Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Money issues...

Options
  • 30-04-2012 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey need a bit of help here. My landlady is trying to take all my deposit money and all of my house mates as well. Question is, am I able to egt my full deposit back considering that I never signed any Tenant's Agreement? Would I be void of paying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

pjcollins wrote: »
    Hey need a bit of help here. My landlady is trying to take all my deposit money and all of my house mates as well. Question is, am I able to egt my full deposit back considering that I never signed any Tenant's Agreement? Would I be void of paying?

No you would not as I am sure you would of had a verbal contract.

What is the landlord deducting for? Make sure you get receipts for everything she buys or repairs she carries out.

Was an inventory taken at the start of the tenancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Talk to Threshold - www.threshold.ie

Not signing a lease doesn't change the fact that you paid a deposit.

Check if the landlord registered your tenancy with the PRTB though. If they didn't they could face a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Why is she trying to keep it all, did she give you any reasons

As for tenancy agreements, that makes no difference tbh

However if she is trying to pull a fast one you can contact the PRTB and report her if she hasn't registered the tenancy then she is in for a hefty fines and they can pursue her for the deposit - no help if you need it for moving as it takes a while but better than letting her away with it

You can also get in touch with Threshold and tell them, they can ring her for you and make her aware of what she is and is not allowed to deduct from your deposit - any damage about the normal wear and tear is allowed but receipts need to be shown to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pjcollins

Firstly I am saying that I was 17 at the time of the contracts so there was no possible way for me to have signed up for one.

Also, both my housemates got letters from the PRTB saying that they were registered but I didn't get any. I really don't know what to do here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Did you landlady know you where 17, and I take it your not anymore

regardless you didnt sign a contract so what does it matter the fact is there has to be a reason she is trying to keep your deposit and the fact you are not disclosing rings alarm bells

• Advertisement

How much of a deposit did you pay?
    What is the landlord saying they are keeping the deposit for?

Not having signed a contract is not some magical 'get out of paying for damage' trick.

edellc wrote: »
    Why is she trying to keep it all, did she give you any reasons

As for tenancy agreements, that makes no difference tbh

However if she is trying to pull a fast one you can contact the PRTB and report her if she hasn't registered the tenancy then she is in for a hefty fines and they can pursue her for the deposit - no help if you need it for moving as it takes a while but better than letting her away with it

You can also get in touch with Threshold and tell them, they can ring her for you and make her aware of what she is and is not allowed to deduct from your deposit - any damage about the normal wear and tear is allowed but receipts need to be shown to you

All for apparent damage to walls that was easily cleaned off with a bit of water, TV fair enough, and the oven was a bit dirty. She didn't do an inventory check either so is she able to charge for ''lost items'' ?

Firstly I am saying that I was 17 at the time of the contracts so there was no possible way for me to have signed up for one.

Also, both my housemates got letters from the PRTB saying that they were registered but I didn't get any. I really don't know what to do here

Answer me this, does she have a reason to keep the deposit? Did you break stuff or cause damage to the house.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    How much of a deposit did you pay?
    What is the landlord saying they are keeping the deposit for?

Not having signed a contract is not some magical 'get out of paying for damage' trick.

I paid a 300 euro deposit for the 9 months. Oh I know that, it's just that me and my housemates think she is trying to screw us out of the deposits so we're trying to fight our side.

Like she wants to charge us for an inspector in to value the house for her!:eek:

Limericks wrote: »
    Answer me this, does she have a reason to keep the deposit? Did you break stuff or cause damage to the house.

No, nothing except the television which I'm replacing personally. No damage otherwise done to the house which justifies her keeping the entire 1200 euro deposit put down by all of us.

• Advertisement

I paid a 300 euro deposit for the 9 months. Oh I know that, it's just that me and my housemates think she is trying to screw us out of the deposits so we're trying to fight our side.

Like she wants to charge us for an inspector in to value the house for her!:eek:

You need to talk to Threshold. They're there to help.

She can keep money for damage to the house. She cannot keep money for anything that would be classed as "normal wear and tear". You mentioned a TV - did the TV get broken? If so she's entitled to buy another of the same value with your deposit.

No, nothing except the television which I'm replacing personally. No damage otherwise done to the house which justifies her keeping the entire 1200 euro deposit put down by all of us.

Well then make sure you get an itemized invoice for all work she thinks she needs to have done and then let her know you will be taken it up with threshold and the PRTB as you feel hard pressed on what she thinks you are liable for.

If you are going to replace the TV that you broke then she cannot charge you for that as long as the TV is of same or greater specification as the one you broke.

She is just chancing her arm and a little but of a push on her in the right direction should get your deposit back.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You need to talk to Threshold. They're there to help.

She can keep money for damage to the house. She cannot keep money for anything that would be classed as "normal wear and tear". You mentioned a TV - did the TV get broken? If so she's entitled to buy another of the same value with your deposit.

Yeah it did get broken but by a fuse that blew due to it being one of the oldest TV's ever. I'm replacing it anyways with a better one so she can't possibly charge for that?

Limericks wrote: »
    Well then make sure you get an itemized invoice for all work she thinks she needs to have done and then let her know you will be taken it up with threshold and the PRTB as you feel hard pressed on what she thinks you are liable for.

If you are going to replace the TV that you broke then she cannot charge you for that as long as the TV is of same or greater specification as the one you broke.

She is just chancing her arm and a little but of a push on her in the right direction should get your deposit back.

Yeah I'm replacing it with a better one alright, so that's alright.

Yeah I'm going to have to talk to Threshold about this, thanks for the help!

Yeah it did get broken but by a fuse that blew due to it being one of the oldest TV's ever. I'm replacing it anyways with a better one so she can't possibly charge for that?

If the fuse blew and it was not your fault for example by spilling liquid into it then it is not your problem. It is wear and tear. Don't replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your problems seems VERY like
    keithb93 wrote: »
    Somehow beer was spilt on the wall and wax was put on the sittingroom wall. It took us a few months but we cleaned it off but now the landlady said because it wasn't cleaned in time, she is charging us to get the walls repainted.

We also broke the tv because someone spilt beer on it. She is is charging us for a new tv even though it didn't have buttons and we had to stick in a pen to change the channel.
    Are you and Keithb93 in the same house?

the_syco wrote: »
    Your problems seems VERY like

Are you and Keithb93 in the same house?

Yeah we are but I'm in a totally different situation and honestly, he has exaggerated things a tad too much :mad:

Advertisement