Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Developments in ICBF Beef €uro-Stars

• 30-04-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Any thoughts on the new €urostar indices.

Three new indices to replace SBV from Autumn.

1. Terminal
    2. Maternal
    3. Dairy Beef

Outcomes.
    • New terminal index.
    • New maternal index.
    – For selection of bulls and replacement
    females.
    – Maternal = Maternal Cow + Terminal.
    • No requirement for an overall index.

http://www.icbf.com/publications/files/Euro_Star_Review_26042012.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks, had a quick scan through, is weaning weight being left out in the proposal? It also seems to be preferring lighter cows, this suits me but not everybody (breed societies?) will like it.

Also this year we have an option to grade beef cows on how milky they are, any ideas how do we do this accurately?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks, had a quick scan through, is weaning weight being left out in the proposal? It also seems to be preferring lighter cows, this suits me but not everybody (breed societies?) will like it.

Also this year we have an option to grade beef cows on how milky they are, any ideas how do we do this accurately?

Accurately i dunno :confused:.
    I suppose take certain batches of calves with the same Sire . Grass and milk diet only and weigh animals at different stages and then at weaning . Then see the liveweight gain throughout ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I suppose it's just a different way of looking at the same data. I hope they don't get rid of the Weaning Index. If you sell weaanling, then it is the most relevant figure. They are changing the maternal figures to € / progeny too which makes sense.
    I like the idea too of a specific Dairy Beef index which will encourage a greater use of BEEF sires in dairy herds.
    ICBF are constantly changing the way they present the figures and in fairness each time they do make an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

How is the milk figure calculated ? , or have they changed the way its calculated, some bulls have had mad swings in their figures over the last two years sometimes with just a one percent change in reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I know now, they are talking about recording weights at 3 months old. That is before creep feeding starts. I've no idea how they estimated milk before that. You're right, they have been huge swings. The Saler bull, RIO for example, went from 1 star to 4 stars for milk between April & Aug 2010, while the Reliability figure stayed the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Fair play there is a hell of a lot of work in what the icbf are trying to accomplish but the swings in the figures especially in younger bulls just doesn't inspire any confidence in their assessments.
    When you look at the program the french have in place for limousin bulls it leaves you thinking..........
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/french_progeny_testing.html

Advertisement