Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I book into a hotel in Dublin using my sister/parents credit card?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

In a nutshell I need to book into a hotel in Dublin for a job interview but I don't have my own credit card. My sister and my father both have one and they said it's no problem that I use one of theirs but will this cause a problem at the hotel when I arrive?

I'm 22 (I'll be 23 when booking into the hotel in fact) so I'm old enough to book in alone but does the persons name on the card need to be the person booking in? I'm intending to book the hotel online so I'm just wondering what to do.
    Tagged:

Comments

ElleElleB wrote: »
    In a nutshell I need to book into a hotel in Dublin for a job interview but I don't have my own credit card. My sister and my father both have one and they said it's no problem that I use one of theirs but will this cause a problem at the hotel when I arrive?

I'm 22 (I'll be 23 when booking into the hotel in fact) so I'm old enough to book in alone but does the persons name on the card need to be the person booking in? I'm intending to book the hotel online so I'm just wondering what to do.

Its not a problem, you just pay cash at the hotel. I have done it several times for my niece.

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Agree with derek, shouldn't be a problem.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ElleElleB

Oh well that's a relief.

This is probably an obvious question but when I book online and they ask for the credit card details do they not actually charge the credit card there and then? I just thought they'd charge the card the fee but if I can pay with cash upon arrival I'm presuming they don't charge the card?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, they keep the details in case you don't show up or wreck the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

This is probably an obvious question but when I book online and they ask for the credit card details do they not actually charge the credit card there and then?

Depending on the rate and the site you are using they may charge the card at the time of booking. Hotels/sites with Advance Purchase Rates can charge the card on the day of booking and sites like HotelClub.net will charge the card on the day of booking and give you a voucher to present at the hotel.

In any case the hotel might ask you to present a card on check in to guarantee changes such as mini-bar, room service, etc. Depends on the hotel you are staying in.

Best bet is to call the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Have you a laser, most sites take this aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ElleElleB

Oh ok I understand. I'll probably book of booking.com because all the hotels are there together and it seems easy to use.

I do have a laser card yes but the hotel I was looking at asked for credit card and not laser unfortunately.

I think before I book anything Ill call the hotel in question to double check

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think before I book anything Ill call the hotel in question to double check

Ask the cardholder to book the hotel in person over the phone and explain that they will guarantee the booking but that you will pay in cash on check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree that booking over the phone is the best bet given the circumstances. Get the name of the person who takes the booking. Find out if they are actually there at the hotel, and will they be available on arrival day to confirm the authenticity of the booking, just in case there are any hiccups at check in. Many hotels ( especially one that are part of a chain) will have an off site centralized sales office that handles bookings for all hotels in the chain.

If that is the case, call the hotel after wards. Explain the circumstances of the booking and find out what policy they follow in circumstances like these. Get the name of the person that you speak to. The last thing you need is some clueless check in clerk refusing to let you check in, because you are male and the name on the credit card that secured the booking is female, or vice versa.

Advertisement