Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about shotgun licence

Options
  • 30-04-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

well was just wondering about the gun storeage part of the form, im only starting to shoot and this will be my first licence and gun so ill only be using a trigger lock, will the guards be out to inspect it?
    Also does anyone know what the wait time for the licence in the midlands , cavan area?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Trigger lock, disassembly, and stored in different places is the minimum storage requirements for one unrestricted shotgun. Your Super may tell you to get a safe before the license is granted. Ask your FO what the minimum the Super normally demands, then if it is a safe get one.

By ticking the box for secure storage you are saying you comply with the security storage requirements. In most cases this means safes, alarms, locks, etc, however with a single, unrestricted shotgun a trigger lock, and disassembly is the minimum so technically, until you are told otherwise, you comply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Davin123

Ezridax wrote: »
    Trigger lock, disassembly, and stored in different places is the minimum storage requirements for one unrestricted shotgun. Your Super may tell you to get a safe before the license is granted. Ask your FO what the minimum the Super normally demands, then if it is a safe get one.

By ticking the box for secure storage you are saying you comply with the security storage requirements. In most cases this means safes, alarms, locks, etc, however with a single, unrestricted shotgun a trigger lock, and disassembly is the minimum so technically, until you are told otherwise, you comply.

ok but i dont even have the gun yet need the licence to pick it up.

also i dont have a land owners permission but have my membership card for my local gun club , do i give that in aswell?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Davin123 wrote: »
    ok but i dont even have the gun yet need the licence to pick it up.
    By ticking the box you are saying you comply with the security requirements set out by your Super. All security requirements must be in place BEFORE you get the license. To tick the box, and wait until the license arrives before installing the security requirements is technically a fraudulent application.

Talk to your FO, as said above, as see what s/he requires.
    also i dont have a land owners permission but have my membership card for my local gun club , do i give that in aswell?
    You do not need individual permissions if you are a member of a gun club. Simply submit a scanned copy of the front, and back of your membership card with your FCA1
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I think you should tick the box and put a note saying you have purchased a trigger lock and have 2 places to store the broken down gun as this is the minimum which you have complied with, if they want more they can then ask for it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

i would think about getting a safe anyway regardless of mininum requirements, because you just cant be to carefull these days.

• Advertisement

ok well i do have the trigger lock and a receipt for the trigger lock so will that be alright?

and whats the usually time limit for recieving the licence im dying to get the gun before the leaving cert starts

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

i would think about getting a safe anyway regardless of mininum requirements, because you just cant be to carefull these days.

+1
    The first thing I bought when I picked up my first firearm was a safe. I didn't really need it as it was only a shotgun, but when you have kids it's a must IMO. Even if you don't have kids it's no harm for the sake of €100. Like slingshot88 said,you can't be too careful these days. Thankfully now, I'm at the stage where I may need to buy a bigger one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Longranger wrote: »
    +1
    The first thing I bought when I picked up my first firearm was a safe. I didn't really need it as it was only a shotgun, but when you have kids it's a must IMO. Even if you don't have kids it's no harm for the sake of €100. Like slingshot88 said,you can't be too careful these days. Thankfully now, I'm at the stage where I may need to buy a bigger one:D

Another +1
    I got one for my first gun which was a SXS and when I got it I made sure it was plenty big enough. A 4 gun cabinet now half full and awaiting my 3rd licence.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Got a cabinet from the off. Who want to stash the gun all over the house. If you go for minimum security requirements it's unlikely a guard will come and inspect a trigger lock IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Davin123 wrote: »
    ok well i do have the trigger lock and a receipt for the trigger lock so will that be alright?

and whats the usually time limit for recieving the licence im dying to get the gun before the leaving cert starts

it took 2 weeks for my first license which was also a shotgun.
    doesnt mean youll get yours so fast i was just lucky.
    good luck with it though and safe shooting.

• Advertisement

was just in with the guards there and they said could be 2 or 3 weeks maybe more :( the wait begins....

Advertisement