Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanny?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

I'm a few months off this yet but want to suss it out as an option!
    My ideal would be to have someone come to our house to look after our little girl while we both at work. I would want them 3-4 days a week ( as other than that we work opposites!) and we work funny hrs so they'd have to do 8-5.30 or 1-9.30 depending on the day, there would also be 8.30 to 6.30 every 2nd sat and 11-4 on one Sunday a month! This is also why a crèche wouldn't suit us - they wouldn't do our hrs!! A crèche near my work quoted me 900 quid for 4 days a week. Would a nanny cost more? How do u find a nanny?? I'd be so fussy cos first time mum and hugely overprotective!!! I'm also a controlling type of person ( but at least honest!!!) so would really need them to take direction well!! I'd also need them to do very light housework - loading dishwasher , popping on a wash etc.
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to go about it and how much?!
    I'd like them for at least a yr- prob longer!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If you want a nanny to mind your child in your home then you become an employer so you pay a salary net of deductions wtc. You'd also have to pay for public holidays and annual leave. The other option is that your nanny is a contractor so you pay a fixed snout and she/he pays tax themselves.

I'd guess that both options would be more than €900 a month especially if you want them to work weekends and do light housekeeping. There are other parenting websites with forums advertising for nannies and where they advertise their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

If you want a nanny to mind your child in your home then you become an employer so you pay a salary net of deductions wtc. You'd also have to pay for public holidays and annual leave. The other option is that your nanny is a contractor so you pay a fixed snout and she/he pays tax themselves.

I'd guess that both options would be more than €900 a month especially if you want them to work weekends and do light housekeeping. There are other parenting websites with forums advertising for nannies and where they advertise their services.

Thanks!
    Yikes sounds complicated!! :)
    Which sites are good for recommendations?
    Was working it out there are if we can manage ( which I think we could just about ) with 28 hrs nanny cover a week at 8.65 ( min wage) it would work out around 968 a month, the extra 68 quid would be worth it for us, the only thing is where to find someone to work the non 9-5 hrs...!! Someone we trust at that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Employers PRSI could be up to €120 per month on top of the wages also you would pay that every month even when you're on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Employers PRSI could be up to €120 per month on top of the wages also you would pay that every month even when you're on holidays.

:(:(

There goes the child benefit??!
    Really don't see what option I have tho.. Have to go back to work, can't not work the weird hrs :(
    Money money money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

We've always used an Au Pair. They live with you 24/7, they have their own room and they have absolutely no living expenses plus you pay them about €80 per week. In our experience typically when you're home they'll buzz of into their room like teenagers not to be seen or heard again until the next morning.

It is in some ways a bit like having another child in the house since a 18/20 yr old can have some perculiar notions like the one that wouldn't eat anything with onions in it. However that same girl was particularly good with arts and helped our baby develop well with those faculties.

Aside from just minding the child/children you can plan in your deal for them to do some light household chores; cleaning, washing, ironing, preparing some meals etc. This is something that's open to abuse by many Irish employers but we've always treated the girls as though it was our daughter working abroad and gave them the highest respect. In return we've been rewarded with loyal, hard working and giving girls.

To stop vacationers abusing us we only agree to pay for their flights if they stay for more than 6 months.

We choose girls that speak a particular foreign language (mother's tongue) and they speak only that language with our child. Our child is now fully bi-lingual.

One more plus to having a girl on full time is that when you'd like a night out you don't have to pay extra for a baby sitter. This is often rewarded by trips out with the family for them, sight seeing, the zoo, Aqua center for example.

At the end of their term with your family though it can be hard for both sides as you part ways but things like Facebook make it a lot easier.

To try it out visit www.aupair.com For 30 euro you get 90 days full communication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement