Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

CianRyan wrote: »
    You can't be serious, right?

Ya, In as serious as a hearth attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ya, In as serious as a hearth attack.
    in fairness, attacking someone with a fireplace would be fairly funny lad

CianRyan wrote: »
    Oh man, you even had the chance to play it off as a joke.
    Well, you have to learn sometime I guess.

Well, I knew what the van in the wheel arch meant. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

langdang wrote: »

Ha ha that made me spit orange juice all over the laptop,
    well played sir, well played!! :p

And superstoner,
    Dont feel bad for asking a question you didnt know the answer to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I think people are just getting stupider and stupider...

Twice in recent times some asshóle has cut me off, barging into the lane I'm in with out looking, on both occasions I got very hot headed and vocal. What was I told on both occasions? Learn to drive... Learn to fúcking drive you say? So when did you pass your test? Did you even do one? Why am I even ranting?

This happened earlier today. The chap in question had L plates on the car, was sitting avéc the "Felt" manner (seat wound back, head tilted, body jaunty) and after I roared out the window in what was a sheer last second, no looking manoeuvre with no indicator for a last second "oh shít, I want to go that way" move, I was told to learn to drive. Want the irony? His father owns and runs his own driving school car, don't think he'd be very impressed with that :rolleyes:

I need a dash cam, badly! [/RANT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Dont mind them super stoner.
    Its the size of the engine, not the fuel tank.

OSI wrote: »
    Reminds me of a woman behind who was too busy checking her phone in traffic to notice that the cars in front had stopped, she looked up and had to break at the last second and somehow decided it was my fault and started shouting at me from her car. A couple of minutes later she decided she was too good for the man traffic and started driving off in the bus lane, but not before giving me a filthy look as she passed by.

I don't think you would be surprised how often I see that now I park in the city centre! That post has the very point I was going to make: other peoples making mistakes then trying to put that mistake on you!

Saw something very strange, a cashcow being driven hard! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

dgt wrote: »
    I don't think you would be surprised how often I see that now I park in the city centre! That post has the very point I was going to make: other peoples making mistakes then trying to put that mistake on you!

Saw something very strange, a cashcow being driven hard! :eek:

Funny you say that, I got passed by one that had to be doing 160kp/h at least earlier:eek:

You couldn't just fix my post. Damn spell checker couldn't even save me the embarrassment of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

You couldn't just fix my post. Damn spell checker couldn't even save me the embarrassment of that.
    Just a lighthearted dig man - personally I'd find it more annoying if someone FYP'd one of my typos for me like a primary school teacher. I'd find it a bit condescending unless they threw in a joke too!

Stoney broke boys and girls, car needs some TLC but it won't be getting it this week or next at this rate. :o:(

• Advertisement

Funny you say that, I got passed by one that had to be doing 160kp/h at least earlier:eek:

11D, maroon coloured, Navan to Dunshaughlin road....?

Edit: Had the pleasure of working on my old Fester last night :D goodness I miss that car!

Owner complained of a rubber top mount gone but wanted the part and a new strut :confused:

I'll get a picture up after but how fast do you have to hit a pothole to smash a shim through a collar???!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Just connected to my car using fiatecuscan, free version is absolutely useless.
    Guess ill have to spend 50 quid on the real version:eek:
    Any other software that will do (free preferably)

I wish i had diagnostics for my bloody chainsaw:(

I have 2 cars, 4 quads, a lawnmower, a strimmer and a tractor and the only thing i want to use wont bloody start:o
    I pulled it so hard the handle came off in my hand (careful now ladies and gents;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Started searching for renewal quotes, who was it that mentioned quotedevil for a cheap s2000 quote?

They couldn't even come near my renewal quote from Aviva, they were €400 off the mark and that was with Aviva aswell.They were the only company who would give them a quote. :(

Started searching for renewal quotes, who was it that mentioned quotedevil for a cheap s2000 quote?

They couldn't even come near my renewal quote from Aviva, they were €400 off the mark and that was with Aviva aswell.They were the only company who would give them a quote. :(

I feel your pain mine went up this year coz my oil burner is a "performance car" their words, not mine!

pred racer wrote: »
    I feel your pain mine went up this year coz my oil burner is a "performance car" their words, not mine!

Mine came down actually by a €100, still a bit too much though imo.

Mine came down actually by a €100, still a bit too much though imo.

At least you dont have to leave the meets before Alanstrainor so as not to have the slowest car left:D

(dunno what im gonna do if he buys that german yoke Bmw)

pred racer wrote: »
    At least you dont have to leave the meets before Alanstrainor so as not to have the slowest car left:D

(dunno what im gonna do if he buys that german yoke Bmw)

True! :p

I'm actually getting laughed off the phone by most places, told them what my renewal was and they can't even get close/even give a quote.

Just a lighthearted dig man - personally I'd find it more annoying if someone FYP'd one of my typos for me like a primary school teacher. I'd find it a bit condescending unless they threw in a joke too!

Stoney broke boys and girls, car needs some TLC but it won't be getting it this week or next at this rate. :o:(

Fair enough. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

True! :p

I'm actually getting laughed off the phone by most places, told them what my renewal was and they can't even get close/even give a quote.

Have you tried First Ireland? try and get a quote for Setanta through them.

• Advertisement

Ringing them now... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Buying my new wheels tonight! :D

Now, just need some rubber.

Bingo, down another €97 with a quote through Aviva through them, that's 3 different quotes from brokers through Aviva varying over €500 in the difference. NoNonsense wouldn't quote me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bingo, down another €97 with a quote through Aviva through them, that's 3 different quotes from brokers through Aviva varying over €500 in the difference. NoNonsense wouldn't quote me..

My usual trick with Quinn was just fill out their online quote form as a new customer - usually came back a few hundred cheaper than their renewal. Probably left scratching their heads when they were looking at their own NCB letter :D

It's mental though, I doubt anywhere else the same shít with insurance goes on

My usual trick with Quinn was just fill out their online quote form as a new customer - usually came back a few hundred cheaper than their renewal. Probably left scratching their heads when they were looking at their own NCB letter :D

It's mental though, I doubt anywhere else the same shít with insurance goes on

I tried that already, came back more expensive by about €200.Doubt I'll even bother ringing Quinn or whatever theyre called nowadays.

You could have just rang them up and said you got a cheaper quote from their online form and they always matched it. Save you the hassle of starting a new policy.

Well I did ring them, and asked could they do any better (without mentioning the online quote was better) and they said no. I got the impression if I said anything I'd have ended up worse off tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Try Travers in Arklow either (040232204), I couldn't get a quote anywhere last year & they quoted me 727 with Aviva who wouldn't even qoute me when I called directly!

Not having much look myself on quotes today sick of hearing sorry we don't insure imports/integras :mad:
    Waiting on callback from First Ireland at the mo. Travers quoted me 711 which isn't bad I suppose.
    Allianz were good but won't offer open insurance unless you're over 30 :rolleyes:

Jemmy wrote: »
    Try Travers in Arklow either (040232204), I couldn't get a quote anywhere last year & they quoted me 727 with Aviva who wouldn't even qoute me when I called directly!

Not having much look myself on quotes today sick of hearing sorry we don't insure imports/integras :mad:
    Waiting on callback from First Ireland at the mo. Travers quoted me 711 which isn't bad I suppose.
    Allianz were good but won't offer open insurance unless you're over 30 :rolleyes:

Insurers are legally obliged to quot you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well, one more sad day for me. had to change my sig today. :(

Great scott!!!!!

dgt wrote: »
    11D, maroon coloured, Navan to Dunshaughlin road....?

Edit: Had the pleasure of working on my old Fester last night :D goodness I miss that car!

Owner complained of a rubber top mount gone but wanted the part and a new strut :confused:

I'll get a picture up after but how fast do you have to hit a pothole to smash a shim through a collar???!!! :eek:

No it was an orangy coloured one on the M1.

With regards to hitting a pothole, i'd say its more to do with how deep the pothole was rather then the speed.

Either way, I'd expect other damage if he hit something that hard:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Give it a few years and maybe you can add GTR to the sig', eh? :)

last time i sow it. its now with new owner.

i really got sad, when i got money from my friend. at least i did not sow the new owner doing a burnout and flooring it sideways out of my friends yard... that would destroy me completly.

3.jpg
    Great scott!!!!!

Just back from the NCT with a 12 year old Clio with 108k on it.....straight through with nothing anywhere near the max tolerances:D

Maybe the NCT aren't all that bad after all:P

ShadowHearth, That really brings a tear to my eye. :(

No it was an orangy coloured one on the M1.

With regards to hitting a pothole, i'd say its more to do with how deep the pothole was rather then the speed.

Either way, I'd expect other damage if he hit something that hard:eek:

My new drop link, ball joint and winter tyres I lovingly put on the car in December busted aswell. Made me very, very sad :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have done that myself. Feck em. 
    You could have just rang them up and said you got a cheaper quote from their online form and they always matched it. Save you the hassle of starting a new policy.
    No. They certainly would not match it for me. There was over 500 in the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just paid the following:

Tax on 7er 3 months: €475
    Tax on Alfa 3 months: €135
    Tax on T/A 12 months: €57 (to include one months arrears :D)
    Leccy Bill: €100
    Gas Bill: €100
    Phone Bill: €50

Grand Total: €917

Mortgage Bill on top of all that! :eek:

Oh how I love bills! :mad:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Just paid the following:

I need to get me a classic soon:P

I need to get me a classic soon:P

There was a '79 T/A that looked in fairly good nick down Kilbeggan asking €6750. Maybe it had engine / box issues but that would be no bother to you! I would say you would have driven away in it for €6k! :eek:

Just paid the following:

paying car tax is the most painful for me. just to think that you pay so much for a little piece of paper. :(

it is really crap to pay all in one month though. it works out for me to pay every month at least for 1 car and then i got one month with no bill. i think this month is mondeo bill.

• Advertisement

paying car tax is the most painful for me. just to think that you pay so much for a little piece of paper. :(

it is really crap to pay all in one month though. it works out for me to pay every month at least for 1 car and then i got one month with no bill. i think this month is mondeo bill.

To put it mildly, paying tax is a pain in the bollox - especially on the 7er. I pay more on tax a year then the car is worth now! :mad::mad::mad:

But I do love it! :):):)

There was a '79 T/A that looked in fairly good nick down Kilbeggan asking €6750. Maybe it had engine / box issues but that would be no bother to you! I would say you would have driven away in it for €6k! :eek:

Any links to it that you know of?

79 has the wrong nose but the price...hmmmm. Also depends on the issues:eek:

Edit: this it? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3308444

To put it mildly, paying tax is a pain in the bollox - especially on the 7er. I pay more on tax a year then the car is worth now! :mad::mad::mad:

But I do love it! :):):)

its a fine ass car m8 ;). well worth the money!

lads, just a random question: what sort of american muscle car with classic tax/insurance, you could get around 8k?

lads, just a random question: what sort of american muscle car with classic tax/insurance, you could get around 8k?

Depends, some of the proper classics(mustangs, t/a, corvette etc etc) would be difficult to find in mint condition for under 8K. But you'd find some more oddball stuff for well under that.

I'd say 1976 would give you better info though:P

Yeah, that's the exact one ND :)

Depends, some of the proper classics(mustangs, t/a, corvette etc etc) would be difficult to find in mint condition for under 8K. But you'd find some more oddball stuff for well under that.

I'd say 1976 would give you better info though:P

heh, i will be doing a thread soon ( when misses will be back to ireland from funeral ). so i am looking in to some options before hand. :p

driving bangornomics and having some american muscle as weekend car could be fun. you just cant beat that low tax/insurance by the side of daily driver.

That's the one! ;)
    its a fine ass car m8 ;). well worth the money!

Cheers dude!:)

Anything more than 30 years is €52 to tax, anything registered previous to 1/1/80 is NCT exempt. You'll pick up an ok condition T/A; Camaro; Corvette or Mustang Coupe for that money. I paid €11.5k for mine in 2008 and have done a fair bit of work to it to include new shocks and springs all round, new snowflake wheels and many sets of tyres! :eek:

Have a '77 nose cone and full set of '77 SE Decals ready to fit but will need paint and a little fabrication work done first (bubbles on sills, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

heh, i will be doing a thread soon ( when misses will be back to ireland from funeral ). so i am looking in to some options before hand. :p

driving bangornomics and having some american muscle as weekend car could be fun. you just cant beat that low tax/insurance by the side of daily driver.

Yes you can :p

both_1.jpg

• Advertisement

That's the one! ;)

Cheers dude!:)

Anything more than 30 years is €52 to tax, anything registered previous to 1/1/80 is NCT exempt. You'll pick up an ok condition T/A; Camaro; Corvette or Mustang Coupe for that money. I paid €11.5k for mine in 2008 and have done a fair bit of work to it to include new shocks and springs all round, new snowflake wheels and many sets of tyres! :eek:

Have a '77 nose cone and full set of '77 SE Decals ready to fit but will need paint and a little fabrication work done first (bubbles on sills, etc).

well, you do realise that your answer is useless with no pics of damn thing.... bah, look at him...

*i hope it worked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement