Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tús Bunúsach.

• 30-04-2012 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

This is my first training log on Boards, hope it goes well, I am on boards fairly regularly so hopefully it will shame me into going out for a run if I have not updated my log in a while.

To start off, I am very unfit and have never liked running, I know that is mainly because I have never stuck with it long enough to start seeing results and to build up a habit.
    Hopefully this time will be different, I have a very definite target to aim for and a set time frame to achieve it in.

I have to pass a fitness test for the RDF before 13th of July which gives me about 10 weeks.

I have a nice 2 mile course measured out from my house which is a bit harder than the course I will be running for the Fitness test.

I hope to start running a few extra miles closer to the deadline because the more training I do, and the fitter I can get in the time I have the better, getting up my fitness is one of the most important things I can do before I go on my course.

The main purpose of this log is to help with training for my fitness test, but what I would really like is to get into a habit and keep the log going after that.

Goal

2 mile run in 14 min.

Saturday 28th April.

Mile 1: 11:48
    Mile 2: 13:12

Total: 25min.

Saturday 28th April.

Mile 1: 10:25
    Mile 2: 12:04

Total: 22:30

As Saturday was my first day, I decided to do the run twice, The first one was really just to get a feel for the course and set a time to beat.
    Fairly happy with the course the last Km or so of it is down hill or flat so I can push myself coming up to the end without having to kill my self running uphill(Almost every other route around my house has a steep hill close by).

Just to note, I also do a 10 minute warm up before I start and a short walk to cool down afterwards and some stretches.

Sunday 29th April.

Mile 1: 9:58
    Mile 2: 11:55

Total: 21:53

So cold:(

Monday 30th of April

Mile 1: 11:05
    Mile 2: 12:28

Total: 23:33

Happy I went out and did the run, but I got lots of sharp pains around my upper abs which caused me to stop twice, bit disapointed with not improving on my time, still I can try again tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck with the log! Just a little advice, don't try to run fast and beat your time everyday, you will probably only end of disappointed and injured. If you run 5 days a week, run easy three days and harder two days with at least a days gap between the two sessions to allow time for recovery. Take you're time and the times will start falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

+1 on the advice above. And best of luck in the log and your goal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Go n-éirí leis an log!

What distance is the RDF fitness test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Go n-éirí leis an log!

What distance is the RDF fitness test?

Go raibh maith agat.:)

Its 3.2K, the Max time I can do it in is 15:36, but I'm aiming for 14 minutes to give myself some breathing space.

@ pconn062, Thanks for the advice, I'm taking a rest day today, Its not really that I'm trying to run hard to bring down the time at the moment, more just trying to walk less. My aim for the first rew weeks is just to increase the distance I can run for, I won't worry about my pace until I can run the whole thing.

Tuesday 1st May

Mile 1: 9:27
    Mile 2: 11:06

Total: 20:33

Legs felt fairly heavy during the run, but no sign of the pain in my upper abs so I did'nt have to stop at all. My right leg and hip felt a bit sore when I was done, but thats gone today.

Well, as promised yesterday was a rest day, though there were a few times while I was sitting in my room studying that I was getting restless and wanted to go for a run, managed not to but having to worry about preventing myself from going for a run is a bit of a novelty.

Thursday 3rd May

Mile 1: 9:13
    Mile 2: 11:34

Total: 20:47

Today saw me trade the hilly backroads around my house for the indoor running track in the UL areana, nice change of sceenery, though I prefer the hilly backroads if truth be told, no need to keep count of what lap your on and you can actually see how far you are from the finish line/home.
    Still, just means I will appreciate the fresh air and costal sceenery all the more when I get back.

• Advertisement

Friday 4th May

Mile 1: 9:29
    Mile 2: 11:28

Total: 20:57

Did something I have never done before today, I made my self take it easy while I was running, the result being that I ran a mile without stopping to walk once. I only had to walk three times during the second mile, very happy with that, I feel like I am starting to get to a place where I can build from, I know I still have a bit more of just getting out there and doing it before I can start pushing my self on and start seeing results, But I am startig to feel some progress.
    I want to get into a mind set where if my side starts to hurt or I feel I can't keep going at the pace I am at I just slow down and keep going rather than just give up and start walking, might sound obvious but its taken me until now to start thinking about it.

Saturday 5th May

Mile 1: 9:58
    Mile 2: 12:10

Total: 22:08

Felt fairly bad today, combination of a late night studying and having an Exam this morning, was really tired going round the track, took it nice and and easy and just glad to get it finished. Tomorrow is a rest day, back home again on Monday so I'm really going to push it and try for a best time.
    Bring on the backroads(and hopefully dry weather)

Monday May 7th

Mile 1: 10:03
    Mile 2: 12:18

Total: 22:21

Tuesday May 8th

Mile 1: 9:32
    Mile 2: 11:55

Total: 21:27

I was back home on monday and tuesday running on the hilly backroads around my house. I really seem to be finding it tough to get any kind of consistency. Maybe its because I had to switch running routs in the middle.
    I prefer running on the backroads to be honnest, but I think one of the main dificulties I am having is that over the last half km or so I am just trying to get to the end rather than trying to finish strongly as I would like to, this is mainly because as well as keeping track of my time for each mile, I also keep track of how far I have gotten within the actual time limit(15:30 min) this means I end up pushing myself around the 3/4 way point rather than at the end.

Not really sure if this is a good or bad idea yet, I think to see myself getting further within the time limit will help to keep myself motivated later on.

Advertisement