Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Just to add to the issues the OP refers to, the entrance to the car park by the clock tower requires one to turn across two lanes of oncoming traffic from the bridge. I have never found that to be a problem if people keep their wits about them and exploit a gap. However, once turned into the ticket machine lane one finds the machine and barrier installed on the outside of the tight access bend. I drive a large car, and I can't get in close enough to the machine without having to get out to get a ticket. The bend radius is less than the length of my car! That means if there are two others following me in, the last one is likely to have his ass sticking out into the carriageway.

So why couldn't the corpo have put the barrier and ticket machine further into the car park on a straight stretch? For God's sake it would only cost them a couple of parking bays!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

rayc wrote: »
    I never understood why the guards didn't just patrol that section for just a few days solid, giving tickets to everyone who did that.

A few reasons i've been told:

A: The torrent of abuse they get ("Go catch proper criminals")
    B: Regardless of how long they stay there, the second they leave someone will pull in
    C: People will complain that the Guards do nothing but issue tickets

As for the roadworks, it's patience that causes accidents, or lack thereof. God forbid you'd be held up 10-15 seconds getting to that important place you have to go... I've a simple solution; close the left hand lane 20 meters back, then people will have no choice but to wait for the car turning right to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

with the newish taxi renk outside aib i see more taxis just stopping in the middle of the road and u turning across the 2 lanes into their rank , wont be long before theres a big smash......

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Hoffmans wrote: »
    with the newish taxi renk outside aib i see more taxis just stopping in the middle of the road and u turning across the 2 lanes into their rank , wont be long before theres a big smash......
    The town seems to be held to ransom by taxis everywhere i look theres a taxi rank nearly always with more cars then it was designed for. its like a couple of hundred taxi drivers ganged up on the town and said "we are way more taxis than you need, cater for us"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Quay is nothing short of a disaster. I always make sure now that I'm in the right hand lane at the traffic lights at the Clock Tower, but then you can get caught behind someone turning into City Square. If you're lucky you'll have a chance to undertake them, if not you're sat there. I got caught in the left hand lane not so long ago, and had to wait to pull out into the right hand lane. I clearly had my indicator on, was waiting on a break in traffic to pull into the right hand lane, as were a few cars behind me. I saw my chance and had just started to pull out when the twat behind me shot out into the lane before me, don't know how he didn't go into me. I know the Quay well, it's the thoughts of anyone who's just passing through, not having a clue what's going on. Going in the other direction is a pure nightmare, once you get to Dooley's up until the bridge, you're avoiding the parked cars and buses, while trying not to cut up someone in the right hand lane. And don't get me started on the people who won't walk a few extra feet to cross safely at a crossing, and walk out in the middle of the traffic, kids and all:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

73Cat wrote: »
    And don't get me started on the people who won't walk a few extra feet to cross safely at a crossing, and walk out in the middle of the traffic, kids and all:mad:

I saw a woman yesterday evening, trying to cross right by the GPO, standing in the middle of what was basically a maelstrom of traffic, on the phone :eek:

A woman was killed right at that spot about a year ago, and there's a perfecty good crossing just a wee bit further down. Why the fcuk don't they use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

3 cars parked in the 'roundabout' at the gpo today.

friend from cork just laughs at our quay, ' you wouldn't get away with crap like that in cork'. he just cant understand why the cops dont sort it.

i miss shopping in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Just saw a car stop opposite the Grandville in the left lane before the lights at the clock tower, hazard lights on for a good 5 minutes while they let people out and got their luggage.

Caused chaos, what with cars trying to undercut/overtake and reshuffle for the lights. So dangerous!

I absolutely hate The Quay!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i agree the bus station is a nightmare, the car parks either side are €5 per exit so you cant even go in for 20 mins. train station is worse i always get picked up at jury's instead of waiting 20 mins to get onto the roundabout.

what company was doing the work on the roundabout?

I have to agree with ya the train station roundabout is a joke. People pulling passed the white line, blocking the entrance to the train station and then waving at ya happily as they pull out infront of ya, because you have no other option then to slow down to a crawl or stop to leave them out. Assholes.

People walking across the Quay is a joke. Plenty of pedestrian crossings on it.

As anyone notice the increasing number of pulling into the turn right box at the end of bunkers hill when the light from bunker hill to bath street is red.

Was behind a learner drive the other day and this woman pulls all the way down and into the box. The poor learner smashed on the brakes, say he thought she wasn't going to stop. And the other day, spotted another person doing it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I agree it is very messy but is there not signs further back warning of the 2 lanes merging into 1. I find this a problem with many drivers these days that they just don't look at roadsigns. Another example would be the road from Mooncoin to Carrick (I know is not waterford just an example). I drive this road everyday and there is always one idiot who doesn't see the sign for the two lanes merging to one and nearly cause's an accident. Drivers need to be more aware of everthing around them not just the road ahead.

In fairness while some of that behaviour on the Carrick road might be down to people not looking at the road signs, I find that more often than not it's down to people trying to "beat the traffic", racing to the front so they don't get stuck behind anybody. I drive a motorbike so it's not like i take up as much road as a car and I've lost count of the number of times even i've had to swerve in towards the hard shoulder to avoid being ploughed out of it by someone racing up beside me even after the broken white line has disappeared.
    decies wrote: »
    Roundabout supposed to be past post office , so if you were coming from clock tower to city square you'd have to go around the roundabout and head back up the quay to city square .

Yeah the bit of work that was being done the last time I was on the Quay (about 2 weeks ago) seems to point to the roundabout being down further from the turn to city square.
    I have to agree with ya the train station roundabout is a joke. People pulling passed the white line, blocking the entrance to the train station and then waving at ya happily as they pull out infront of ya, because you have no other option then to slow down to a crawl or stop to leave them out. Assholes.

People walking across the Quay is a joke. Plenty of pedestrian crossings on it.

As anyone notice the increasing number of pulling into the turn right box at the end of bunkers hill when the light from bunker hill to bath street is red.

Was behind a learner drive the other day and this woman pulls all the way down and into the box. The poor learner smashed on the brakes, say he thought she wasn't going to stop. And the other day, spotted another person doing it....

That drives me bonkers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

What drives me insane is approaching the bridge from the Newrath road side, I'm in the lane for the Quay and someone else is in the lane for Bridge street and when we get around the roundabout they cut in right in front of me to go into the Quay lane on the bridge. Almost every time I've come that way it happens, pure ignorance not reading the multitude of signs or thinking they will skip the line of traffic and hop in in front of me. Wouldn't wanna have bad brakes or lose concentration going around!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That drives me bonkers!!

Lads, ye need to get over yereselves or ye'll drop dead from stress.

It's hard to get out of that train station, and mostly you move forward about a foot at a time, braking because someone coming over the bridge is bombing straight at you at 45 mph. It's madness there.

They should just put traffic lights there, now that the old N25 is no longer the only route through the city. They can leave the left-slip lane in place for traffic coming out of the city going to the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Still and all, inconveniences aside, it's a handy enough town to drive through if you're chilled about it. 20 mins from one end to the other in most cases, 10 from Williamstown to the bridge on a quiet day. Try driving somewhere like Palermo if you want real stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Or "one way Wexford"

What drives me insane is approaching the bridge from the Newrath road side, I'm in the lane for the Quay and someone else is in the lane for Bridge street and when we get around the roundabout they cut in right in front of me to go into the Quay lane on the bridge. Almost every time I've come that way it happens, pure ignorance not reading the multitude of signs or thinking they will skip the line of traffic and hop in in front of me. Wouldn't wanna have bad brakes or lose concentration going around!

Totally agree, but there's a sign missing. There used to be a big one just across from swan plastics, showing which lane you should be in and saying 'get into lane'. But when they renamed the roads they never replaced it. Also the road markings on the lanes before the pedestrian crossing is completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

fricatus wrote: »

It's hard to get out of that train station, and mostly you move forward about a foot at a time, braking because someone coming over the bridge is bombing straight at you at 45 mph. It's madness there.

They should just put traffic lights there, now that the old N25 is no longer the only route through the city. They can leave the left-slip lane in place for traffic coming out of the city going to the M9.

We're talking about people coming from sallypark that block the entrance to the train station. Not getting out of the train station

fricatus wrote: »

Ah yeah sure I forgot it's perfectly legal and safe to stop on a roundabout and block traffic to allow other road users, who don't understand what white lines represent, to proceed onto the roundabout :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

or people who are in the right hand lane with a comnplete view to their right (traffic comming from Waterford) to edge over the white line and blocking those in the left lane from seeing past them, which then in turn forces those in the left lane out over their white line thus blocking the entrance to the train station:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I agree, worst decision every made, this has made this area a bottle neck, traffic gets piled up as people are turning right to go into City Square Parking, then they try to go into the outside lane to in front of the traffic, its a nightmare and the person who drew those plans should be repromanded,

By the way have any of you that have complained about this here actually contacted Waterford City Council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I agree, worst decision every made, this has made this area a bottle neck, traffic gets piled up as people are turning right to go into City Square Parking, then they try to go into the outside lane to in front of the traffic, its a nightmare and the person who drew those plans should be repromanded,

By the way have any of you that have complained about this here actually contacted Waterford City Council?

Have you? And could you detail how you did please.

• Advertisement

I believe some other posters have actually stated that they have contacted the Council, as have I. First it was to try to figure out what their plans are and then to tell them what mad yokes they're being.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I believe that when(or if) it gets finished it'll be a massive improvement on the current layout. The design of it would put a stop to straddling & blocking lanes, pedestrians standing in the middle of the road and people blocking lanes to cross over.
    The biggest complaint seems to be the crossing over to CS car park and this will be gone because of the roundabount at the GPO.
    Granted the stop in construction is a balls and leaves a mess right now but I cant see the problem with the actual final plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

batm!ke wrote: »
    Have you? And could you detail how you did please.

Following me now eh?

Yeah i have rang up and i was told its unfinished, the problem with alot of people is that they complain and complain and complain yet they fail to actually take action which makes their complaints useless just annoying

I posted on their facebook page and i was told to complain directly. I got a generic e-mail back detailing how much waterford cc is spending on improving the city / viking triangle etc. Nothing really about a safety problem during construction or a date for completion or the company going out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Bards wrote: »
    or people who are in the right hand lane with a comnplete view to their right (traffic comming from Waterford) to edge over the white line and blocking those in the left lane from seeing past them, which then in turn forces those in the left lane out over their white line thus blocking the entrance to the train station:mad:

+ 1,000,000!!
    This is always happening to me at that spot. If you don't edge forwards to try and see past the car blocking your view of what's coming over the bridge, you are therefore hesitating that little bit to pull out. Then sometimes you are not moving quick enough for some impatient person behind you:(. If you do edge out, you risk blocking the entrance to the train station. People that block my view at roundabouts are on my hit list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

73Cat wrote: »
    + 1,000,000!!
    This is always happening to me at that spot. If you don't edge forwards to try and see past the car blocking your view of what's coming over the bridge, you are therefore hesitating that little bit to pull out. Then sometimes you are not moving quick enough for some impatient person behind you:(. If you do edge out, you risk blocking the entrance to the train station. People that block my view at roundabouts are on my hit list!!

People who do this at any junction are on mine. The Northern gate of the industrial estate can be hell for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Came across 2 cars parked in the centre of the bridge a few months back. Never seen something like that before, completely blew my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Totally agree, but there's a sign missing. There used to be a big one just across from swan plastics, showing which lane you should be in and saying 'get into lane'. But when they renamed the roads they never replaced it. Also the road markings on the lanes before the pedestrian crossing is completely gone.

There are still signs there though but they could do with making it more obvious!!! Road markings could do with being redone all over town, don't get me started on speed bumps not being painted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

There are still signs there though but they could do with making it more obvious!!! Road markings could do with being redone all over town, don't get me started on speed bumps not being painted!
    never mind painting the speed bumps, it's more important we stop them breeding!! It's like every time I go into town there's a new one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

OK I take it all back. I don't drive much so seldom get hassled over the quay (hence previous statements of mine on this topic).

This morning changed all that. A tailback that went the entire length of the quay from the Tower Lights right up to those at the bridge. 35 mins to go the length of the quay starting at 08:30am.

The cause? An absolute asshole of a coach driver parked outside Tracey's Hotel, not using the inadequate loading bay outside. Oh no, this clown parked at the traffic lights and completely blocked the left lane for nearly an hour. Traffic going over the bridge from the quay at that hour usually gets very little time. This clown cut that in half.

Dozens of people late for work and school.

I can understand the need to pick up/set down guests but peak times and to obstruct traffic lights? I don't think so.

Hotel emailed, City Council cc'd.

So endeth my first ever bitch-fit on Boards :p

577474_3111984806519_1471359038_32188524_97320476_n.jpg

Advertisement