Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Xbox Lens

Options
  • 30-04-2012 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Lens of my Xbox is damaged, when I put a new game to the tray it can only read it after 5th or 6th try. Also even if it reads the cd after 5-10 mins it crashes and goes to the main screen because of can't reading the cd.

I cleaned the lens using cd lens cleaners but it didn't work.

Do you have any suggestions and/or know anyone to change the lens?

Thanks,
    Moris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

TRY using a dvd rom lens cleaner,clean lens leave it for 20mins before you try it.They sell dvd cleaning kit in 2euro shop.
    IT would be easier to replace the whole dvd drive, you could leave it into an shop, that does console repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Try asking here in the console modding forum. They will help better than we could here i'd say.

Also, it's possible to change the lens, you just have to match the lens to the brand. Here's a quick ebay search for them: here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moriskastro

Thanks for the replies. I still have 2 questions.

1) How can I learn the exact brand of my lens?

2) Is it difficult to change it myself? Or do you know anywhere that can do the change?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Moris

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

1) Here's a picture showing the different drive types, just match yours to it

2)it would require you to open up the xbox, then taking apart the dvd drive. If you're not comfortable doing something like that, then someone on the modding forum i linked above would be more than happy to help you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moriskastro

Thanks a lot for the answers, I bought a new lens and try to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

It's also worth mentioning that there are three bridged solder pads that need to be desoldered on new lasers this for anti static protection while the laser is in transit. When you've installed the new laser check to see if there is a red beam coming from the laser if not then you haven't desoldered these pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Did you try adjusting the pot on your faulty laser?I've saved many a laser from the scrapheap by doing this.

Advertisement