Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing a tub tyre

• 30-04-2012 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

I need to replace a punctured tub on my rear Zipp404 which is glued on. Given the fact it was glued on previously does that rule out using glue tape? What works best, glue or tape? Any tips greatly appreciated as i will probably make a mess of changing it over:rolleyes:

Alterntaively any kind hearted souls that have done one before i could always exchange a nice hamper of goodies for your troubles:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I need to replace a punctured tub on my rear Zipp404 which is glued on. Given the fact it was glued on previously does that rule out using glue tape? What works best, glue or tape? Any tips greatly appreciated as i will probably make a mess of changing it over:rolleyes:

Alterntaively any kind hearted souls that have done one before i could always exchange a nice hamper of goodies for your troubles:)

I'm changing tubs soon if you want to learn...........

Basically tape == "fast to do" but tape == "bad"

Carefully remove the old tyre, it will require force but not blind brute force.
    If the glue that is left over is clumpy and dirty you will have to clean it -a plastic scrapper, (plastic is important) and acetone and elbow grease are required.

Have the new tyre stretching on a spare rim (I bought one for a tenner)

Clean and dry the rim.
    Apply thin layer of glue, leave over night
    Repeat the next day. This time add a layer of glue to the tyre.
    Next day add a layer of glue to the rim, let it dry until it is tacky. Mount the tyre. Be aware if you are using contis (and I believe you are) its a tough hard fit. contis are tight. Get it on and make sure it is centred. This can take some time.

Somehow I think I'll be doing more than my tyres.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    I'm changing tubs soon if you want to learn...........

Basically tape == "fast to do" but tape == "bad"

Carefully remove the old tyre, it will require force but not blind brute force.
    If the glue that is left over is clumpy and dirty you will have to clean it -a plastic scrapper, (plastic is important) and acetone and elbow grease are required.

Have the new tyre stretching on a spare rim (I bought one for a tenner)

Clean and dry the rim.
    Apply thin layer of glue, leave over night
    Repeat the next day. This time add a layer of glue to the tyre.
    Next day add a layer of glue to the rim, let it dry until it is tacky. Mount the tyre. Be aware if you are using contis (and I believe you are) its a tough hard fit. contis are tight. Get it on and make sure it is centred. This can take some time.

Somehow I think I'll be doing more than my tyres.........

Good post i especially like the last bolded part. I will get them down to you:)

EDIT: Just to add, i assume glue tape if you get a flat in an IM race, any other distance its probably park up and go home?

Good post i especially like the last bolded part. I will get them down to you:)

EDIT: Just to add, i assume glue tape if you get a flat in an IM race, any other distance its probably park up and go home?

Glue tape????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Glue tape????

This stuff I had assumed you had heard of it before. I heard using glue is better but surely in a race this would be a quick and easy way to get going again.

Should have went with clinchers to save all this messing:)

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »

Would be far too bumpy with all those flies on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You changing those tubs tonight by any chance? Given I just purchased tubs I could do with a lesson too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

contis are tight.

Thats for sure.

I followed this mans friendly advice when I replaced my tyres a month or so ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-ND_wX-UU

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnM77

I recently bought tubs and used them for the first time a couple of weeks ago in a race. Lo and behold I got a puncture. It is a very slow puncture - takes about 24-36 hours to be fully deflated. I'm wondering would I get away with this in a race as:

a - I would be useless at changing the tub as above and would make a complete balls of it

b - i only got the thing, used it once so would like to avoid shelling out for another one unless i absolutely have to

Anyone reckon I'd be ok to race on it with the slow puncture or should i bite the bullet and get a new one? Only plan on doing sprints and olympics this year so no long races involved.

Thanks

JohnM77 wrote: »
    I recently bought tubs and used them for the first time a couple of weeks ago in a race. Lo and behold I got a puncture. It is a very slow puncture - takes about 24-36 hours to be fully deflated. I'm wondering would I get away with this in a race as:

a - I would be useless at changing the tub as above and would make a complete balls of it

b - i only got the thing, used it once so would like to avoid shelling out for another one unless i absolutely have to

Anyone reckon I'd be ok to race on it with the slow puncture or should i bite the bullet and get a new one? Only plan on doing sprints and olympics this year so no long races involved.

Thanks

If its a small hole and if the tubs are have removable cores get some Stans No More Tubes and stick some in and that *might* seal the hole

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip. Was a problem with the valve/valve extensions in the end and got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

JohnM77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Was a problem with the valve/valve extensions in the end and got it sorted.

Any details?

I found my tub flat on Sunday after racing Saturday also.

Pump it up and it holds pressure, but slowly deflates then over a few hours.

The valve extender is loose and can be pushed into the tyre if you get me.
    When I'm pumping it up, it gets pushed out so to speak.
    Tried tightening it last night but same thing.

Am now thinking whatever the valve extender gets attached too has a leak/problem.

Anyone able to diagnose this before I bring it in to shop?

Fazz wrote: »
    Any details?

Am now thinking whatever the valve extender gets attached too has a leak/problem.

Have you the type of valve extenders that just screws on over the existing valve?

Have you the type of valve extenders that just screws on over the existing valve?

Yes I think so.
    Have the Zipp valve extenders.

They were loose before and wouldn't hold pressure.
    Fixed this by tightening the extender onto the valve.

I guess the extender is now either just fecked, or else another problem?

Sounds like first port of call is to swap the extender with my other one to see then?
    Tad reluctant to remove the front one as its obviously got a good seal and not sure they are easy to keep.
    Either way I'll try replace valve extender and see so thanks.

Any details?

I have the valve extensions as Tunney describes - they just screw on over the valve. A mate gave me a little tool that you can use to tighten both the original valve and the extension. I tried this and it didn't work, air was still getting out even after tightening them a good bit. In the end I brought it to the shop and they took the tub off and unscrewed the extensions. They couldn't find anything wrong so they just screwed them back together, glued back on the tub and hey presto they were fixed! I raced with them on Saturday and have had no problems since. So neither I or the lads in the shop (Base 2 Race) know what was wrong but it seems unscrewing them and putting them back together worked for whatever reason.

Yes I think so.
    Have the Zipp valve extenders.

They were loose before and wouldn't hold pressure.
    Fixed this by tightening the extender onto the valve.

I guess the extender is now either just fecked, or else another problem?

Sounds like first port of call is to swap the extender with my other one to see then?
    Tad reluctant to remove the front one as its obviously got a good seal and not sure they are easy to keep.
    Either way I'll try replace valve extender and see so thanks.

Did you put plumbers tape on the extender before you screwed it on?

Did you put plumbers tape on the extender before you screwed it on?

Nope and it was working fine without it.
    There was some remains of tape around it when I was tightening it but not much.

If the valve extender is the issue, would it be the case that I'd lose that much air just from the main valve being open per say?

I know/have heard that tubs do lose pressure faster than clinchers.

It sounds like I need to unscrew valve extender, apply plumbers tape and try tighten it back on so?

I might try this myself as the tyre i have on i cannot see a puncture anywhere so it might be the same issue as it deflates really quick.

Nope and it was working fine without it.
    There was some remains of tape around it when I was tightening it but not much.

If the valve extender is the issue, would it be the case that I'd lose that much air just from the main valve being open per say?

I know/have heard that tubs do lose pressure faster than clinchers.

It sounds like I need to unscrew valve extender, apply plumbers tape and try tighten it back on so?

Tubs to not loose air quicker than clinchers.

Latex tubes in any type of tyre loose air quicker than a butyl one. This is probably what you heard :)

The screw on extenders are a bad idea.

The screw on extenders are a bad idea.

What should one use instead?

• Advertisement

What should one use instead?

removeable core ones!

removeable core ones!

Ah, so you mean ones where you remove the nipple from the top of the existing valve and use this at the end of the extender? You still screw the extender into what remains of the original valve, so this may have been causing confusion here. If not, then maybe I've just added to the confusion!

Ah, so you mean ones where you remove the nipple from the top of the existing valve and use this at the end of the extender? You still screw the extender into what remains of the original valve, so this may have been causing confusion here. If not, then maybe I've just added to the confusion!

yes.

yes.

Cheers, thats what I have.

Time to see if my tub replacing skills are up to scratch tomorrow. Those contis are bloody tight to get on!!

Advertisement