Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dartz wrote: »
    Yep.... I really need new tyres. The car's doing that thing where, when you go around corners in the rain it starts getting rumbly through the steering wheel and feels like it's pushing to the side

I also need money first.

Or possibly to slow down.

Are the tyres worn? Or just shite? Probably best to slow down a tad:pac:

I suddenly have big plans for jobs, and maintenance for my car...probably should've done them over the summer...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This weekend I shall be mostly reseating valves. I usually find it therapeutic but I'm a bit anxious over this head build, this is the one that's for the race car

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    This weekend I shall be mostly reseating valves. I usually find it therapeutic

Somebody else said that to me may have been Nissan doc or one of the guys at the race school. Cant remember now
    It was probably me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Are the tyres worn? Or just shite? Probably best to slow down a tad:pac:

I suddenly have big plans for jobs, and maintenance for my car...probably should've done them over the summer...:o

5 year old Michelins.

Still 'legal' depth mind, I specifically checked, but definitely worn. You really feel it in the rain.

Winter's coming so it's a good time to do it anyway. I just need to find a decent cheap set in Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Had to break out this stuff again
    Odour_Eliminator_(Large).jpg

As when I got into the car this morning there was an unholy smell for some unknown reason to me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Dartz wrote: »
    5 year old Michelins.

Still 'legal' depth mind, I specifically checked, but definitely worn. You really feel it in the rain.

Winter's coming so it's a good time to do it anyway. I just need to find a decent cheap set in Blanchardstown.

That would explain it, by the time most Michelins get to that age they have turned very hard and started to perish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Got cut up by twats in a NI reg Golf estate today while driving along Grand Canal between Leeson Street and Northumberland Road not once but twice. Not only driving poorly (inability to manage lane control or to use signals but perfect ability to cut in where too little room or to run through red lights but advertising that they are surveying the streets for Navteq On Boards GPS systems. No doubt they'll manage to do a few wrong ways up one way streets and make it a quality product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I passed out a felter convoy the other day:)

2, no smoke no poke boras (silver of course, I hate silver cars, especially silver boras)
    3 golf gt tdi's (one had smokeyperformance.com or some such ****e on the back window)
    1 RS4 tdi (it was bloody silver too) normally they have the two exhausts, one shiney and the other is manky, well this boyo had the one shiney unused one.....and the other side was the normal double turned down daysul job :p

Is passing out 6 felters at the same time a record:D

I did exceed the limit by quite a bit to get past all 6 of them;)
    (you get prizes for this right, not points:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

What yer opinions on this? Do you think it will come out?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26498

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Can't stop listening to this...

What yer opinions on this? Do you think it will come out?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26498

This is why the powerplant they Opted for in the new ST was a bad choice as it has very little tuning potential, 2 of these 1 litre ecoboosts as a 2 litre inline six would be insane and will be more than likely what will be in the next RS be it a Focus or Fiesta, serious power with decent economy, 450bhp+ with ease and no big turbo conversions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm trying to chase down a problem with boost for a few days now. Slowly running out of ideas.

In the Transporter ('99 2.5 TDI, ACV engine, 102 bhp, Syncro) the turbo only starts putting proper boost at 2800 RPM or above and it's lacking power in the top end. Below that, it doesn't give more than 0.5 bar boost. Also, it tops out at 0.8 bar boost. Top speed is around 120-130 km/h, which it works hard for to archieve.

Now, what it should be, is about 0.9-1.0 bar boost from 1800 rpm and above and a top speed of around 140 km/h.

I've replaced the wastegate-actuator today, as that actually was nearly ceased and then also replaced the vacuum solenoid unit, hoping that this was part of the problem. It changed zero however. Both units were replaced with known good parts.

I had some MAF issues earlier this week, which were down to a gammy MAF connector. This is replaced. MAF issues would have caused limp mode with max 0.5 bar boost anywhere.

I've also checked all vacuum pipes for leaks and replaced the ones that looked dodgy.

I guess I'm down to trying to either disconnect the exhaust pipe tomorrow and see, if that makes a difference. Maybe the exhaust is blocked up preventing the turbo from spooling up properly.

Either that, or maybe my turbo isn't running right.

Any ideas ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did you check the vacuum hoses connected to the wastegate actuator?

It's between the flux capacitor and the pulse generator :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is why the powerplant they Opted for in the new ST was a bad choice as it has very little tuning potential, 2 of these 1 litre ecoboosts as a 2 litre inline six would be insane and will be more than likely what will be in the next RS be it a Focus or Fiesta, serious power with decent economy, 450bhp+ with ease and no big turbo conversions.

:eek:

I better start saving now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Did you check the vacuum hoses connected to the wastegate actuator?

If you check above, I checked ALL vacuum hoses and replaced where necessary. Oh and I forgot to mention, that EGR isn't the problem, as there already is no EGR anymore.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The standard 1.0litre makes 123bhp. The "race" version is 205bhp, which is as good as its going to get, but also likely more than a drive to the shops every day road going version will ever get. Doubling up on an engine doesnt deliver 100% increase in power, maybe 80% (plus double supporting electronics, it gets expensive fast) so IMO the best a factory built road going version would achieve is 340bhp. Which is pretty much what the proposed and far more normal engine (2.3 I4) is going to get:
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-information-2012-02-13
    OSI wrote: »
    The 1 litre Ecoboost is turbocharged.
    He might have meant no big turbo added as opposed no turbos at all... but the linked EcoBoost Formula Ford has a big turbo conversion so Im not sure??
    Marlow wrote: »
    If you check above, I checked ALL vacuum hoses and replaced where necessary. Oh and I forgot to mention, that EGR isn't the problem, as there already is no EGR anymore.
    /M
    I got nothing other than turbo problem you followed exactly the course I would have done too.. it should be fixed!

Lunchtime, hopped into the car to find the screen misted badly and most of the interior damp. Windows crystal clear :confused: Anyone know of any common leaking areas on a 406?

And Tallon, I saw that Lexus (or Tezza, it's debadged) I mentioned before on the way home, no spoiler on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Can anyone tell me the name of a recent song with the video being of super kids escaping from an asylum? Wrecking my head at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's the m83 song midnight city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Hal1 wrote: »
    That's the m83 song midnight city.

That's the one! Love that song.

After a busy and demanding day at work I thought it was best to wind down and go for a little drive straight after work. Many miles racked up around Weatmeath this time, from bumpy roads to twisty roads, wide to narrow. Stopped in Delvin for a mars bar just like old times :pac:

Anyone see me this time? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Westmeath you say?

where aboots?

I was in mondello today bumming passo laps in Joe Powers crazy scooby. These were in the car park

20121012_173701.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Holy sh!t looks like a good party!

Cant make out the reg's are they german??

My day was less interesting, traffic all day, pains in my leg from clutching, fooking jeep, its like pushing a clutch in a 135.

Holy sh!t looks like a good party!

Cant make out the reg's are they german??

My day was less interesting, traffic all day, pains in my leg from clutching, fooking jeep, its like pushing a clutch in a 135.
    All different, some UK. There was a matte black one with no plates. The Nissan dealer.conference is on there next week. The 370Z's look fully race prepped
    20121012_173726.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Anyone ever get that stuff put into your tyres to prevent punctures?? Is it worth €90 to get the 4 tyres done??

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    .......... Is it worth €90 to get the 4 tyres done??

Presuming it works perfectly you'd need to look at it like this to ascertain is it worth getting done imo
    - how many punctures do you expect to get over the lifetime of a set of tyres
    - is it worth €90 not to get "any" (sh1t still happens so you can't rule out ever getting one even if the tack is good)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Presuming it works perfectly you'd need to look at it like this to ascertain is it worth getting done imo
    - how many punctures do you expect to get over the lifetime of a set of tyres
    - is it worth €90 not to get "any" (sh1t still happens so you can't rule out ever getting one even if the tack is good)

I know you might get none in a year but then you could get 2 in a week. Like the idea of the security of being puncture free and not having to worry about getting a blow out on a motorway. Does the stuff work tho? Doesn't seem to be many reviews online about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know you might get none in a year but then you could get 2 in a week. Like the idea of the security of being puncture free and not having to worry about getting a blow out on a motorway. Does the stuff work tho? Doesn't seem to be many reviews online about it

Is it not more of a case that it works in that if you get a puncture it keeps the tyre from deflating and you still have to get the puncture repaired or replace the tyre?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it not more of a case that it works in that if you get a puncture it keeps the tyre from deflating and you still have to get the puncture repaired or replace the tyre?

Reading on their site it seems you just take any screw out and the tyre stays the same pressure and no need to replace or repair the tyre. Find it hard to believe which is why im asking on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Reading on their site it seems you just take any screw out and the tyre stays the same pressure and no need to replace or repair the tyre. Find it hard to believe which is why im asking on here

I cant even remember the last time I had a puncture, so personally I wouldnt bother. I definately wouldnt pay the price of a tire to get it done, but maybe thats just me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anyone got 10k??? It looks to be maintained very well.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4021944

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Anyone got 10k??? It looks to be maintained very well.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4021944

Gotta love the s4 estate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ya, that is nice. Not to fond of the alloys though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Gotta love the s4 estate. :)

+ 1 they look great also you never see a turf burner Avant with S4 badges. Its amazing how cheap they are now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ya, that is nice. Not to fond of the alloys though.

I think the alloys are the nicest thing about it. :)

snowflakes! its arden blue on the g gsi that i like, really rare and the only one i know here. dont like the g anymore but i do like the look of that one, i think it has mk5 opc recaros in it too. 200bhp standard aint bad either

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    I think the alloys are the nicest thing about it. :)

Tastes differ and all that jazz.

Wouldn't pay over 3 grand for it tbh

god no me neither but its very tidy for an irish car.

I actually always wanted one of these. This mightn't be the best example of one though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4021179

or

One of these. This might be over priced as I don't know what these usually go for.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3693227

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

One of these. This might be over priced as I don't know what these usually go for.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3693227

Pretty sure i seen that getting petrol today.

tossy wrote: »
    Pretty sure i seen that getting petrol today.

Id say you could have alright, I think the RS are fairly rare around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Id say you could have alright, I think the RS are fairly rare around Ireland.

Wouldn't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to toyotas so could have been a rep or real deal lol

tossy wrote: »
    Wouldn't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to toyotas so could have been a rep or real deal lol

Im the same, but its never to late to learn. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carparts/4005418

seems like a very sad ending for a lovely car.

• Advertisement

Thats just wrong :(

Parts are expensive though if it's something terminal, and it's even in the best colour :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement