Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connectivity problem

Options
  • 30-04-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭

I have a router problem that's doing my flipping head in, help would be most appreciated

We have 25mb UPC and using their standard Cisco 2425, all has been well up until the last week or so. I can connect to the router but speeds have been terrible, but the problem seems to be the connection between comp+router rather than the line.

I get full 5 bars wifi strength, excellent signal... but the connection speed to the router drops from 54mbps on connection down to 24, 12, 6...etc.. and eventually sticks at 1.0mbps.

I've tried changing the channel of the signal, updating the driver of my wireless card but nothing is doing the job. Technician from UPC has come out and didn't have a clue either, they're sending out an N standard modem to see if that helps but I'm not sure it will.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Strength does not necessarily equate to quality. What sort of speeds do you get when connected by a cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Connected via ethernet cable I get solid 25mb download speed and no issues there, just seems to be something interfering with the wireless signal.

Just to clarify, when I say the connection speed to the router I dont mean the bandwidth and download speed.. but as in the actual connection properties like here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pmBvR6IlLuw/TCCaPgmxTBI/AAAAAAAADgs/yV0vjCwrjf8/s1600/IMG_3429.JPG

And this will drop to 1.0mbps no matter where I am in the house :(

DL speeds will be anywhere between 200kbps and 4mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Have you checked Inssider to see what channels are congested?

I haven't, but will give that a shot tonight and see if it sheds any light on the problem. Thanks!

Ok so I ran inSSIDer now, and it showed me there was a couple of networks around on the same channel (11)

So I tinkered around and tried some more channels, but no improvement to the connection

I did notice however, the router appears to be broadcasting twice with alternating Mac addresses...is this normal??

• Advertisement

How are you testing your speed? Are you running a speedtest, or are you judging it from the Connection Properties dialog?

Both. Running a speed test through http://speedtest.magnet.ie and monitoring the connection speed in the properties (and this is what is dropping to 1mbps and causing the problem as far as I can tell)

UPC are upgrading me to the N modem this afternoon, I'll see how that goes.

Ok, they didn't upgrade me for some reason, and appear to have done absolutely **** all :mad:

Do you have a cordless landline phone?

roast wrote: »
    Do you have a cordless landline phone?

Nope, and nothing else in the house that would be sending a wireless signal. Could be the neighbours I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Austo77

same thing has happened to me in the last few days. Brand new laptop - about 3 weeks old. Signal keeps dropping when I go downstairs, even now upstairs about 4 feet away from Cisco router, i've got 2 bars of signal strength. Keep losing connectivity and connecting again every few seconds.

Signal on my girlfriends laptop is perfect though, anywhere in the house.

drivers up to date etc, and mine works perfectly with ethernet cable.

any suggestions?

Some progress. I renamed the SSID, changed the security to WEP-128bit, and changed the channel aswell and everything seems to be back to normal bar the xbox not connecting properly.. but it's a start :)

Advertisement