Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift card lost in Post, rights to a replacement?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Bought a gift card for Zara for €50, one of those ones like an ATM card. Posted it to the recipient but it was never received, and hasn't been returned to the return address I wrote on the envelope. I have the receipt from Zara with the card number and balance, can I get the card cancelled and re-issued? According to the legal definition is it a bearer instrument? Zara say on their UK website that lost or stolen vouchers won't be replaced but is that valid under Irish law? Lastly if I get the store to check if it has been spent (I.e. it's been stolen and used) can I get the guards to request CCTV footage wtc to see who spent it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Arciphel wrote: »
    Bought a gift card for Zara for €50, one of those ones like an ATM card. Posted it to the recipient but it was never received, and hasn't been returned to the return address I wrote on the envelope. I have the receipt from Zara with the card number and balance, can I get the card cancelled and re-issued? According to the legal definition is it a bearer instrument? Zara say on their UK website that lost or stolen vouchers won't be replaced but is that valid under Irish law? Lastly if I get the store to check if it has been spent (I.e. it's been stolen and used) can I get the guards to request CCTV footage wtc to see who spent it? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    You should be able to get the card cancelled and re-issued but do it ASAP in case the thieves try to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

That's the plan alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can ask, but they are under no obligation to re-issue it for you. There are no laws governing vouchers, and whatever the T&Cs state is what you must accept. Even though you have the receipt, can you prove that you didn't just find it? How are Zara to know that you didn't fish that out of a bin, and that the rightful owner of the voucher is out there waiting to spend it. They may not want to cancel it, because they may not believe you (and why should they?).

The Gardai would not be interested in this at all because you can't prove that it was stolen in the post. Even if you could prove a crime was committed, this would be such a low priority that it will never be investigated.

If you get nowhere with Zara, there is very little else you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

unless it was registered post you have no come back with on post.

my mother had the same problem. sent €50 in a birthday card and it never arrived:eek:

Advertisement