Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw keeps cutting out ?

• 30-04-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just thought I'd ask, I know, really ought to get it serviced but I ain't got no beans.... Anyone any idea why my chainsaw keeps cutting out ?

Choke out, start, set to normal works for about 20 seconds (max) then stops. Re-Choked, same again.

Had it to bits and cleaned the inlet filters etc but still happening. Double checked the mixture, all looks ok... I'm not mechanical really but I'm guessing its something blocked but no idea where ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spencer024

Is the spark plug damp or fairly old, have know them to break down when revs are high!!

But also saw wont start with bad plug, only costs about 2.50 for a replacement, def the first port of call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

leave to choke in a bit longer, then out and in for about 5 seconds each for a minute or so, don't try and rev will doin this, if its startin at all then the plug is probably fine,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

If the mixture has been in it for months, change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

1.618 wrote: »
    If the mixture has been it for months, change it.

Beaten me too it "Fresh fuel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What did the fuel pump gasket look like when you cleaned the carb?
    They commonly go hard and fail to pump enough fuel for any kind of throttle opening.
    That or the hoses from the fuel tank can crack and allow air in with the same symptoms you describe.
    Check them and the in-tank filter as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Hi All

Many Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it.
    Fuel is fresh and mix is correct. Saw starts fine, initially thought it was not enough choke but its fine for about 20 seconds when you think its fully warmed up and go 'a cuttin' it just stops the minute you get any resistance on the blade :mad: It's kinda maddening actually as a restart, even choked, fails. The only thing you can do is leave it a minute or so and it starts again.. Woohoo! then...D'Oh!...

I gave it a thorough clean and did'nt really see any signs of cracked hoses, didn't look at the gasket but will pull it apart again and give it a good look over now I know what to look for a bit more.

Thanks again.

Advertisement