Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Robert McCammon fans out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

I ordered this book " Boy's Life ", a couple of days ago . It sounds like a gem, and gets exceptional universal positve reviews . I might not get around to reading it for yonks though , but looking forward to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Looks good, I've added a couple to my ''to-read'' shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

sxt wrote: »
    I ordered this book " Boy's Life ", a couple of days ago . It sounds like a gem, and gets exceptional universal positve reviews . I might not get around to reading it for yonks though , but looking forward to it!

I read it ,and enjoyed it.The book seems to strike a cord with americans in particular, and their childhood.Some of their reviews IMO are a bit over the top on this one.Having said that its still well worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Life-Robert-McCammon/dp/0671743058

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Am a big King fan and only recently read McCammon's Swansong and loved it - didn't know much about him so will try his new stuff - cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Am a big King fan and only recently read McCammon's Swansong and loved it - didn't know much about him so will try his new stuff - cheers for the tip.

I was very tempted to buy that book as well but i bottled it , I saw that it was very long book at 950 pages , so i decided to go for "Peter The Great" By Robert Massie ,as I am interested in Russian history .I presumed this book would be 400-500 pages long . Turns out "Peter the Great " was 960 pages + lol

• Advertisement

Just finished Swan Song, really enjoyed it. It's every thing The Stand isn't, but I still couldn't conclusively pick a favourite between the two tbh. Swan Song might just edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

MINE by Robert R McCammon is a must read.
    Just a class book
    Mary Terrell is an overweight and aging hippie, unstable and unable to let go of her past. Not the gentle past of flowers and peace and love, but of her persona as Mary Terror, member of the radical and violent Storm Front Brigade led by her old lover, Jack Gardiner, once known as Lord Jack.
    Lost in the past and still dropping acid, Mary's last shred of sanity snaps when she kidnaps a baby from the hospital to take to Lord Jack, to replace the baby that was killed twenty years ago when the Storm Front was captured and disbanded.

The mother goes after Mary to get her kid back and we are whisked away across the US and visit the side of the 60's often forgotten about.

DeadParrot wrote: »
    MINE by Robert R McCammon is a must read.
    Just a class book

One that's on my wish list along with Baal,Betany's Sin,Night Boat and Gone South.Its a wish list that getting longer evey Day:(.

Stinger Is a great read.If you have'nt read it yet ,give it a try.
    A UFO crash sends a small Texas town into uproar

The sun rises on Inferno and Bordertown: patches of civilization carved out of the tough Texas earth, watching each other and waiting to see which dies first. The copper mine is finished, and both towns—one for the whites and one for the Mexicans—are wasting away. Now a pair of mysterious visitors is about to make them shrink faster.

The black ball lands first. A small sphere, snapped off of an alien ship as it plummets through the atmosphere, it explodes onto Jessie Hammond’s truck. When Jessie’s daughter picks it up, the object possesses the young girl’s body and begins trying to communicate. As Jessie tries to rescue her daughter, something far more deadly sets down in the desert. An interstellar war has come to Texas, and Inferno is going to burn.

Good article here by McCammon about his Matthew Corbett series.Looks like its going to be a ten book series.:D
    I have embarked upon a journey of ten books. The first “Matthew book,” Speaks the Nightbird, wasn’t meant to be the beginning of a series. It was the story of an earnest and intelligent young magistrate’s clerk in the year 1699, who finds himself acting as the champion of justice for a woman accused of witchcraft in a small Carolina colony town. I had no intention of taking him forward. I was going to do something entirely different next, and yet…

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/06/13/the-big-idea-robert-mccammon-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm reading The Wolf's Hour at the moment. Have to say I really like it.

I've always been interested in war, WW2 especially, so I have read quite a few fictional action books set during it. It's a breath of fresh air having the fantasy aspect to it as it brings it totally new dimension to overused commando situations.

I really like when a book can go back to describe past events in detail before continuing on with the present in a new chapter/section. It makes it almost feel like a completely new book when it is done right and McCammon does it well.

I'm not a major fan of fantasy books and don't really like Stephen King so I was apprehensive when reading about McCammon on here before starting this book but it's really surprised me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm reading Swan Song right now based on the recommendations. Turns out I had read it before ages ago but had forgotten the title and author.

It's as good as I remembered, so I'm enjoying it - but I don't think it's better than The Stand. There's probably a good bit less padding which isn't a bad thing, as King has some unnecessarily long books - but it just doesn't have that epic feel to it.

I'm definitely going to get more of his books though.

Fininshed Boy's Life today, considering the reviews it's gotten I was let down tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Just finished Swan Song, and really really enjoyed it, its hard to get a good long read these these days. Books seem to be gettin thinner and thinner. I read a Boys Life a long time ago and remember it as being good. Mind me asking where people are getting his books, amazon and play.com are quiet costly considering some of the books are old enough, the book depositry seems to be the cheapest for Mccammon? Eason's dont seem to stock them at all?

Usually I get mine on Bookdepository ,or some of his older stuff on ABE books or ebay.His older books can go for crazy prices,but sometimes you can get lucky.A friend of mine is trying to get a copy of Mr Slaughter(Matthew Corbett ),even though the book is a couple years old the prices are mad.The prices on his books seem to keep increasing.Think of it as an investment.;)
    His latest Matthew Corbett series is well worth reading IMO.Its going to be a ten book series ,and four are already published.If your interested,now is probably the time to get them,before the prices go crazy.

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=robert+mccammon&page=1&searchRefined=1&searchAddedTerm=&submit=%3CSPAN%3E%3CEM%3ERefine+search%3C%2FEM%3E%3C%2FSPAN%3E&price=&availability=&format=&searchSortBy=popularity&searchLang=1

Advertisement