Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quay

Options
  • 30-04-2012 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Has turned into one big accident black spot. When the cars are waiting to pull into city square car park there are cars overtaking on the inside and some waiting til the car in front has turned right. The disastrous work that they did extending the car park will lead to many accidents.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do you mean cars turning into the Car Park from the bridge direction, and not the Tower Hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I think he means further down by the turn into City Square. If it's that section then it's a complete joke and a disaster. Why the city council did it, nobody knows only them. There are still loads of drivers unfamiliar with the section and getting caught out at the very last second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Coming from the bridge at ulster bank there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Okay so your in a queue waiting to turn right when there is a break in oncoming traffic. So if your not waiting, you go into the inner left lane and continue onwards to the Tower Hotel.

Where is the problem? I'm still not seeing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

The part that cuts the lanes from 2 to 1 all of a sudden and then reopens to 2 lanes. That small section I guess.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    The part that cuts the lanes from 2 to 1 all of a sudden and then reopens to 2 lanes. That small section I guess.

Yeah, I mentioned that problem in another thread. I assume its still work in progress and will eventually be a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

The contractor who was doing the work on the quays and the footpath areas around the Mall over the last 12-14 months has gone to the wall recently so all works have come to a stop until the City Council get another contractor to complete the works. This will probably take a considerable amount of time due to tendering etc so expect the quays to be a bit of a traffic nightmare for quite some time yet.

Coming from the bridge towards the Tower Hotel is a bit mental of late with the lanes going from 2 into 1 lane then back to 2 lanes again, entrances to car parks on the left as you come down the quays, traffic lane hopping to avoid right turning traffic etc, lets hope there is no serious accidents.

They were taking their time anyway with the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

After thhe thread i started about this i posted on the council facebook page, they directed someone else. i got a complete cotton wool answer as to when the rounabout at the gpo would be finished. If they just closed the left lane from the clock tower down it would be safer. As it is i have seen so many near misses. I just avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've seen a few near misses in the last few days. The Quay is in an awful state.

• Advertisement

Road works on the Quay atm, and further down outside Waterford Crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

pretty bad alright, but those of us who've done karting lessons get to the Tower lights on the front row in pole with a hard left onto Lombard and a straight run to Park, chink left, up the hill to Newtown, hard left, into the chicane ...... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

I agree it is very messy but is there not signs further back warning of the 2 lanes merging into 1. I find this a problem with many drivers these days that they just don't look at roadsigns. Another example would be the road from Mooncoin to Carrick (I know is not waterford just an example). I drive this road everyday and there is always one idiot who doesn't see the sign for the two lanes merging to one and nearly cause's an accident. Drivers need to be more aware of everthing around them not just the road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Roundabout supposed to be past post office , so if you were coming from clock tower to city square you'd have to go around the roundabout and head back up the quay to city square .

That will jelp if we ever get it. I find everyone is in the right hand lane at the clock tower but as soon as some one indicates to turn right at city square theres a squarmish to under take and thats where it gets dangerous. The near miss i had was when i slowed on the right hand lane to let the car in front turn right and the car behind swung into the left then the right lane, just i was moving off. He came inches away from my car then hit the brakes, then hit the poles in the hatched area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

From driving the Quay most days, Ive come to the conclusion that very few people know how to use multiple lanes at all. Constantly people stopping in them,switching over and over for no reason, driving half n half and just causing mayhem in general.
    Single lanes with the 2 roundabouts and no crossovers will work much better when its done. It'll slow the traffic down granted but it'll be safer

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

From driving the Quay most days, Ive come to the conclusion that very few people know how to use multiple lanes at all. Constantly people stopping in them,switching over and over for no reason, driving half n half and just causing mayhem in general.
    Single lanes with the 2 roundabouts and no crossovers will work much better when its done. It'll slow the traffic down granted but it'll be safer

Don't talk to me about clowns double parking and blocking entire lanes of traffic at Shaws and at Traceys (or whatever its called now). They drive me mental. They just pull in there and stick on the hazard lights oblivious to the disruption they cause.

padraig.od wrote: »
    Don't talk to me about clowns double parking and blocking entire lanes of traffic at Shaws and at Traceys (or whatever its called now). They drive me mental. They just pull in there and stick on the hazard lights oblivious to the disruption they cause.

Thats cause they have the idea of there being an entire other lane to use. I've lost count how many times Ive have to slam on the brakes because the knob in front suddenly stops and puts on his hazards so, god forbid, the middle aged cow in the passenger seat has to walk more then 5 feet to shaws

i've seen my father just stop behind a car that did that at dooleys and 'sit' on the horn until the car pulled off..... glad i dont live in a flat in town anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

decies wrote: »
    Roundabout supposed to be past post office , so if you were coming from clock tower to city square you'd have to go around the roundabout and head back up the quay to city square .

I beg to differ,you should be in the right hand lane and indicate to turn right into exchange street,there is no need to use roundabout unless of course there is a no right turn sign at the junction of the quay and exchange street,which i think is highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

I beg to differ,you should be in the right hand lane and indicate to turn right into exchange street,there is no need to use roundabout unless of course there is a no right turn sign at the junction of the quay and exchange street,which i think is highly unlikely.

I dont think therell be any crossovers. Think the plan is for a central island the length of the quay except from the roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i've seen my father just stop behind a car that did that at dooleys and 'sit' on the horn until the car pulled off..... glad i dont live in a flat in town anymore.

That's generally my approach to these idiots too. I never understood why the guards didn't just patrol that section for just a few days solid, giving tickets to everyone who did that. Would have solved the problem years ago.

rayc wrote: »
    That's generally my approach to these idiots too. I never understood why the guards didn't just patrol that section for just a few days solid, giving tickets to everyone who did that. Would have solved the problem years ago.

Theyd make a fortune giving tickets if they set up camp between AIB and Dooleys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Thats pretty ignorant from your father as well in fairness.

Like it or not the road is poorly designed, and people will need to stop in the left hand lane now and again with the current setup down there. There is a bus station there, hotels, dozens of shops and hardly anywhere to let someone out.

While I don't agree with people stopping in the lane, common sense has led me to never use the left lane until I go past the bus station when I'm turning left over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

hardybuck wrote: »
    Thats pretty ignorant from your father as well in fairness.

Like it or not the road is poorly designed, and people will need to stop in the left hand lane now and again with the current setup down there. There is a bus station there, hotels, dozens of shops and hardly anywhere to let someone out.

While I don't agree with people stopping in the lane, common sense has led me to never use the left lane until I go past the bus station when I'm turning left over the bridge.

Why can't they turn onto Vulcan st and leave the person out? Or drive up O'Connell st. and leave the person out? Rather than block an entire lane of traffic on one of the busiest roads in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Why can't they turn onto Vulcan st and leave the person out? Or drive up O'Connell st. and leave the person out? Rather than block an entire lane of traffic on one of the busiest roads in the city?

2 reasons Padraig:
    1. ignorance
    2. no courtesy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sometimes possible, but if you take the hotels and the bus station into account, you're often going to have people with bags and suitcases, as well as old people etc. who will ideally have a closer drop off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hardybuck wrote: »
    Sometimes possible, but if you take the hotels and the bus station into account, you're often going to have people with bags and suitcases, as well as old people etc. who will ideally have a closer drop off point.

Yeah, i wouldnt mind tourist buses but 99% of time, its some lad who nipped in to pay his insurance, into shop etc. If the person is capable of walking and its not the middle of the night, turning up Vulcan street/O'Connell st. should be fine, its only a small extra few metres to the pedestrian crossing.

outside dooleys there's usually one car parked a foot from the zebra crossing, on yellow lines. not great but not blocking the road. my father loses the plot when another car stops beside this car blocking the lane.

i agree the bus station is a nightmare, the car parks either side are €5 per exit so you cant even go in for 20 mins. train station is worse i always get picked up at jury's instead of waiting 20 mins to get onto the roundabout.

what company was doing the work on the roundabout?

• Advertisement

Theres always cars outside shaws aswell making it a complete nightmare to see if youre pulling out from gladstone street

Advertisement