Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Very sad news about the crash in Cavan - was gonna start a thread on it until I saw the one in Motorsport locked.

RIP to those involved.

Yup, its a real pity, R.I.P to the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Very sad news about the crash in Cavan - was gonna start a thread on it until I saw the one in Motorsport locked.

RIP to those involved.
    A man in his 40s and a woman in her 30s have been killed in an accident at a motor rally in the Republic of Ireland.

It is understood one of the vehicles lost control and crashed into a fence outside a house near Bailieborough, County Cavan, where some spectators were standing.

At least seven other people were injured in the accident, which happened at about 11:30 BST on Sunday.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18226290

_60520623_zx5kgqpc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

b_350_350_16777215_0___media_kunena_attachments_62_GAScc_flyer_2012.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Subaru club website is down.... Hmmmm wtf?

Anyone ever changed a sidelight bulb on an Alfa 147? Had a go at it earlier no joy. Tres fiddly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just back from a great weekend away around Kerry. The S Type didn't miss a beat, the comfy seats and suspension, the effortless overtaking ability and the climate control make it the perfect inter-county cruiser :)

On a sad note, it took €105 to fill it :(

colm_mcm wrote: »

On a sad note, it took €105 to fill it :(

Better than 40mpg with €70/week depreciation :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Better than 40mpg with €70/week depreciation :)

Amen to that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Tried out Chemical Guy's Blacklight the other day, verdict on the beads?

IMAG0149.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Where'd ye get the rain?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Where'd ye get the rain?

Limerick. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

OSI wrote: »
    The GTI passed her first NCT this weekend (so proud :o), good to go till October 2014 :D. Gotta love getting it done 5 months early!

Was pleasantly surprised by how great some of the results were too. The suspension seems to be near perfect. Almost no imbalances on any of the tests at all.
    both front/back shocks could be worn but if there is no/not enough imbalance between them you wont fail!

IMAG0149.jpg

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The beads looks sweet!
    I'm going to throw a bucket over mine tomorrow just to get a pic of the BEAAAAAADS!

I've also to go to the scrappies to find some trim. Hopefully there's a few Almeras about. If there's a silver GTI I'll be making two trips. :)

This beading jazz seem like mighty crack altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

IMAG0149.jpg

NICE :cool: Cant wait to get that stuff on mine...did you apply by hand or DA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Is a 12 month Toyota main dealer guarantee worth paying €10,000+ for a 2006 GTI ?

Thoughts, gonna get a test drive tomorrow from local main toyota dealership that has one with DSG

This beading jazz seem like mighty crack altogether.

Sure, what else would I be doing in work. :)
    NICE :cool: Cant wait to get that stuff on mine...did you apply by hand or DA?

By hand, 2 coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

By hand, 2 coats

Cheers

Whats it like to work with? Would it be easier applying with DA..

Curious as my skillset is limited to correction work at the moment :P

Cheers

Very easy to apply I found by hand, didn't bother trying it with the DA.

• Advertisement

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Is a 12 month Toyota main dealer guarantee worth paying €10,000+ for a 2006 GTI ?............ with DSG

Depends how much + we're talking about, a few hundred over the €10k I would say yes. Provided it's a nice one obviously.

Cheers

If I can wax, you'll be flying. :p
    I found a little is better than a lot so keep that in mind.

Even with the polish and wax, mine's got NOTHING on yours. :(

Sorry TT, I <3 beer. :o

The dealer cover would be handy if the DSG goes out to lunch

Depends how much + we're talking about, a few hundred over the €10k I would say yes. Provided it's a nice one obviously.

http://www.toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/car/4c94f2d9-5178-4cd7-89af-56a49dea4efa

Won't budge on paying anything more than €10,000

Main thing is i get to get a test drive in one with DSG, not a big fan of silver tbh as was hoping to try a blacked out red one with black powder coated 18" Monza's/Detroits and some carbon wrapped badges/wing mirrors etc, silver wouldn't look right with that.

The dealer cover would be handy if the DSG goes out to lunch

This is the thing, with a 6 year old engine/dsg gearbox and problems will develop within the first year so it's reassuring, it's dealer my da and grand aunt buy new cars from every 2-3 years so if he doesn't do me a good deal feck him, i will buy on the spot if price is right as it's convienient with location and warranty, also i don't know how to multiquote soz :(

http://www.toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/car/4c94f2d9-5178-4cd7-89af-56a49dea4efa

Won't budge on paying anything more than €10,000

Main thing is i get to get a test drive in one with DSG, not a big fan of silver tbh as was hoping to try a blacked out red one with black powder coated 18" Monza's/Detroits and some carbon wrapped badges/wing mirrors etc, silver wouldn't look right with that.

Looks a nice one to me, I like silver, not overly keen on red cars but that's neither here nor there. I would reckon that would be a decent buy at €10k. I don't like those seats though.
    ........... also i don't know how to multiquote soz :(

The button next to quote :)

Looks a nice one to me, I like silver, not overly keen on red cars but that's neither here nor there. I would reckon that would be a decent buy at €10k. I don't like those seats though.

Apparently they look better in the flesh, i hate the fabric seats in my Skoda Octavia and they look to be made of the same stuff, seems to have most of the good extra's besides the seats though.

Sure, what else would I be doing in work. :)

I dont know, work perhaps? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

got pulled in on the way home in the glanza today, that only took 4 days having not previously been pulled in for donkeys :pac:

turned down a local short cut, traffic corp car in the lane for some reason. they spun around and followed me home. stopped me in my driveway

"why have you no insurance disc"

and so forth. all was in order thankfully :)

hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

andyseadog wrote: »
    got pulled in on the way home in the glanza today, that only took 4 days having not previously been pulled in for donkeys :pac:

turned down a local short cut, traffic corp car in the lane for some reason. they spun around and followed me home. stopped me in my driveway

"why have you no insurance disc"

and so forth. all was in order thankfully :)

hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

Better get used to it, a Glanza sticker made petty criminals and incorrectly insured drivers easier to identify a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Right a bit of a problem people..... The 406 smells a damn sight better than it did from when I first got it (dog anyone? :eek:) but it still smells like a chain smoker and an ashtray despite leaving the sunroof and all the windows open all week. Even the new interior and various fresheners can't mask the stench! :mad:

Any ideas on a good way of ridding the odour? Had this problem a few times but never this bad! Usually anew interior sorts it :rolleyes:

I dont know, work perhaps? :p

It's over rated.

dgt wrote: »
    Right a bit of a problem people..... The 406 smells a damn sight better than it did from when I first got it (dog anyone? :eek:) but it still smells like a chain smoker and an ashtray despite leaving the sunroof and all the windows open all week. Even the new interior and various fresheners can't mask the stench! :mad:

Any ideas on a good way of ridding the odour? Had this problem a few times but never this bad! Usually anew interior sorts it :rolleyes:

Id say a few gallon of this stuff.

Febreze.jpg

FRESH!

It's over rated.

Haha, if you say so. :D

Febreze.jpg

FRESH!

Tried it, failed! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Febreze.jpg

FRESH!

Wet vac everything. Very hard to get rid of the smell of smoke though

Jaysus, it must be very bad so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Elite Auto Clean in Dubline offer an interior deodorising treatment which is excellent.

Go HERE

You get to choose which scent you want out of a variety they have to offer. It's a "dry vapour produced from natural essential oils".

I haven't had it done but a lot of dealers get it done with cars that stink of smoke before it's sold on.

This is the only way to get rid of the smell apart from throwing the whole interior into the washing machine!

Definitely the wet vac if you can.
    I'd attack the head lining too, no doubt there's years if smoke and bad breath imbedded in that yoke.

Edit: Midnight_EG's scored a job with EAC, annoy him for discounts. :p
    The prick was ment to help me with my car but kept cancling for work so he deserves it. Haha

• Advertisement

Jaysus, it must be very bad so.

It's proving to be very stubborn indeed. Big problem is I can't change the headlining very easily :mad:
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    Wet vac everything. Very hard to get rid of the smell of smoke though

I may invest in one so cheers! :D

Elite Auto Clean in Dubline offer an interior deodorising treatment which is excellent.

Go HERE

You get to chose which scent you want out of a variety they have to offer. It's a "dry vapour produced from natural essential oils".

I haven't had it done but a lot of dealers get it done with cars that stink of smoke before it's sold on.

This is the only way to get rid of the smell apart from throwing the whole interior into the washing machine!

What I tend to do is replace everything but that wasn't a viable option this time! Worst combo of dog hair, cigs and cow dung all ground in there somewhere :(

Must keep an eye out for them, I'll be in the city on Tuesday :)

What I tend to do is replace everything but that wasn't a viable option this time! Worst combo of dog hair, cigs and cow dung all ground in there somewhere :(

Must keep an eye out for them, I'll be in the city on Tuesday :)

You'd also need them to do a wet-vac on the interior too if there's dog hair and cow dung in there. That stuff can be dangerous if you're breathing in particles from it the whole time you're in the car.

Is the smell coming from the seats dgt?

You'd also need them to do a wet-vac on the interior too if there's dog hair and cow dung in there. That stuff can be dangerous if you're breathing in particles from it the whole time you're in the car.

That was my first priority (full clean on a new daily) All that was left when I was finished was the front carpet and the roof lining. Everything else is from a different car, even the plastics and console ;)

Most dog hairs are gone from the roof and the dung was in the carpet I took out (traces not much thankfully)

Is the smell coming from the seats dgt?

I'm pretty certain its from the roof lining. Seats had a lovely scent from the other car :)

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Definitely the wet vac if you can.
    I'd attack the head lining too, no doubt there's years if smoke and bad breath imbedded in that yoke.

Edit: Midnight_EG's scored a job with EAC, annoy him for discounts. :p
    The prick was ment to help me with my car but kept cancling for work so he deserves it. Haha

I never herard off him before.

Edit, does he use this thread much?

In that case, pick up a wet-vac and give everything a going over. Try to use a carpet shampoo that specifically says it kills bacteria. These live in the fibres of seats, carpets etc. and are what cause the smell to stick.

If the smell is still there after this which it very well could be, bring it to get that treatment. At least you'll have the heavy work done yourself, all they'll have to do is stick that machine into the car and possibly give the plastics and glass a wipe afterwards.

BW: He use to post here all the time, these days he's over on DTDIRL. :)

dgt: I used Turtle Wax Interior 1 carpet and upholstey cleaner (something like that) when I first got my car. The seats initially smelth like arse but now they smell nice and fresh. If it can take out that smell, it'll take out anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Put a small bowl of Bread Soda behind passenger seat.
    It's very good for absorbing smells and cheap in any supermarket;)

DubCul wrote: »
    Put a small bowl of Bread Soda behind passenger seat.
    It's very good for absorbing smells and cheap in any supermarket;)

If that works it's a nice fix.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement