can't imagine, how on earth the previous owner could drive around with that for ages.

The rear shocks of the van were also dead. And if I say dead, I mean dead dead.

/M

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    Thats my car allright! I could tell you it was clean when I left home, but it'd be a lie:D

And thats me and my youngest daughter just after getting out of the green punto. Well spotted

Edit: I hope my car didnt catch any reliability problems off that vw :)

That looks like one of the reliable ones. Face lift and common rail are good points I'd imagine! Plus from use not so long ago it doesn't leave the place unless it's good to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hiring out a compressor to work one of these bad boys
    Chicago-Pneumatic-CP5000-lg.jpg

Yes, with extended anvil :D:D:D

I don't know what I love using more, the consaw or inch airgun :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    Hiring out a compressor to work one of these bad boys
    Chicago-Pneumatic-CP5000-lg.jpg

Yes, with extended anvil :D:D:D

I don't know what I love using more, the consaw or inch airgun :cool:

Jaysus lads, who let him out :eek:

It's fake empathy :)

I used to work in sales, can turn it on and off :D

I used to work in sales, can turn it on and off :D

i bet it was mostly in OFF position. :D

:D SH, did you read what our new garage is going to do to your car?

.... not when commission was concerned ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Try roaring into town tractor style......

You haven't heard anything until you have heard the suspension on my Alfa. Squeeking like there's no tomorrow. I use the Alfa ''roar'' to drown it out!

That 10 D Passat that George has for sale I really like, it's got a lovely spec on it and looks suitably classy. :cool:

166man wrote: »
    You haven't heard anything until you have heard the suspension on my Alfa. Squeeking like there's no tomorrow. I use the Alfa ''roar''

Or an alfa needing a new belt or variator :)

• Advertisement

You haven't heard anything until you have heard the suspension on my Alfa. Squeeking like there's no tomorrow. I use the Alfa ''roar'' to drown it out!

That 10 D Passat that George has for sale I really like, it's got a lovely spec on it and looks suitably classy. :cool:

Squeaking? High miles on it or age?

With me the colder mornings are eating away at me when I turn the key. Was driving a petrol for a week and it really brought it home...

:D SH, did you read what our new garage is going to do to your car?

i just know what department i will be responsible for :D

i just know what department i will be responsible for :D

You've not seen then?

The staff handbook will be a printout of the Motors Charter ;)

You've not seen then?

seen it qouted. i am in spoiler department. shocker! :)

Belt, Pump and variator all done back in March at 75k miles. Goos to go for another few years now. :)
    Squeaking? High miles on it or age?

With me the colder mornings are eating away at me when I turn the key. Was driving a petrol for a week and it really brought it home...

Yeah quite bad in some places, I haven't a notion what the actual problem with it is. Car drives fine as it is though. 75k miles in 11 years and 36k of them done in the first year. :eek:

• Advertisement

seen it qouted. i am in spoiler department. shocker! :)

We are having a special spoiler department, where we will only add spoilers :D

You volunteered to give us your impreza to practice on :D

We are having a special spoiler department, where we will only add spoilers :D

You volunteered to give us your impreza to practice on :D

Yeah ''volunteered'' alright...

That fella is gonna be pinned down under the height and considerable bulk of some of the loftier members of the garage (including me :D) while the people fix his car that had the terrible tragedy of not having a spoiler fitted. :pac:

Yeah quite bad in some places, I haven't a notion what the actual problem with it is. Car drives fine as it is though. 75k miles in 11 years and 36k of them done in the first year. :eek:

Is it the front suspension making the suspicious squeaking noises?

You have a 166?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Just thinking,
    I could double as junior detailer and alcohol awareness officer! :p

That's barely used! Do not ever throw alfa reliability back at me with that mileage. My cars a tenth of that age and has half the mileage nearly!

But that mileage things can wear and erode. I'd be thinking it's bushings of some sort but I wouldn't know what the usual Alfa items are. Still I'd say that's a keeper at that mileage. Hard to find good clean cars.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know what the usual Alfa items are

Here's a hint.......it's everything!

Here's a hint.......it's everything!

Quiet shiny!

Is it the front suspension making the suspicious squeaking noises?

You have a 166?

It's the front suspension alright. Think it's the bushings not sure though tbh..

I have a 156 and my old man had a 166 but got rid for the 159 Wagon.

scaled.php?server=228&filename=483f.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=835&filename=501be.jpg&res=landing

I actually miss that 166 so much, it was such an unreal car...:(

It's the front suspension alright. Think it's the bushings not sure though tbh..

I have a 156 and my old man had a 166 but got rid for the 159 Wagon.

I actually miss that 166 so much, it was such an unreal car...:(

That 166 is lovely.

Is the 156 shrieking when you turn it sharply?

That 166 is lovely.

Is the 156 shrieking when you turn it sharply?

The 166 is my favourite car of all time. It's one of those cars that doesn't/didn't look wrong from a single angle. Just gorgeous... Never seen another one like it in Ireland anyway.

It's for sale again on donedeal with some horific wheels on it though and 109k miles. That being said, I'm trying to get the funds together to buy it, even at the age of 19 I really really want it. :D

The squeek is only noticeable going over speed bumps...

That's barely used! Do not ever throw alfa reliability back at me with that mileage. My cars a tenth of that age and has half the mileage nearly!

But that mileage things can wear and erode. I'd be thinking it's bushings of some sort but I wouldn't know what the usual Alfa items are. Still I'd say that's a keeper at that mileage. Hard to find good clean cars.

She's well used at this stage tbh. I'm trying to spruce her up but I need help if I'm honest! I'll be keeping it until she dies... hasn't so far touch wood!

She's well used at this stage tbh. I'm trying to spruce her up but I need help if I'm honest! I'll be keeping it until she dies... hasn't so far touch wood!

If it turns out to be the bushes you can't get them seperately for the 156 you've to either get the steering rack reconditioned, buy a replacement, or find a decent one in a scrapyard.

It's one of the pains of alfa 156 ownership :rolleyes:

Might be worth getting it checked out before it gets worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have to be careful with that sort of carry on. My neighbor is a mechanic and drives a 156. The car has never left him down, which is surprising for an Alfa, but he's been talking for a long time now, that he needed to do the belt.

Being a mechanic, his own car always comes the last. So eventually the belt snapped. Now he's got 24 bend valves. At least he can fix it himself.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Have to be careful with that sort of carry on. My neighbor is a mechanic and drives a 156. The car has never left him down, which is surprising for an Alfa, but he's been talking for a long time now, that he needed to do the belt.

Being a mechanic, his own car always comes the last. So eventually the belt snapped. Now he's got 24 bend valves. At least he can fix it himself.

/M

Lovely :eek:, when I first got my current alfa it needed the belt and variator replaced, the amount of comments I got from people in work about how "sick" it sounded had me on the bus till I got it fixed :D

If it turns out to be the bushes you can't get them seperately for the 156 you've to either get the steering rack reconditioned, buy a replacement, or find a decent one in a scrapyard.

It's one of the pains of alfa 156 ownership :rolleyes:

Might be worth getting it checked out before it gets worse?

I really haven't a clue when it comes to the suspension but I'm learning! I'll be getting it checked soon to find out what exactly is up with it!

• Advertisement

I really haven't a clue when it comes to the suspension but I'm learning! I'll be getting it checked soon to find out what exactly is up with it!

Alfa ownership will enlighten you :D

Especially on a 156!

The squeek is only noticeable going over speed bumps...

I'm sure we'll find out what it is someday ;)

The 406 developed a nasty clonk when I put in the new struts, top mounts are gone..... Just haven't had the time to replace yet! :(

If it turns out to be the bushes you can't get them seperately for the 156 you've to either get the steering rack reconditioned, buy a replacement, or find a decent one in a scrapyard............

That's a bit doomsday :P

Most likely upper wishbone bushes if its a squeaking noise, might as well sort both sides if it is, few hundred fitted by a non looney priced mechanic :)
    Even main dealers (in Cork anyway) aren't too expensive for them.

I'd really really really doubt it's the rack :)

In younger days there was an annoying click when on lock to the right. Rack was a bit crabby in terms of a leak so I swapped it as I had a few to spare....

It didn't cure the click! Turned out to be an iffy balljoint that I'd just replaced weeks before. Defective part :(

That's a bit doomsday :P

Most likely upper wishbone bushes if its a squeaking noise, might as well sort both sides if it is, few hundred fitted by a non looney priced mechanic :)
    Even main dealers (in Cork anyway) aren't too expensive for them.

I'm just warning him of the bad new he will get if it is the fecking bushes!

Wishbones are cheap enough, there are double wishbones each side, upper and lower, I replaced two lower wishbones on my 156 and you are dead right it was cheap enough, think they were about 40e for the parts, and the fitting was done during a service.

But, once the front suspension on a 156 starts to give any sort of trouble you need to mind the bugger, I'd my steering rack reconditioned, then it eventually failed a second time, and I moved on to the gtv :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I might look into getting a pair of part worns for my fronts. They're a bit ****e, plenty of thread, but just crap in the wet really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

just thoughts ... would Toyota dealer would give me key code for my mk1 avensis ? i mean free of charge ?

ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I might look into getting a pair of part worns for my fronts. They're a bit ****e, plenty of thread, but just crap in the wet really.

What about swapping the front and back tires, see how that feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What about swapping the front and back tires, see how that feels.

They might be different sizes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They might be different sizes?

No both the same size wheels, but tbh i'd rather have the good rubber on the back, i'd rather have some predictable understeer on occasion than for the arse to step out!

The fronts aren't that bad, I've only noticed it in the wet the last few times, they still stop the car fine but I find they can be a bit skittish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement