Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I've killed a fox and a sheep:eek: Both at night. The fox destroyed the fiberglass bumper on my old corsa years ago.

Another time, also a good few years back, I came around a sweeping bend and there was a load a sheep sitting(literally) in the middle of the road....it was a sheep or ditch decision. Needed a new bumper and rad on the vectra I was driving:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Whats the story with that sorta thing. I heard that if you see an animal on the road, that you have to hit it, rather then dodging it and risk a crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I came around a corner one night, fairly hot and was confronted by a cow... managed to brake in time. IIRC Quazzie trapped 2 birds on ATWR last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Whats the story with that sorta thing. I heard that if you see an animal on the road, that you have to hit it, rather then dodging it and risk a crash?

I don't know what the legal stance is but common sense is more at play in that situation, If road size/traffic/conditions etc allowed, I'd have tried to avoid them.

Like here recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1e6q9b2TeU&list=UUf2FXl96khtO_Jl43BrAzuA&index=4&feature=plcp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was looking for some info on wrx and ended up on YouTube watching people drive on nurburgring.

How the hell it works in there?! I sow Astra van and some minivan on it in the middle of porches and m3s etc. is it something like: you pay go in, do that lap and go of it? Everyone is allowed etc?

• Advertisement

I don't know what the legal stance is but common sense is more at play in that situation, If road size/traffic/conditions etc allowed, I'd have tried to avoid them.

Like here recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1e6q9b2TeU&list=UUf2FXl96khtO_Jl43BrAzuA&index=4&feature=plcp

Ah ya I know what you mean, Id be the same. But I wouldent put another persons life at risk, for the sake of someone pet cat/dog or a fox or bird just to get a secound chance at life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I was looking for some info on wrx and ended up on YouTube watching people drive on nurburgring.

How the hell it works in there?! I sow Astra van and some minivan on it in the middle of porches and m3s etc. is it something like: you pay go in, do that lap and go of it? Everyone is allowed etc?

Yup, they do days when anyone can drive round in anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Deer you should swerve for, but not if a child is on the other side of the road. Cats and smaller you can drive on. Dogs you should stop and (I think) report it.

Deer you should swerve for, but not if a child is on the other side of the road. Cats and smaller you can drive on. Dogs you should stop and (I think) report it.

Ah right cheers. Its just something I never knew. But when you think about it, Its something you really should know. You never know when an animal desides to run out in front of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

RoverJames wrote: »
    Thank feck for ABS, just narrowly avoided knocking down a young cat, silly thing eye balled me instead of moving, was doing 30mph and had to slam on and was able to steer around the thing to avoid it, it moved eventually but if I had stayed going straight on I thing 'twould have been squashed, wouldn't like to knock it down. Have only killed a pigeon so far in 12 years driving.

Twas only a cat. Drive on! :pac:

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    Twas only a cat. Drive on! :pac:

The things you come out with. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I like my animals too much. I have been known to move a stunned baby rabbit from the center of a road at night back into the safety of the hedge.

I will move out the way for cats and dogs if the conditions allow. Cant see a reason not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Was that when you were on the way back from a concert or something?

Sure was boss, tennants vital in belfast. You can imagine how i thought my car was ****ed like! I was lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

So Fiona, while having fun heading northbound on the M50 today (Saturday), did you fail to notice the red Alfa Spider with two lads waving at you? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

BX 19 wrote: »
    I like my animals too much. I have been known to move a stunned baby rabbit from the center of a road at night back into the safety of the hedge.

I will move out the way for cats and dogs if the conditions allow. Cant see a reason not to.

I move rabbits from the fields into a pot with carrots, onions, pearl barley and spuds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

ottostreet wrote: »
    So Fiona, while having fun heading northbound on the M50 today (Saturday), did you fail to notice the red Alfa Spider with two lads waving at you? :p

Yeah i did see ya wave alright and thought who are those two holding up traffic on the inside lane :p

ottostreet wrote: »

2 grown man in red roadster weaving.... I would ignore that too! :D

A little reading for Shadowhearth...
    Only had a st two days and love not missing the astra one bit.it is just so much easier to drive and comfy when cruising on motorways or flying around the back roads. the astra was such hard work almost a tiring drive when driving at pace,constantly having to grab the wheel when coming out a bend with the torque steer and the remus exhaust constantly shouting down your ear no matter what speed. The st is the faclift model and has the standard xenons and sony headunit etc,its just generally a nicer place to be.even with the astra having the heated leather seats i didnt like them at all,much prefer the cloth recaros.The noise the st makes is just addictive,even with a standard exhaust apart from a mongoose down pipe u still a wee pop now and again.The focus has constant power there the astra was almost diesel like in the power,had to be in the correct gear and revs to go,but the focus is any gear any revs ur away.Even though its a 5 door focus i love it in white with the anthricite wheels.
    The astra was constantly giving me issues with turbo stall in 4th gear etc and even though it was good at the time defo should have bought an st first time round and not sad to see it go.
    Id rather push a ford than drive a vauxhall from now on haha

A little reading for Shadowhearth...

Sourse?

• Advertisement

Wasn't sure if it was subscriber only viewing so didn't provide it, cheers Jarren. :)

to be honest I am so confused and pissed off and I don't know wtf I want anymore. I got Astra on hold as more I read about, worse it gets. Plus it's even worse on mpg then wrx. I am not going for st too as its not 2.5, it is going over it so it goes in to "hardcore" tax band. I am trying to cut the costs not make them bigger. Mazda mps is still on the books though.

Wasn't sure if it was subscriber only viewing so didn't provide it, cheers Jarren. :)

I see, so a Ford ST is the way forward for SH. :)

I see, so a Ford ST is the way forward for SH. :)

Not particularly, but I thought it was useful for him to see what someone who owned both had to say about them.
    Last I saw he was leaning more towards the 3MPS anyway...

Edit: and I see he has just said the same above. :)

Not particularly, but I thought it was useful for him to see what someone who owned both had to say about them.

Aww, I see. :)

it was so easy when i was looking for skyline.... now when i am looking for "something" it is the worst thing ever. tax is out on ford this month too. so i need to decide if itax it again and taking my time looking for car or find it before tax ends. its annoying that you cant renew tax only for 1 month online. :(

so far whats left on list:

mazda 3 mps
    subaru wrx/sti standart
    skoda RS ( petrol ) - maybe
    astra opc - more i learn, less i want.
    golf gti mk5 - if i can find one clean and leather seats/manual. those cloth golf1 style seats are just horrible.

to be honest I am so confused and pissed off and I don't know wtf I want anymore. I got Astra on hold as more I read about, worse it gets. Plus it's even worse on mpg then wrx. I am not going for st too as its not 2.5, it is going over it so it goes in to "hardcore" tax band. I am trying to cut the costs not make them bigger. Mazda mps is still on the books though.

I would be interested to know if there is any difference in the insurance cost per year that might make up for the ST being in a slightly higher tax band. The ST doesn't have a very high loading here, and although it's not cheap, you may find the Mazda does have a higher loading and you'd end up paying the same overall anyway.

Have you looked into the insurance costs at all for all the cars you're interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I would be interested to know if there is any difference in the insurance cost per year that might make up for the ST being in a slightly higher tax band. The ST doesn't have a very high loading here, and although it's not cheap, you may find the Mazda does have a higher loading and you'd end up paying the same overall anyway.

Have you looked into the insurance costs at all for all the cars you're interested in?

The Mazda would be a lot less for him to insure ;)

The Mazda would be a lot less for him to insure ;)

Sounds like you've worked out a scam... How may I subscribe to your newsletter?! :D

• Advertisement

Sounds like you've worked out a scam... How may I subscribe to your newsletter?! :D

:D

I'm just saying it so he'll get the Mazda and playing devil's advocate to your ST-pushing!

On a serious note though, if the 3MPS is anything like the 6MPS in terms of popularity, there's very few on the roads and quite a few less than the ST. I think this would make the 3 better on insurance. That's how it worked for me anyway.

Oh and please let's not have this turn into a "Buy an M3 and spend all the money you saved on tax" thing :pac:

Ah im not pushing the ST, my agenda is far more anti Opel/Vauxhall! Haha

I know he won't buy the real man's engined car anyway, so why bother trying? :P

(I kid, apart from the Opel bit, that was genuine)

Ah im not pushing the ST, my agenda is far more anti Opel/Vauxhall! Haha

I know he won't buy the real man's engined car anyway, so why bother trying? :P

(I kid, apart from the Opel bit, that was genuine)

Oooohhh what's wrong with Opel/Vauxhall?

Oh dear, this will end in tears... :(

Just a dislike of mine. Always have been to be honest. Apart from the quirkiness of the VXR220 and possibly the Manta, I don't think I've ever liked the look of any other Opel/Vauxhall. Just one of those things. :P

Oh dear, this will end in tears... :(

Yeah, for Ardennes! I'm only asking dar a question ;)
    Just a dislike of mine. Always have been to be honest. Apart from the quirkiness of the VXR220 and possibly the Manta, I don't think I've ever liked the look of any other Opel/Vauxhall. Just one of those things. :P

I see but you have to admit that Ardennes's Astra is nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Happiness is discovering that the hose out the back garden on it's super duper fancy reel thingy does in fact stretch out to the front garden.

Ah it's the little things in life :)

Yeah, for Ardennes! I'm only asking dar a question ;)

Oh ya I know that, That was exacly who I was reffering too aswell.

:pac:

Fiona wrote: »
    Happiness is discovering that the hose out the back garden on it's super duper fancy reel thingy does in fact stretch out to the front garden.

Ah it's the little things in life :)

That was funny. :pac:

I've not seen it in person, so I can't comment on it exactly. It does look decent from the pics though.

The shape of them though, I just dont like. It's nothing personal to anyone. If it makes anyone feel any better, I'm not too keen on most Ford's either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Hmm some food for thought regarding my viewing over the next week or 2.

Don't know how much i can try haggling this one down, no DSG is a minus

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0-GTI-/6213354351646660/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Nice car overall + DSG and brown leather no 18 inch wheels though, unsure about the garages rep.

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0-GTI-/5913342400365150/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Abit skangarish but might be worth a look if in the bog shmoke again garage rep and alot of haggling would be 2 downsides and no DSG

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0-GTI-/1613275825323470/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Big shmoke area probably worth a quick look, might look better in person

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GTI-%28LOW/6313352125397170/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Not the best colour and fairly high milage probably worth an evening travelling to look at

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GTI-2.0-/201219208149555/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Then a couple of dark horses that seem to be nicely priced.

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0-GTI-/6613365863252960/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0T-GTI/201219208171159/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Last one already has(had) VRT duty paid on it (i think)

Oh dear i really need to narrow this list down abit as i don't think my mechanic friend can come with me to view all of these :(

tl;dr im crap at making decisions :p

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think about reducing the list. I would just go and look at them all yourself first, weed out the ones that don't match the ads etc... Get a feel for the genuine ones and then go back with your mechanic to the refined short list of the ones you are then properly interested in. :)

I wouldn't think about reducing the list. I would just go and look at them all yourself first, weed out the ones that don't match the ads etc... Get a feel for the genuine ones and then go back with your mechanic to the refined short list of the ones you are then properly interested in. :)

Might wear this when viewing for the laugh :p

shut-up-and-take-my-money-hoodies.png

Don't understand me wrong. I have no hate against ford, it's just if I need to pay 8k for car and them enjoy 1.1k++ eu on tax, then I might aswel buy r34 skyline gtt and pay less tax and have more car for less money with same mpg. Insurance won't be that different. I payed 1.1k on my last skyline back then.

Even mps is a stretch, but for around 7k I could pick up a very low millage 4 door stealth weapon, which is very rare.

I am so sad to miss on that r32 on dtdirl, it was perfect for what I wanted. Though it was gone in less then few hours after it going for sale.

I thought about a 2.5 ST and MPS 6 but i just couldn't afford the extra running costs really, remapped GTI would be a cheaper car day to day.

Hey you don't need to justify your spending to anyone (well maybe the other half :P ).

The tax is something a lot of people get hung upon and if it's too much for your spend then so be it.
    Your insurance was quite high on the Skyline, I'd imagine the MPS to be a good bit less than that. My renewal that I'm going to go ahead with this week is €626 fully comp on the ST, that's with 4 years NCB. So you could be saving a fair bit on insurance anyway! Worth checking it out if you haven't already. :)

Hey you don't need to justify your spending to anyone (well maybe the other half :P ).

The tax is something a lot of people get hung upon and if it's too much for your spend then so be it.
    Your insurance was quite high on the Skyline, I'd imagine the MPS to be a good bit less than that. My renewal that I'm going to go ahead with this week is €626 fully comp on the ST, that's with 4 years NCB. So you could be saving a fair bit on insurance anyway! Worth checking it out if you haven't already. :)

well i have a budget limit and i dont want to blow over it. i am 26 with 5 ncb, so i am not worried much about insurance as long as its under/around 1k.

hows st on mpg? will it fit into 25mpg under normal driving?

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I thought about a 2.5 ST and MPS 6 but i just couldn't afford the extra running costs really, remapped GTI would be a cheaper car day to day.

Yeah, to be honest if you're looking for any sort of sensible economy, then the ST ain't it! It's a thirsty fecker and if I was doing more than the ~300km a week I must do, I'd have to start thinking about my recreational weekend usage more.
    The 6MPS Metzger might be able to enlighten us on a little on the economy but I'd imagine it's none too wonderful either. :D

Edit: on my last direct reading from the ECU it said I was getting 22.6mpg. At present the readout is that I'm using 11.8L/100km, but that's down to a couple of things that aren't helping, mainly my playing with it in 3rd to hear the growl and then 4th to hear the blowoff on throttle release. :P oh and the fact I had the battery unhooked recently and it's still working its way down from being reset.
    I'd realistically expect about 23-24mpg for city/town and up to 30mpg for motorway.

Yea for me GTI is the perfect comprimise 660 tax 590 insurance @ 29 with 5 years ncb and thats including 50 euros full NC protection + 30-35mpg being achievable helps

Anyways off to work to earn some beans ;)

*started to look in to evo 7 and 8 standart.

*hides under the pillows from all the abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

*started to look in to evo 7 and 8 standart.

*hides under the pillows from all the abuse.

Love them :)

Finally did a deal on a car, abandoned the audis and went for a 04 e46 320d - Le Mans Blue, Msport, Individual. Just waiting for it to be vrt'd and nct'd :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement