Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My kind of criminal

• 30-04-2012 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/100140-czech-police-wonder-where-bridge-has-gone

Police in the Czech republic are trying to find out who stole a 4 tonne railway bridge from the border town of Cheb.
    The company which was responsible for looking after the bridge raised the alarm when, ever alert, they noticed that the bridge wasn't there any more.
    The bridge was on a disused stretch of line just outside Cheb.
    Martina Hruskova, a spokeswoman for the Czech police, commented to AFP: 'We are not sure if it was taken for personal use or for its scrap value.' Exactly what that 'personal use' might be was left unsaid.
    'It is the first time we have dealt with this type of theft,' she added.
    Of course, it's not the first time some light-fingered bridge enthusiast has made off with a bridge. At least two bridges have been nicked in Russia in the past six months, and a pair of bridge thieves appropriated two Macedonian bridges last February.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Consequences of telling your mate to build a bridge....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Good luck trying to sell that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

They should have gotten over it by now.

Jeeeez. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

maybe someone just wanted to get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Scrap metal boss? Only four tonnes left..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A bridge too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The of Madison County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

hmmm... i wonder how much i'd get for the ha'penny bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Good luck trying to sell that:D

Well, they'll cross that bridge when they come to it.

Either that or steal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The regularly find tonnes of stolen scrap metal in Poland. Railway tracks are a popular earner.

This was in the news a few weeks ago. A lorry containing 14,000kg of prawns was left at the side of a road. The lorry was still there but the contents was stolen!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17780622

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Perhaps they got invited over to a friend's house for a game of bridge ,,,, and decided to bring along their own deck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

They clearly need to Czech their bridges more often.
    Police are now urgently searching for a gang of arch-criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

So many puns, so little time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

He's playing the long game, next time his mate says something outrageously gullible he will actually offer him a bridge to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down...

la la la la la la la

(the puns going on here are hilarious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stealing a bridge would be easy if you knew what you were at. What I am getting at is... who on earth would think you were stealing it, even while you were doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I guess that town is going to have to build a bridge and get over it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I guess they took the initiative when the bank refused to give them a bridge loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I can just imagine a Czech version of Dougal looking shocked when he saw the bridge was gone. Although there's a big difference between a corner flag and a bridge in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Where will all the Czech Trolls go now that their bridge is no more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

What I am getting at is... who on earth would think you were stealing it, even while you were doing it.

True. I remember hearing a story about a con man who sold the Eiffel Tower to a poor unsuspecting sap. If you look like you know what you're at, you can do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

"Hey bossman, would ya buy a bridge der? Suits ya grand, it does..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Feeona wrote: »
    True. I remember hearing a story about a con man who sold the Eiffel Tower to a poor unsuspecting sap. If you look like you know what you're at, you can do anything!

Remember the story of the Texas? millionaire who purchased & had the old London Bridge shipped back piece by piece and erected on his estate. Then disappointed to realize it was not the classic Tower Bridge as he expected!:D True story apparently.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Remember the story of the Texas? millionaire who purchased & had the old London Bridge shipped back piece by piece and erected on his estate. Then disappointed to realize it was not the classic Tower Bridge as he expected!:D True story apparently.

At the time i did wonder at the purchase i remember well and you may have explained
    what seemed a ridiculous idea to a much younger me . THANKS !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

The regularly find tonnes of stolen scrap metal in Poland. Railway tracks are a popular earner.

This was in the news a few weeks ago. A lorry containing 14,000kg of prawns was left at the side of a road. The lorry was still there but the contents was stolen!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17780622

Something fishy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Stealing a bridge would be easy if you knew what you were at. What I am getting at is... who on earth would think you were stealing it, even while you were doing it.
    Feeona wrote: »
    True. ... If you look like you know what you're at, you can do anything!

This is getting to be more frequent from what I am hearing. What is worse is that people don't ask questions when they see people doing something they think is out of line even in a premises/shop/any commercial setting. Someone walks in acting like they know what they are doing, acting all professional-like, says 'yes I know where I am going and what I need to do' and with no further questions asked by the staff before they know it, items have been stolen and they are surprised! Shame really that people don't ask more questions in scenarios like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

kerry4sam wrote:
    Someone walks in acting like they know what they are doing, acting all professional-like, says 'yes I know where I am going and what I need to do'.
    This has served me well in work for years..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Imo same people responsible for all these thefts; this is their 5th bridge in 6months; that's some track record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Have they brought Mary McAleese in for questioning? Prime suspect ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Several km of a Greek railway disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

I heard a rumor this all started with petty stuff* and quickly got out of hand with bigger stuff*.

*Like shoplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Anyone looking to buy a bridge ? Maybe swap for a few K's of Hash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

TL;DR

Is there an abridged version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A too far.

Nothing to see here...

• Advertisement
Advertisement