Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

In other news I'm absolutely dying to do a bit of work on the car and go for a long spin! my power steering pump crapped itself the other day so I need to source one and fit it the weekend hopefully. driving fine without ps but its like driving the titanic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Make sure and get the right fluid as the generic (pink) stuff can wear out seals in some cars, i ended up having to replace 2 pumps and a steering rack on my Octavia because of this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

After being made suddenly redundant a few weeks back (only to be rehired), I realized after much job searching that my never having bothered to get a driving license was quite foolish.

So a few weeks back I started the process and did my Theory Test. Once I get settled into the new job I'll be starting soon, I'm going to take driving lessons. When they are complete and I have my license I shall be coming to ask for your advice in regards to choosing a car.

I'm not going to limit myself to anything in particular. I've been looking at hatchbacks, saloons, coupes and even the odd estate or two. There is so much choice it's brilliant. I can't wait for the day when I have the licence and can then go looking for my own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Looking forward to that search for you ulready mate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I slept with my Certificate of Competence to Drive the night i got it :p

Hmm ya the ould driving test, I must consider doing it. I fear it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Hmm ya the ould driving test, I must consider doing it. I fear it though.

I drove for 6 seven years on a provisional lol!

gollywog wrote: »
    I drove for 6 seven years on a provisional lol!

Shhh dont tell anyone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've to wait 'till late September to do my test, IHATETHESIXMONTHRULE!!!!!

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »

Is that your first LP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sure it's hardly a terribly long time to set aside to learn how to drive. I presume you need to do 12 EDT lessons too. As mentioned, if this isn't your first learner permit you can do the test whenever.

Yep, only got my permit and I hopped on the lessons as quick as I could. Just one more left to complete the book and I've a refresher booked for sometime in September.
    I wish I could have my full licence this summer. :(

I'll have it the rest of my life I guess, that's what really matters.

Sure it's hardly a terribly long time to set aside to learn how to drive. I presume you need to do 12 EDT lessons too. As mentioned, if this isn't your first learner permit you can do the test whenever.

But say you dont have to do them 12 lessons, But you need to renew your LP, does that mean that you must then do the 12 lession once you renew your lp, as its a new fresh lp? :confused:

Thats the only bit im confused about, I swear. :D

EDIT: I think I know the answer. :)

Yep, only got my permit and I hopped on the lessons as quick as I could. Just one more left to complete the book and I've a refresher booked for sometime in September.
    I wish I could have my full licence this summer. :(

I'll have it the rest of my life I guess, that's what really matters.

Nice one. Seriously dude, 6 months is feck all really. I know it's frustrating because you just want to get on with it, but chill and just learn as much as you can. Plenty of time to go tearing around the Dublin mountains!

But say you dont have to do them 12 lessons, But you need to renew your LP, does that mean that you must then do the 12 lession once you renew your lp, as its a new fresh lp? :confused:

Thats the only bit im confused about, I swear. :D

The 12 compulsory lessons only apply to first learner permit holders who received their first permit from April 11 on. So if you renew your Permit, and get say, a second, or third, you do not have to complete the EDT lessons.

• Advertisement

The 12 compulsory lessons only apply to first learner permit holders who received their first permit from April 11 on. So if you renew your Permit, and get say, a second, or third, you do not have to complete the EDT lessons.

Ah right cheers.

Edit: am I right in saying that there is a test before the practical? Like hand signals and such?

Nice one. Seriously dude, 6 months is feck all really. I know it's frustrating because you just want to get on with it, but chill and just learn as much as you can. Plenty of time to go tearing around the Dublin mountains!

Yeah, you're right really.
    I'm using the coming months to save for insurance and get the car in top shape for NCT.
    And yes, there will be tearing! :D:p

Ah right cheers.

Edit: am I right in saying that there is a test before the practical? Like hand signals and such?

Nope. After the theory test there is only one driving test. Hand signals, technical checks, road signs etc are all checked during your driving test.

Yeah, you're right really.
    I'm using the coming months to save for insurance and get the car in top shape for NCT.
    And yes, there will be tearing! :D:p

Careful now.

Ah right cheers.

Askedmy instructor this the other day. He said they'll ask a bit about the car, ie. Wipers, lights, dipstick, etc... And then you're off for the roughly half hour drive.
    You do your torn about(use to be 3 point turn but now it can be more), your hill start and reverse around the corner. When that's done you'll go on a longer spin where they'll watch road posission, progression, control and awareness.

Before you go for your test it might be worth getting a pre-test lesson or two to clean up any bad habits and make sure it's all by the book. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Had a blast tonight! Feet absolutely killing me from dancing, only getting to bed now and I have to be up at 8 to drop sister to school :mad:

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep ATWR Chris

Ah right cheers.

Nope. After the theory test there is only one driving test. Hand signals, technical checks, road signs etc are all checked during your driving test.
    The tester will ask you some questions whilst in the office before you go out to your car.

This video is very good at explaining the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just had a 98 BMW fail the NCT because the flexible brake pipes are frayed/cut. What kind of money am I looking at getting this sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just had a 98 BMW fail the NCT because the flexible brake pipes are frayed/cut. What kind of money am I looking at getting this sorted?

Shouldn't be a huge amount, anywhere from 75-200 for the parts. Will you be replacing them yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Getting better mileage from the teg than I thought, up to 520km & not even a petrol light yet! Close enough to it though. Still I thought I was only getting about 400/450 depending, so happy days! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Jemmy wrote: »
    Getting better mileage from the teg than I thought, up to 520km & not even a petrol light yet!

I only get around 340km from a tank, gulp :(
    That said have never actually seen the light come on so it could be more, I am too afraid to test it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I slept with my Certificate of Competence to Drive the night i got it :p

I just made the tax office with moments to spare as it closed at 3:15. I got there as they were closing the door. Imagine my disappointment when I didnt get the license there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have no idea wtf I sow today 4:45 in the morning. I need to drive through a small alley in mallow and just when I drove in there, I sow corsa parked in the middle of that narrow road... There was nothing on the parking lane so I jumped I sidewalk and tried to drive around that corsa. So when I got to the window... Well it was smashed in and there was no one inside of it....
    I had no time to investigate, as I had to be at work ASAP.

Askedmy instructor this the other day. He said they'll ask a bit about the car, ie. Wipers, lights, dipstick, etc... And then you're off for the roughly half hour drive.
    You do your torn about(use to be 3 point turn but now it can be more), your hill start and reverse around the corner. When that's done you'll go on a longer spin where they'll watch road posission, progression, control and awareness.

Before you go for your test it might be worth getting a pre-test lesson or two to clean up any bad habits and make sure it's all by the book. :)

Best tip I can offer. Be calm.

Don't panic, its a piece of piss once you realise your just driving round.

Hey lads,
    Being the car cleaning season and all, I got one of those cheap nilfisk power washer jobbies. I got a foam lance with it, but i see theres bigger and better ones to be bought separately, will the little plastic one do the trick or would it be worth getting the better one??

And also, ya have to love weather like this!!!

[IMG][/img]IMAG0215.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Fiona wrote: »
    That said have never actually seen the light come on so it could be more, I am too afraid to test it out.

Yeah but your tank is ony a small one. Mine I s 22 gallons and I still don't get much more than 340kms out of it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fiona wrote: »

340km!?!:eek:

I would manage that in the T/A doing motorway driving!:cool:

Marcusm wrote: »
    Yeah but your tank is ony a small one. Mine I s 22 gallons and I still don't get much more than 340kms out of it. :eek:

What car are you driving?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Dissertation has been completed and handed in, education....good luck kiddo!:D:D

Dissertation has been completed and handed in, education....good luck kiddo!:D:D

Congratulations! Must be a great feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    340km!?!:eek:

I would manage that in the T/A doing motorway driving!:cool:

Yeah I have M3 clocks in the E30 though so not sure I could be getting more but as I said am too afraid to see if the yellow light works!

Good man!

I finished there a few weeks ago. Good bye college! Now to see if I get enough marks for a masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'll be giving my car a service tomorrow. Oil change, oil filter + O rings as it's the cartridge style and pollen filter. Feckers didn't have the air filter in stock so that'll have to wait until next week, might just hoover out the current one for the craic :o Then I'll check the plugs and clean them up if needs be, check all other levels also.

Sunday is tuning day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You're a brave man taking that on!Hope it works out, I'd rather pay an experienced tuner meself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ATWR Chris,

Any relation to -Chris- ?

You're a brave man taking that on!Hope it works out, I'd rather pay an experienced tuner meself. :)

I'm not actually doing the tuning myself. A very experienced guy in the UK is going to do it for me. I'll be data logging with base maps and sending him the logs. He will then use those logs to tune a map and then email me the maps and I'll load them onto the ECU.

After each map will be a new data logging session. I'll be happy to get 1 new map on Sunday as this won't be a quick job to get to where I want safely.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    ATWR Chris,

I think that's Quazzie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I think that's Quazzie ;)

He smells funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You should go get a dyno run this weekend before you start.

You should go get a dyno run this weekend before you start.

I'm not going to bother with that because there's only 2 places that I know of with a 4WD dyno and they're miles away.

• Company Representative Posts: 91 Verified rep ATWR Eoin

MugMugs wrote: »
    ATWR Chris,

It would obviously be ATWR -Chris- then:p

Well done Ardennes too. Now get thee to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's the number of emails I've received since 5pm last Friday. That's 193 a day, most of which are topic notifications from boards.ie motors! :eek::eek::eek:

MCMLXXV wrote: »

That's the number of emails I've received since 5pm last Friday. That's 193 a day, most of which are topic notifications from boards.ie motors! :eek::eek::eek:

Step 1.

Use Gmail.

Step 2.

Create a filter for Boards.ie

Step 3.

Create a folder for that filter, bypassing the inbox altogether.

The email notifications are great. My phone stockpiles them when it has a network so I can read them offline on the train. Email notifications are instant too, they'll show the original post not the edited/deleted version or what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'll be giving my car a service tomorrow. Oil change, oil filter + O rings as it's the cartridge style and pollen filter. Feckers didn't have the air filter in stock so that'll have to wait until next week, might just hoover out the current one for the craic :o Then I'll check the plugs and clean them up if needs be, check all other levels also.

Giving the ol air filter a good hoover is your idea of craic? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

To booze it or not to booze it tonight that is the question!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Jemmy wrote: »
    To booze it or not to booze it tonight that is the question!! :p

Booze it Jemmy. Booze it good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement