Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering an abbreviated form of a name.

Options
  • 30-04-2012 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

silly question, we have a new kid, and we want to register his name as Tom.

Is it unusual to register the abbreviated version of a name. We definitely won't ever call him Thomas.

Also, we dont have a second name in mind, I know most people have at least 2 names. I think prince charles has 4 names, we think one name is enough for anyone.

Is it unusual to register just one name ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No there was no problem with either of our child's names, even though the registar hadn't heard of them before. As long as you are happy with the spelling etc they just proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Been both of those places.
    Registered our first as the short version of a longer name with no problem.
    When it came to registering our twins a few years later, we were asked was there a second name, and we just blanked - we'd already come up with two names, so they've just one each! Not a problem there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have a short first name, and no middle name, so not unusual.

A couple of times it has been asked for, nothing significant, just online banking websites wanting a middle name for verification... That kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

MungoMan wrote: »
    silly question, we have a new kid, and we want to register his name as Tom.

Is it unusual to register the abbreviated version of a name. We definitely won't ever call him Thomas.

Also, we dont have a second name in mind, I know most people have at least 2 names. I think prince charles has 4 names, we think one name is enough for anyone.

Is it unusual to register just one name ?

Not at all. I'm working with a guy who did just that, son is called Tom on his birth cert and has no middle name, also said they would never have called him Thomas so what was the point in putting it on his birth cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

pwurple wrote: »
    A couple of times it has been asked for, nothing significant, just online banking websites wanting a middle name for verification... That kind of thing.

Interesting. Didnt think about that........I suppose to pass validation, you have to make up a middle name....
    I suppose not a problem as long as you use the same made up middle name every time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's not a problem at all... I just use my first name twice. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Must remember that pwurple. Our new baby has no middle name because we couldn't be bothered coming picking one.

Advertisement