Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer Switch

Options
  • 30-04-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Can you get a timer switch for your immersion that can control both bath and sink element.

If anyone can recommend one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

not that i know of... But you could use a digital 2 channel clock and use 2 contactors...its a bit of a messy solution but i dont know of a clock that will do what u are lookin for out of the box...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

not that i know of... But you could use a digital 2 channel clock and use 2 contactors...its a bit of a messy solution but i dont know of a clock that will do what u are lookin for out of the box...

I have seen single channel immersion timers, are they designed for single element immersions ? Or do you put the timer before the switch?
    Never thought of the 2 channel idea, I'll have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

best to install the clock before the immersion switch
    you will never have the 2 elements on at the same time anyway
    make sure the timer is rated to take the immersion load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

a standard 2 channel timer and contactors won't work as you'd still need a changeover switch to prevent bath+sink being on simultaneously

the economy 7 type timer will do it but it's designed specifically for dual-tarriff

you could use a central heating 2 channel digital clock thats rated for 3amps or so and let the contactors switch the load for you. Its messy as i said and dont really see when u wud need the sink on and then the bath and then the bath again and then the sink etc without using the water and just flicking the immersion switch over from bath to sink or vice versa is the easiest way and using a one channel apt timer. But if you do want the choice to be able to set it as requested then thats a solution to it, all be it a round about way...

• Advertisement

simplest is usually the single channel timer timer and immersion switch alright

the 2 channel and contactors would prob work alright if they were interlocked using a pair of n/c+n/o 2-pole contactors

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

you could use a central heating 2 channel digital clock thats rated for 3amps or so and let the contactors switch the load for you. Its messy as i said and dont really see when u wud need the sink on and then the bath and then the bath again and then the sink etc without using the water and just flicking the immersion switch over from bath to sink or vice versa is the easiest way and using a one channel apt timer. But if you do want the choice to be able to set it as requested then thats a solution to it, all be it a round about way...

When I think about it your right. Never going to be switching between sink and bath that much.
    Think I'll go the standard way and be done with it.
    Some nice digital timers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Can you get a timer switch for your immersion that can control both bath and sink element.

If anyone can recommend one.

Yes you can, I got one a couple of years back, and it has saved me a small fortune. It's a digital electronic timer rated for use with an emmersion, with up to three on/off settings in any twentyfour hour period, and a boost button for 1/2hr 1hr and 2hr periods. I got a "sangamo power saver" but I'm sure any decent electrical retailer will help you with one. I paid around €50 as far as I can remember, I put it in before the switch, so I have to select sink or bath.

http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Sangamo-Programmable-Immersion-Time-Switch-with-Boost-Control/1159/100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There is no point to it anyway. All you have to do is heat with the bath element for 2/3 of the time it takes the bath element to heat the full tank, to get the same effect as swtching on the sink element.

So sink element for 1 hour, would be similar to bath element for 40 minutes.

How does that sangamo timer switch between sink and bath? I dont think it does. Its still a one channel clock but just digital, but it is a nice and easy to use clock...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

How does that sangamo timer switch between sink and bath? I dont think it does. Its still a one channel clock but just digital, but it is a nice and easy to use clock...

I think the poster was thinking that the question asked was can a timer be got for a dual immersion maybe, rather than one that times each element separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Your right, it doesn't. I did say I have to select sink or bath. The OP didn't specifically ask for a timer to select sink or bath automatically. Puting the timer before the switch also makes it convenient to turn the emmersion "off" when you don't need it for a while, without changing all your timer settings, via the normal on/off switch.

from my reading it sounds like the OP is asking for a timer to automatically control sink and bath as he states can u get a timer that can control both bath and sink elements... Maybe i'm reading too much into it....

an ordinary 2 channel setup isnt safe in case anyone attempts it

thats why i stated to use contactors to take the load instead of the 2 channel clock...

yes but they have to be interlocked in some way
    it can be done with 2 pole n/c n/o

yes i totally agree with the interlock....

way too much work anyhow

sangamo do a timer called dual flexi
    i think

bath timed and boost sink

similar to the fixed setting economy 7 type afaik

you wouldnt need anything more elaborate with a dual immersion

Advertisement