Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those on combined gp care please answer?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi I am 37 weeks 3 days pregnant and Im curious as to know whether there will be any internal checks at my gp antenatal appointments to see whether I have dialated or not. I have read other web sites and it seems quiet common in the states but Ive not read about anything like this here? Good luck tomorrow and thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Hi!
    I am 38 weeks with my second, and neither with my first nor with this one have I had internal examinations. Im from Canada and these are common practice also there. Got hospital apt tomorrow 38+2 and was kind of expecting them to do it at this stage (had the first at 37wks, so thought maybe they just did it in the very last stretch).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sexykitten7258

That's interesting to know. If they do will you post another reply. I'm not due to go back to gp till later this week. Maybe I should ask her. I've only had my urine and blood pressure and babies heart beat checked by both midwives and doctors at my appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I had a baby 1 and a half years ago and never had an internal exam.. i think the doctors avoid this now as it is very uncomfortable and unnecessary, they used to be standard practice years ago when my mum had me.

When I was 40 weeks I had a hospital appointment instead of the midvives clinic/GP and was asked if I would like a membrane sweep. I accepted because I wanted to go into labour. It was very uncomfortable but not sore, kind of like a smear but I could feel him poking around a bit, to break the membranes. I had some slight bleeding after, which is normal, but didn't have the baby until 8 days later.

So relax, I don't think you will have any internal exams.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm 12 days off my due date and have never had an internal during my pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Having been through one pregnancy, labour and delivery I couldn't think of anything worse than unnecessary internal exams. They're so uncomfortable.

From my experience you'll go through a lot of contractions before you get to 1cm dilated. I was having intermittent mild contractions for 15 hours and very strong ones for 4 hours before I was 1cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

i gave birth when i was 13 days overdue and the 1st internal i got was actually the sweep i got when i was 9 days overdue. then i was induced on day 13.

i don't know of anyone that's got a "routine" internal

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

On my 2 I never got an internal from mg GP. Got first ones in hospital when they checked to see if I had started active labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Well I can confirm it as well, no internal exam. Personally, I dont mind either way. We are used to them in Canada as we would have them for smears every year from the age of about 14, so I cant say I would make a big deal about it. For example, my sister in law who had her baby there last week was able to get an educated guess from her consultant going by the dilation and effacement, unecessary granted but interesting to know as soon as something is happening.
    I must say this appointment today at 38+2 was a very fast blood pressure, feel the baby and that was it with the doctor, I much prefer seeing the midwifes, they are better craic ;o) And next apt is in 3 weeks (hopefully wont get there!)

Advertisement