Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

RoverJames wrote: »
    Don't know to be honest, I was stopped at traffic lights and it was coming against me, 'twas as it passed I noticed the colour (was at night), your sticker is still in the back windscreen anyway :)

What sticker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

True OSI as thats what drew me to it + i love the seats on it but i don't have 9k and i don't think i would pay 9k for an almost 7 year old car if im honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I feel a little deflated after successfully getting a car loan i was fretting over for weeks today, now the real fun begins :(

I find myself getting cold feet on 2.6 tax alongside 25mpg too :(

Someone tell me to man up (or send me 2 grand in the post so i can afford to buy MM's MPS !)

Sickener is there is really only 1 Golf GTI (the slightly more sensible option) on DD atm that remotely interests me within any area of my budget.

"Final price drop" hardly seems indicative of someone willing to sell their car for a grand less :p Anyways off to sleep

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3308056

View2-11663882.jpeg

I always thought that I enjoy buying a new car, but since last time I realised that I don't. It's frustrating, stressful, time consuming, money consuming amd list goes on and on.
    I am VERY happy with what I ended up, but the road of getting it was freaking hard and frustrating! It was extra hard, because I did not knew what I want till last minute.
    Good luck I your search. If you test drove everything you wanted and now know that you want a gti, then just stick to it and wait for the right one, or wait for right one to drop its price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

OSI wrote: »

Ah shoosh you. Who needs high revs when you can upshift into more boost in 8ms :eek::D

Been there, done that.I much prefer the revs now. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sickener is there is really only 1 Golf GTI (the slightly more sensible option) on DD atm that remotely interests me within any area of my budget.

Still a Golf though, one of the most popular (ie played out) cars on the road. Just how special will that feel really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I feel a little deflated after successfully getting a car loan i was fretting over for weeks today, now the real fun begins :(

I find myself getting cold feet on 2.6 tax alongside 25mpg too :(

Someone tell me to man up (or send me 2 grand in the post so i can afford to buy MM's MPS !)

Have you driven an ST or GTI yet?

What sticker?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72212348&postcount=2430

Looked like that one in the rear view as it passed, maybe it's not though, the new owner might have something else up :)

draffodx wrote: »
    Have you driven an ST or GTI yet?

4 5er GTI's only been a passenger in an ST.

As for special, not too bothered about that, just want something that is a nice place to be/roomy im 6'2 with abit of power thatisn't huge.

More than likely just gonna buy an ST if it is comparable to drive to the 5er, it's just suprising how your sensibilities start kicking in when the money is on hand :p

4 5er GTI's only been a passenger in an ST.

You need to get in an ST and compare, it'll make your decision making easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Still a Golf though, one of the most popular (ie played out) cars on the road. Just how special will that feel really?
    Don't you drive a 5 series repmobile?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I dunno what it is about the GTI but I would take a Focus ST / MPS / Most other turbo petrols over the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

conzymaher wrote: »
    I dunno what it is about the GTI but I would take a Focus ST / MPS / Most other turbo petrols over the golf.

We just so happen to know of an MPS for sale..... *cough*

conzymaher wrote: »

I think it's because the GTI has almost become the standard Golf these days because you see so many of them around, which is no bad thing, they're obviously the best all round hatch with a bit of power for most people. This just has the negative effect of them being so popular that they no longer stand out from the crowd in anyway.

OSI wrote: »
    Why does any car ever really feel special? It is what you make of it. A GTI feels very different to drive to a regular Golf.
    Cos you only live once, hit by a bus tomorrow etc! If someone goes to the effort and strain of taking out a loan, I think they might want to expand their horizons away from one of the worlds most common cars. Yes its fine, its good, its a nice all-rounder, but jesus people try living a little. IMO.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Don't you drive a 5 series repmobile?
    Lol, no unless you mean my track car, which is a 1995 E34 540i V8. Or my dog lugging car, which is an E34 525i Touring, a Q-car with M3 EVO 3.2 engine. If so, you must consider repmobiles to be awesome? :rolleyes:

I also have 3 other cars, so my critique of a Golf is not based on my need to defend my car(s) unlike most here.

Well for some people living a little bit is having a golf gti and not a golf 1.4. If he wants a gti, then why not?
    Not all of us can afford V8 :)

I also have 3 other cars, so my critique of a Golf is not based on my need to defend my car(s) unlike most here.

How is your E31 after the incident with a truck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

RoverJames wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72212348&postcount=2430

Looked like that one in the rear view as it passed, maybe it's not though, the new owner might have something else up :)

Oh sorry, forgot about that one!

Well for some people living a little bit is having a golf gti and not a golf 1.4. If he wants a gti, then why not?
    Not all of us can afford V8 :)

Well he actually wanted an ST, not a Golf, the Golf is his comfort zone, dont rock the boat fallback car.
    He could easily buy and run any number of V8's with that budget, not that I even suggested one as it wouldnt make sense to someone looking at hot-hatches.

cisk wrote: »
    How is your E31 after the incident with a truck?
    Awaiting the assessor to get the breakdown of the repair bill from Murphy and Gunn, so still slow going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think it's because the GTI has almost become the standard Golf these days because you see so many of them around, which is no bad thing,

+1 on this. My previous apartment block that I lived in was a small complex, there was only 50 apartments. However, at one point there was 6 of the apartments owners who had MKV Golf GTi's! That is a very big proportion!

I test drove the Golf GTi before I bought my Civic Type R. I'm a massive Honda fan (not that it's obvious or anything :pac:) but I had always liked the MKV Golf GTi. I thought it was a lovely car to drive, very comfortable place to be if it was spec'd right (The models that were poverty spec really put me off though, as I might aswell have been sitting in my girlfriends 1.4!), and had a nice bit of poke. However, I just found it a little bit too boring compared to the Civic and that was ultimately what put me off it. But I can see why it has sold so well as it is a very good car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Awaiting the assessor to get the breakdown of the repair bill from Murphy and Gunn, so still slow going.

I missed that - what happened!?! :eek:

Boring isn't such a bad thing.

Way i see it is.

ST will be more expensive t fuel and tax
    ST will be more likely to draw the wrong kind of attention/slightly more boy racer image.
    Interrior on ST is not of the same quality of the golf(GTI has a really nice steering wheel and apart from the ST logo on the ST you could be holding a transit connect steering wheel)
    ST parts would seem to be cheaper but ST also seems to have more small common faults like floor pan/sideskirts falling off and clutch dropping etc.

If this was a weekend car i would be all over the ST, but as it's a daily driver for about 200 miles a week i need to weigh everything up, gah i wish i was working today i have too much time for thinking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Way i see it is.

ST will be more likely to draw the wrong kind of attention/slightly more boy racer image.
    Interrior on ST is not of the same quality of the golf(GTI has a really nice steering wheel and apart from the ST logo on the ST you could be holding a transit connect steering wheel)
    ST parts would seem to be cheaper but ST also seems to have more small common faults like floor pan/sideskirts falling off and clutch dropping etc.

If this was a weekend car i would be all over the ST, but as it's a daily driver for about 200 miles a week i need to weigh everything up, gah i wish i was working today i have too much time for thinking :(

GTI might be a bit more common place, but it certainly fits the bill given the above.

Boring is always a bad thing, but Im not being drawn into yet another ST vs Golf debate. If you want to save some indeterminate amount of money (as virtually all your points skirt around) above all else, then buy the Golf (but there are even more cost effective alternatives)!
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I missed that - what happened!?! :eek:
    Thats cos I didnt post it here!
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37360

Truck driver was delivering office supplies and must have mistaken my V12 repmobile for a customers car.. :pac:

Matt simis, why dont you own ST? The way you praise that lump of metal, I would imagine you got 2 of them as daily drivers and 3 more in storage for kids when they grow up! ;)

Matt simis, why dont you own ST? The way you praise that lump of metal, I would imagine you got 2 of them as daily drivers and 3 more in storage for kids when they grow up! ;)
    I prefer fast estates to hot hatches if I want a practical, fast car. I got pretty much all bases covered now.

• Advertisement

Way i see it is.

I do about 180 miles a week in the ST without issue, 200 miles a week is well within its range without being prohibitively expensive.

I don't get any attention from the boy racers at all either, I'd imagine the GTI would have much more of an issue with this in fact due to it popularity and also the switchover from the jap to the VAG scene by most "boy racers" these days.

The GTI has it's own problems too

Any car with a bit of power will have common faults you'll have to deal with.

The ST wouldn't be a good choice as a weekend car, it's built to be a comfortable cruiser with a nice bit of power. Which seems to fit the bill but you seem to be looking for excuses not to buy one?

I prefer fast estates to hot hatches if I want a practical, fast car. I got pretty much all bases covered now.

So why can't you get over it then? Let the man buy his gti and enjoy it. He prefers a hatchback which is fast and fun, but sensible too. In the end of the day he just prefers GTI, not ST.

He does not tell you to buy octavia vrs sedan? :)

So why can't you get over it then? Let the man buy his gti and enjoy it. He prefers a hatchback which is fast and fun, but sensible too. In the end of the day he just prefers GTI, not ST.

What are you on about? I didnt even advocate buying an ST!? And again, to point out the obvious, he doesnt prefer the GTI over the ST. He is retreating from an outside the box choice back to a predicable and safe choice instead. Why do I reply? Cos Im against this type of sheepish me too mentality.

Should we all just pat each other on the back for every bland choice?

But jimbob hasn't stated that, in fact in his posts he has stated that he acknowledges the GTI would be the boring choice for him and that he would rather buy something different like an ST or MPS but that something is holding him back.

He definitely doesn't stat that he prefers the GTI. From his posts I get the impression he is more resigned to getting the GTI rather than excited about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

While the ST might be a better choice than the Golf, the fact remains he could probably tax and insure the Golf for the price of Tax on the ST.

• Advertisement

What are you on about? I didnt even advocate buying an ST!? And again, to point out the obvious, he doesnt prefer the GTI over the ST. He is retreating from an outside the box choice back to a predicable and safe choice instead. Why do I reply? Cos Im against this type of sheepish me too mentality.

Should we all just pat each other on the back for every bland choice?

If he would be "jizz in my pants ST is most awesome car!!!! I want it!!! I want it!!!!!! Though that tax is way too high :(", then I would agree with your point. Unfortunately he just "likes" it amd it would be a nice option.
    He did not felt in love with it, if he is still considering other option. Just because gti is popular does not make it a bad car. I would not advocate both of those cars, but nothing wrong with him choosing gti, over st.

While the ST might be a better choice than the Golf, the fact remains he could probably tax and insure the Golf for the price of Tax on the ST.

With the ST being much cheaper to buy in the first place, it wont be that big a difference for the initial year at least.

And there's always Mazda 3 MPS, Opel Astra OPC etc ... as alternative choices.

I think JimBob needs to rethink his criteria, find a selection of cars within budget and test drive them to see if any of them are worth going for the none sensible option over the sensible option of a Golf.

Of course in rethinking his criteria he may find that the GTI is the only option open to him in which case it's not a bad thing to be settling for a car as good as a MK V GTI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

In fairness he was leaning towards an ST for quite a while and he's not even driven one yet. So it's possibly safe to say he hasn't even had a chance to fall in love with it yet. ;)

Alas, I'm not getting involved in one of these debates either, it all boils down to tax yet again and whether you're willing to pay it or not. :)

dar83 wrote: »
    In fairness he was leaning towards an ST for quite a while and he's not even driven one yet. So it's possibly safe to say he hasn't even had a chance to fall in love with it yet. ;)

Alas, I'm not getting involved in one of these debates either, it all boils down to tax yet again and whether you're willing to pay it or not. :)

in all fairness i am not for one or another car, i am for OP choice in the end of the day. If he prefers one option to another, then why not? the reasons for that choice are completely his own business. In this case he wants a good all arounder with small bit more fun, then 1.4 paddy spec bean tin.

what i suspect, that OP does not know himself 100% what he wants. He is not sold on any of two options 100%, so i would not be surprised if by the time all his quest for new car will end, there will be not just option A and B, but Option C, D and E.

ST: Tax €1204 Insurance €538 + €47 NCB protection /// Total €1789 p/a

GTI: Tax €660 Insurance €538 + €47 NCB protection /// Total €1245 p/a

That wouldn't be the main thing though, i have this awful feeling tax will go up alot in the next budget and i might be stuck with something i won't be able to sell(god i sound like my dad :p)

I dunno, Heart says ST(Need to drive one this week to be sure) but head says Golf but not gonna spend that kind of money on a 05 (i know a guy selling a 05 with almost 90,000 miles but it has upgrades intake/miltek system/r32 brake pads/braided hoses etc and came with every extra new but 90k + almost 8 years old is madness for almost 8 grand tbh)

Here will someone pm me an address i can send my money to while i curl up in a ball under my blankets and wait for my new chariot to arrive ?

This was so much more fun when it was all theoretical :pac:

With the ST being much cheaper to buy in the first place, it wont be that big a difference for the initial year at least.

1st year paying Insurance up front, selling 2002 Octavia in the month or so after i buy hopefully and then will lump on a full years tax (before the next budget) with what i get so i have both on the backburner for a year

Anyway im gonna stop jabbering

trust me, it will be even worse, when you will get 8k eu in cash to pay for the car and hold it in your hand. you wont need any car at all and all you will want to do is put that under pillow and bark at anything that walks pass :p

trust me, it will be even worse, when you will get 8k eu in cash to pay for the car and hold it in your hand. you wont need any car at all and all you will want to do is put that under pillow and bark at anything that walks pass :p

sadface.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thats cos I didnt post it here!
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37360

Truck driver was delivering office supplies and must have mistaken my V12 repmobile for a customers car.. :pac:

Sorry to hear that Matt! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Here will someone pm me an address i can send my money to while i curl up in a ball under my blankets and wait for my new chariot to arrive ?

Lodge it in Ulster Bank and you wont have to worry about it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jimbob, send it to:

Der MetzgerMeister,
    No. 2.3,
    DISI Turbo,
    4 Wheel Drive,,
    Co. Mazda.
    MPS 260

:pac:

Oh, how I wish I still had the octavia.I'm moving house next week and tbh the s2000's boot isn't up to much.Don't think I'll manage to get the tv in there somehow. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

YOu'd only end up breaking down half way to the new gaff if you still had the Octy....

YOu'd only end up breaking down half way to the new gaff if you still had the Octy....

That's very true.

Just get a boot mounted rack for the S2K, job done.

50 inch tv. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Or get an Octy and move into it....

Antares wrote: »
    Or get an Octy and move into it....

I nearly would...but I had one for 2 years, was an awful piece of ****.

• Advertisement

50 inch tv. :pac:

Bubble wrap. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement