Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an old Raleigh MTB Roadworthy again

Options
  • 30-04-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Guys, just looking a few tips about the above.
    Long story short – I’ve been carting my road bike up and down the motorway at weekends for ages and am getting tired of it. I use the road bike for long rides at the weekend down home but also the relatively short trip to & from the office during the week.
    I want to just leave the road bike down home and use an old Raleigh Max for the weekdays cycle to work.
    The problem is, it has been neglected for quite a while and needs a few things done to it. I’ve attached a few photos for an idea.

What I want to know is;
    Wheels – Can they be ‘converted’ to use those easy release skewers? The back one is slightly bucked, when a certain point passes through the brake pads it stops. Should I get this repaired or just get a new wheel? I’ve had a look on ebay and there seems to be quite a lot of relatively cheap ones, I’m just afraid of getting the wrong thing!
    Tyres look ok on it. They are 26x 1.96.
    Chain/gears – They’re very rusted. I intend to just give them a good brushing and plenty of oil, Anything else I should do?
    Bits of the frame have faded or are rusted. I was just going to spray paint it black. Any recommendations on the correct type paint to use?

Sorry for coming across as such a n00b, but I don't really know what I'm at

Images below;
    imag0225gj.th.jpg
    imag0226ux.th.jpg
    imag0227h.th.jpg
    imag0228dq.th.jpg
    imag0229jf.th.jpg
    imag0230ve.th.jpg
    imag0231h.th.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Quick release would be easy to do, but if its for commuting they make it a bit easier for someone to rob the wheel.

With regards to the buckle you could always try and pick a wheel up off another old bike. If you've a local bike shop they might have one they're waiting to throw out?

Advertisement