Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anyone here ever been successful using WD-40 to remove tar from paint ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anyone here every been successful using WD-40 to remove tar from paint ?
    White spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

No offence mugs but I wouldn't dare put white spirits near paint. It's made for breaking down paint in paintbrushes etc......

No offence mugs but I wouldn't dare put white spirits near paint. It's made for breaking down paint in paintbrushes etc......

No offence taken. Take a trip into the detailing forum for clarity. It doesn't harm the paint.

MugMugs wrote: »
    No offence taken. Take a trip into the detailing forum for clarity. It doesn't harm the paint.

I would think it does some amount of damage but not visible damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Took the Civic to the shop and for a small spin to blow off the cobwebs, it's not been moved in days, I had a lad in an e30 put it up to me then another guy in an Audi A4 TDI. I can't believe it's the guys driving the Jap stuff that have a bad name

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I can't believe it's the guys driving the Jap stuff that have a bad name

Wouldn't that be because these lads all had Jap cars years ago before the felt trend took hold?

Took the Civic to the shop and for a small spin to blow off the cobwebs, it's not been moved in days, I had a lad in an e30 put it up to me then another guy in an Audi A4 TDI. I can't believe it's the guys driving the Jap stuff that have a bad name
    Did the TDI tear up the road with torque?

Wouldn't that be because these lads all had Jap cars years ago before the felt trend took hold?
    They aren't in them now though
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Did the TDI tear up the road with torque?

Gonna have to detar my car after having it beside me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This. When I had skyline it was just brutal on the roads for me. I would drive to work around 4:40 in the morning at 100km/h and I would get overtaken by passats audis or octavias on huge speed over solid white lines or stupid spots. Some cars I would notice more then once to do that to me.
    It was like a principal to go faster then me and in front of me. I couldn't give a toss to be honest, but it was always that Vag stuff that would be doing stupid stuff on roads, not jap stuff, but jap stuff would get all the glory...

*there are stupid drivers on both sides, it's just jap stuff gets blamed for everything.

• Advertisement

I know that but it's like the way a lot of people here don't like the English because of what they did to us years ago. No one wants to know about what they're doing now, just what they used do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Anyone here every been successful using WD-40 to remove tar from paint ?

I used this stuff before
    scaled.php?server=47&filename=tar44xn.jpg&res=landing

Essentially watered down thinners

I know that but it's like the way a lot of people here don't like the English because of what they did to us years ago. No one wants to know about what they're doing now, just what they used do ;)
    People that hate the english for what they did years ago are morons... See the pattern?

People that hate the english for what they did years ago are morons... See the pattern?

LOL, yes but you've kind of made my point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

This. When I had skyline it was just brutal on the roads for me. I would drive to work around 4:40 in the morning at 100km/h and I would get overtaken by passats audis or octavias on huge speed over solid white lines or stupid spots. Some cars I would notice more then once to do that to me.
    It was like a principal to go faster then me and in front of me. I couldn't give a toss to be honest, but it was always that Vag stuff that would be doing stupid stuff on roads, not jap stuff, but jap stuff would get all the glory...

*there are stupid drivers on both sides, it's just jap stuff gets blamed for everything.

Sure its not German envy boys ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I love this car so much ive posted it in tow threads :), could do with a change of wheels though.

Full-12029476.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I love this car so much ive posted it in tow threads :), could do with a change of wheels though.

Full-12029476.jpeg

Seems like it could be an original Irish car too 84-D-627 - I wonder who Dublin's Gordon Gekko equivalent was rolling in that thing in the 80s?

Agree that the rims do nothing for it - need AMG monoblocks on that bad boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

An original Irish 84 plate would have been an old dtyle plate, its an import

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Stupid lazy sleepy wknd, can't sleep now wide awake at half 2 thinking about all the bits I need to do to the car soon & up in 4hrs :mad: :(

Please sleep show yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

pred racer wrote: »
    Sure its not German envy boys ;)

Gary secretly loves E30s. Go on mate just admit it!

Fiona wrote: »
    Gary secretly loves E30s. Go on mate just admit it!

Don't think so, but I'm happy to be in the underestimated car ;)

Until it sells that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Buy my S8, its der Koenig VAG and become a god among felters everywhere. :cool:

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Buy my S8, its der Koenig VAG and become a god among felters everywhere. :cool:

Es ist König ohne Krone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Don't think so

Not even orange ones :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Es ist König ohne Krone :pac:

Lol, even better than VWs Drivers Wanted, I should put that in the window. :D

I think I asked this already in here but I can't remember!
    Need to get new brake pads for the DC5 & I've no clue what to get, any suggestions? I know nothing about the different types :o

Think there is something wrong with the bearings in the back too, going to get it looked at this wk :(

After waiting over a week since I ordered it, my Cobb turbo inlet pipe has finally landed in Ireland :D

Now all i have to do is wait another week for it to get to me :pac:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Are you going to do any track days with the DC5? That would really be the only factor really in deciding what pads you need.

Don't plan to, although I didn't plan the last 2 out of the 3 I've done! :pac:

Nah she'll be road only for a good while yet!

Anyone know much about body repair? Looks like ill be going through insurance been told itll be between 1500 and 2 grand to fix, so went and got two rough quotes today from repairs centres reccommended by the insurance company ( i pay less excess if go to one of there choice).

Theres slight damage on the passenger side door near the handle beside the rear passenger side door. Now two places have told me theyd have to respray both doors but one place said they wouldnt re spray theyd just re lacquer them?

Would that be sufficient? Or am I right in thinking a a full re spray on both doors would be the best option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

@Marty, Im no experton this sublect, but if you upload a pic it might give a better idea to people on this thread and might be able to give you a better idea.

No probs pics of the door, only very slight damage hard to make out on the pics sorry but due to its location im being told itll be a full respray on two doors and front panel in two places and in another i was told a re lacquer of the two doors is all theyd do opinions?

SAM_0164.jpg

SAM_0163.jpg

Heres the further damage that was done, ive been quoted roughly around two grand to fix the lot,

SAM_0159.jpg

SAM_0161.jpg

Theres also damage to the bumper the paint is lifting a bit but its only noticable under certain light angles but needs to resprayed aswell as the paint will eventually start to lift.

Marty - I think Owen (Ex PaintDoctor) here would be able to give you the best advice. It's a tricky situation regarding what can and can't be done.

On another note, I was looking up new cars for my folks. They want either a 320i or a C180 as they currently have a C180. They're looking for at least a 2011 (and it must be petrol :D)

I've just been on carzone and there isn't 1 petrol in either car - they're all diesel! This depresses me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Marty - I think Owen (Ex PaintDoctor) here would be able to give you the best advice. It's a tricky situation regarding what can and can't be done.

On another note, I was looking up new cars for my folks. They want either a 320i or a C180 as they currently have a C180. They're looking for at least a 2011 (and it must be petrol :D)

I've just been on carzone and there isn't 1 petrol in either car - they're all diesel! This depresses me :(

Hey, at least they don't want no jap scrap! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Banned.

No, it's because my mother is a bit of a badge snob ;)

No, it's because my mother is a bit of a badge snob has taste ;)

Fixed! :p

Fixed! :p

Fixed to suit you and take any notion that you are a badge snob out of the equation :D

Cheers I might give him a try, hopefully ill at least get a nice fun rental car for the few days.

Check out usedcarsni.com for the c180 had a look there, theres 3 2011 petrol ones on it. Which even at 3 is sad to see.

Cheers I might give him a try, hopefully ill at least get a nice fun rental car for the few days.

Check out usedcarsni.com for the c180 had a look there, theres 3 2011 petrol ones on it. Which even at 3 is sad to see.

He's out of the business now but he'll be able to tell you what you want to know ;)

Even with the very low tax in NI 3 is very sad to see.

• Advertisement

Fixed to suit you and take any notion that you are a badge snob out of the equation :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Actually most BMW drivers, in fact most PRESTIGE :p car drivers are usually fairly courteous to each other on the road, probably because most other drivers hate us are jealous. Anyhow some dude in a '12 reg 520d tried to cut me up today. Needless to say he failed miserably! :D

Probably middle management that got promoted from a Mondeo to a Bimmer and still finding his way. :p

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Actually most BMW drivers, in fact most PRESTIGE :p car drivers are usually fairly courteous to each other on the road, probably because most other drivers hate us are jealous. Anyhow some dude in a '12 reg 520d tried to cut me up today. Needless to say he failed miserably! :D

Probably middle management that got promoted from a Mondeo to a Bimmer and still finding his way. :p

"Prestige" shouldn't mean you can be an a**hole, do you want praise just because you are courteous to other road users??

As LM would say, Yarrah get ou' r dah!

On a musical note (see what I did there?) Gojira's new album is kick-ass!

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

when brother fights brother, the world will come to the end...

Prestige shouldn't mean you can be an a**hole, do you want praise just because you are courteous to other road users??

i am waiting for 25th for new LINKIN PARK ALBUM! *motor related* I LOVE to be listening to them while driving!

<.<
    >.>
    0-0

*i got away!

Prestige shouldn't mean you can be an a**hole, do you want praise just because you are courteous to other road users??

I think you missed the point - I'm courteous to most other road users however I find that people in 'normal' cars tend to resent the fact that you're driving a 'nice' car (albeit not even worth €2k but that's another days work) and try cut you up on the road because of it. I rarely experience this with other 'nice' car drivers bar that chap in the 520d today - but then again that was daysul lad. :cool:

I think you missed the point - I'm courteous to most other road users however I find that people in 'normal' cars tend to resent the fact that you're driving a 'nice' car (albeit not even worth €2k but that's another days work) and try cut you up on the road because of it. I rarely experience this with other 'nice' car drivers bar that chap in the 520d today - but then again that was daysul lad. :cool:

Nah, I didn't miss the point, your sarcasm detector may need a service :P

On a completely unrelated note I just learned what 'COYBIG' means! :o

On a completely unrelated note I just learned what 'COYBIG' means! :o

Ah for the love of god, only learned now. Even gtfo images wouldnt do this justice :).

Ah for the love of god, only learned now. Even gtfo images wouldnt do this justice :).

I don't 'do' soccer, ever. I haven't watched a second of the Euro thingys. Bit of rugby and the odd bit of GAA but in general if it don't take petrol I don't wanna know! ;)

• Advertisement

I don't 'do' soccer, ever. I haven't watched a second of the Euro thingys. Bit of rugby and the odd bit of GAA but in general if it don't take petrol I don't wanna know! ;)

Some say Cian Healy runs on unleaded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement