Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Americans Generally Shorter Than Most Europeans??

• 30-04-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Everytime I've been abroad I can't help but notice Americans generally being quite a bit shorter than their european counterparts. Now it depends on what european nations you're talking about. Not southern european nations but more northern european nations like Holland, Germany, Scandinavia, eastern europe etc.

I'm a 5'8 male, so I'm pretty small guy but when I was some of those countries I couldn't help but notice how TALL some of those people were. I would say at least 50% of the women with heels on were taller than me. I felt so intimidated and so shrimpish compared to back home.

Yet when I meet Americans abroad they seem a bit shorter, I was in Sydney and all the American tourists (and there was a lot of them) seemed a bit dwarfish compared to some of the european people. Even Black Americans etc. I think a lot of the european women were looking down at them thinking pfft.

I guess we all stereotypically think Americans are huge because of the NFL, Basketball, Wrestling, Hollywood playing roles bigger than they actually are etc. But it appears to me Americans really aren't that tall of a nation, even Irish people I would say are potentially bigger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Is that around the waist or height? Cause they can be pretty big around the waist.

If you feel insecure about your height don't go to Holland, they are fucking giants....and they talk funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Holland average the tallest in the world, I believe.

I'm 6ft on the button.

I've noticed Americans seem to be chunkier people, and their heads are generally huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Is that around the waist or height? Cause they can be pretty big around the waist.

If you feel insecure about your height don't go to Holland, they are fucking giants....and they talk funny.

That always amazes me, I am 6.2 but I feel I am very average height over there. Even the women are very tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Its probably because a lot of them are fat and so they look smaller, a thin 5'8 man will look a lot taller than a fat 5'8 man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Surely the same good living standards and access to lorry loads of food which make Americans wide, would also contribute to them growing tall as well.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gnobe wrote: »
    Everytime I've been abroad I can't help but notice Americans generally being quite a bit shorter than their european counterparts. Now it depends on what european nations you're talking about. Not southern european nations but more northern european nations like Holland, Germany, Scandinavia, eastern europe etc.

I'm a 5'8 male, so I'm pretty small guy but when I was some of those countries I couldn't help but notice how TALL some of those people were. I would say at least 50% of the women with heels on were taller than me. I felt so intimidated and so shrimpish compared to back home.

Yet when I meet Americans abroad they seem a bit shorter, I was in Sydney and all the American tourists (and there was a lot of them) seemed a bit dwarfish compared to some of the european people. Even Black Americans etc. I think a lot of the european women were looking down at them thinking pfft.

I guess we all stereotypically think Americans are huge because of the NFL, Basketball, Wrestling, Hollywood playing roles bigger than they actually are etc. But it appears to me Americans really aren't that tall of a nation, even Irish people I would say are potentially bigger.

I presume the reason you started this rather stupid thread will rear itself soon. In the meantime, through the unbelievable hardship of typing 'average height by country' in the thing known as "google"....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They used to be taller than Europeans but have since been overtaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

It's worth noting that there is a relatively significant difference in heights for a given race amongst Americans.
    White Americans average 5 feet 10.4 inches
    Blacks 5 feet 10.1 inches
    Mexican-Americans 5 feet 7.2 inches

Across the board, you generally see the 'average male American' height at something like 5'9"-5'10".

It's also worth noting that it's not as easy to measure someone's height as you might think - for example: the average person is up to a full inch taller in the morning than when they go bed. And, people's height's decline from adulthood as they continue to age. A study of 29 year old males will show a greater height than 59 year old males - even if it's the same participates 30 years later.

If you want to get a meaningful comparison, you'll need to ensure that these factors are controlled for. Most websites on the web can't be arsed to do this. Wikipedia's page, for example, shows several different values for the average American depending on what group did the study and who they selected. Some countries - like Ireland - have data that is 'self reported'; which is highly suspect.

If you pull up a few different sites that list heights by nationality - you'll quickly find that they disagree with each other. I've found sites that say Germans are taller than UKers who are taller than Americans and I've found sites that say Americans are taller than Germans who are taller than UKers, and many other combinations.

So, I can't tell you who is really taller.

I *can* tell you that the median height difference between American and European countries is small enough to be insignificant. The choice in footwear would have more influence on how tall someone appears than their nationality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Have many American friends, have been there a number of times. Never noticed that they were particularly shorter. I'm 5'11. They were at least my own height if not taller. Women could be shorter, but men were generally same as or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Its an evolutionary development, they have no natural predators so they become smaller:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

RichieC wrote: »

I can't remember who did it, but on the radio maybe around a month ago they were saying some study proved that.

The only American I know is 6ft 7, he is African american if that makes a difference. I have Irish relatives over there and they are all tiny.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Its probably because a lot of them are fat and so they look smaller, a thin 5'8 man will look a lot taller than a fat 5'8 man.

Let's see....

If you took 100 US men - maybe 30 of them would be clinically obese.
    If you took 100 Irish men - maybe 26 of them would be clinically obese.

I'm not sure that would be a significant difference that would interfere with your ability to estimates someone's height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Nodin wrote: »

I presume the reason you started this rather stupid thread will rear itself soon. In the meantime, through the unbelievable hardship of typing 'average height by country' in the thing known as "google"....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

That wiki link shows how delusional Irish men are about their height. No way is the average height of Irish men 5'10". The average height for women is more realistic at 5'4 1/2". Just noticed that the heights were "self reported". It figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

There generally more stupider than Europeens imho :D

I dunno, Europeens are pretty stupid....

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

RichieC wrote: »

I'm 6ft on the button.

I've noticed Americans seem to be chunkier people, and their heads are generally huge!

Had to get a jibe in somewhere eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

They're .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

facemelter wrote: »
    They're .........

Yup, not in all cases now mind but their are generally imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

No, they are just far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Robdude wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that it's not as easy to measure someone's height as you might think - for example: the average person is up to a full inch taller in the morning than when they go bed.

Wtf :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I heard that they defeat us in the Gentleman's area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I would have said the exact opposite-most Americans I've met have been very big people (and I don't mean fat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

In america everyone is the same height because of the first second amendment.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

facemelter wrote: »
    They're .........

Yup, not in all cases now mind but their are generally imo :)

Oh for God's sake, I've just had an infraction for being a grammar nazi.

Then this happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Whats an american ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Short arse :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

No, just wider..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    No, just wider..

i.e. taller lying down than standing up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Probably all down to difference in diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This is a completely pointless thread!

It's impossible to generalise about the physical attributes of Americans as the US and Canada are largely populated by immigrants from all over the world. It is one of the most diverse places on earth.

There's no "typical American".

Europe's increasingly hard to generalise about as people move around much more than they used to.

Advertisement